~$1,200 budget, need new amp

Yeah it's definitely loud enough. It's loud as shit. But there is always the aesthetic value of a tiny amp, regardless of the volume or tone it's capable of, that some people, ahem the other guitarist in the band, have a problem with. Retarded as it is to me, rather than deal with trying to explain to him in a "nice" way that he's an idiot and should worry about how it sounds and not how it appears to the fags in the crowd, I'll just get another amp. Can never have too many anyway :)

~006

Yeah it's definitely loud enough. It's loud as shit. But there is always the aesthetic value of a tiny amp, regardless of the volume or tone it's capable of, that some people, ahem the other guitarist in the band, have a problem with. Retarded as it is to me, rather than deal with trying to explain to him in a "nice" way that he's an idiot and should worry about how it sounds and not how it appears to the fags in the crowd, I'll just get another amp.

Don't even know what to say to this... o_O

But on the other hand:

Can never have too many anyway :)

~006

:kickass:

Yeah it's definitely loud enough. It's loud as shit. But there is always the aesthetic value of a tiny amp, regardless of the volume or tone it's capable of, that some people, ahem the other guitarist in the band, have a problem with. Retarded as it is to me, rather than deal with trying to explain to him in a "nice" way that he's an idiot and should worry about how it sounds and not how it appears to the fags in the crowd, I'll just get another amp. Can never have too many anyway :)

~006

honestly, i'd probably just tell him to shut his fuckin' mouth, and be prepared to pick his jaw up off of the floor after your little krank blows his shit off the stage

Oh damn, I was actually curious where in TX you were, haha. Hmm, not really feelin' a Krankenstein TBH. Seriously though, if you see a Rev1, 5150/6505, 5150II/6505+ or even a Rev1+, let me know man!

@pouli: Not yet.

~006

Yeah for sure man, the GC down here has a bunch of stuff they have a hard time selling and slash a lot of prices. Good Luck :headbang:

So, dew it.

I've got these on the list right now:

5150/6505
5150II/6505+
Krank Rev.1 (used)

Have a Rev Jr. and Dual Recto. I need an amp mainly for live use. Something LOUD which all 3 of my choices are. I'm on the fence with the Rev1 or 5150. Or if there are any good options that I can't think of in that range please post them.

~006

You should definately look into a Bugera 6260, bro.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BUG6260

I'd say take Kurtz's offer of getting the Peavey XXX and it'll leave you plenty money left over for something else. I just got one on saturday (£700 new) and I absolutely love the thing, cleanest of cleans and a very defined distortion on the crunch and ultra channels. Tonally its not miles away from a rectifier, but its got more edge to the distortion. With the dampening switch and ability to use 6L6's or EL34's I can see it being pretty flexible.

Eh...maybe somebody missed something lol...

I already own a Bugera 333, which is a Peavey XXX clone with better mids. I'm well aware of what it can do, and the Peavey counterpart. I've also had the opportunity to A/B the two amps into my cab and I can say the Bugera definitely has better mids for my tastes. I do like the Bugera very much actually, but it saddens me to say that the Krank Rev Jr. I recently acquired spanks it badly, haha.

Anyway, neither here nor there with all that. Point was that I want a "new" head to add to the collection basically. AFA a 5150, I see no reason to spend $550 on a Bugera brand new when I can get the used Peavey for the same price or around that...might as well get the Peavey.

~006

ahh...i forgot you had the bugera

YOU SHOULD'VE MENTIONED THAT SHIT IN THE FIRST POST BEFORE I MADE MYSELF LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT

god knows i'm good enough at doing that myself...i don't need any help at it

Well...the Bugera is in that animated GIF in my signature.. :p

Anyway, I think I may say fuck getting another amp and get a faded Explorer instead, lol. I changed the voicing on the amp (333) to High instead of Mid, where I previously had it, and wow...made a big difference in the sound. I just may keep the Bugera after all...

~006

Aside from them shipping with different power tubes, am I correct in thinking the 333 and 333XL are voiced the same and just have different control sets based on those of the XXX and JSX respectively? If so, does anybody know which of those Peaveys the 333 was meant to sound like? (I'm under no illusion that Bugera was successful).

Well the 333XL has more knobs than the 333 (including a noise gate, I think) like the JSX has more than the XXX, so that's the parallel there.

Well the 333XL has more knobs than the 333 (including a noise gate, I think) like the JSX has more than the XXX, so that's the parallel there.

The JSX and XXX preamp sections aren't voiced the same, though. And since it seems likely that Bugeringer spared themselves a headache and used the same preamp design (control set differences aisde) in the 333 and 333XL, I'm wondering if:

¤ The 333 was meant to sound like a JSX with fewer knobs n' switches

or

¤ The 333XL was meant to sound like a XXX with more knobs n' switches

edit: It's like if a car company offering one model in two different trim levels: one that makes it look like a Ford; one that makes it look like a Lincoln. I'm asking if the common engine under both hoods more closely resembles the former or the latter.