5150/5150II/6505/6505+

Impervious

Dec 1, 2006
I'm in the market for a 5150... And I don't really know which version I should get...

I'm pretty sure I want to get a plain old 5150. But is there much (or any) difference between the 5150 and the 6505? I've head so many different opinions, and I don't know what to believe... haha. I know the 5150II supposedly has a "weaker" gain or low-end or something, so I was planning on buying either the 5150 or the 6505. But, uh... Which?

Thanks. :)

Oh yeah, and I had read in all the other threads like this one that I could find... And I never got a 100% answer on which was the "one". I know Andy Sneap has a plain 5150 in his studio (judging from the pictures on his studios website), so I figured the 5150/6505 over the 5150II/6505+... But would it be worth the hassle to get a used 5150 on Ebay, and save a few hundered bucks? Or should I just spend the extra cash, and save the pain of dealing with Ebay, and get a 6505 brand new...

That was my question...

Id get a new one under warrenty so then you dont have to risk paying out to revalve it. You may want to anyway just for a different sound but at least you will know for sure that the valves that come with it wont be burnt out

Id get a new one under warrenty so then you dont have to risk paying out to revalve it. You may want to anyway just for a different sound but at least you will know for sure that the valves that come with it wont be burnt out

Yeah, that was my only worry. I get it, and OH! The tubes are burnt out! Hm. I'll have to decide. Although seeing as it is a christmas present, I don't think the price matters, seeing as it will be my only present. Haha, so I might as well spend as much as I'm allowed.

Warranty covers revalving just for very few months or just a month, can't remember exactly.
So my worry would be about the amp being in good condintion, no malfunctions at all.
Better a brand new... but I bought on ebay a dual rectifier and it works great.
As mesa, peavy is about reliability! great amps for the price

Buying a new one is a waste of money IMO. 5150's are some of the most reliable amps ever made. Save the cash and score a used one on Ebay.

They are rock solid, and heavy in both sense of the word amps.

Big Ugly and brutal.
ebay my son

Shit! haha, it's like 50/50 between a 5150 and a 6505... Hmm... I think I'll look out on ebay, and if I see anything that is a great deal, and looks really clean, and good condition, I'll go for a 5150. Otherwise 6505... Thanks for all your help everyone. :)

I used JCM800 from the 80's for last 20years.......and everytime I fire up that little slut of a 6505+ it gives me a chubb !

I sold the JCM and dont miss it for a second

Grab which ever one of those you mentioned and can afford, their all great