Amp Recommendations

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I was hoping someone could recommend an amp for me. I currently have an early two channel Dual Rectifier and have been thinking about getting another amp. I've found a 1991 mesa MkIV, or an early block letter Peavey 5150 that I'm considering. I don't really have access to try them before buying, so I'm kinda looking at a blind purchase.

Alternatively, I've considered a JSX, 6505+, or XXX. I'm guessing the XXX and maybe even the JSX might be too much like the Dual Recto, and that if I'm looking at a 6505+, I should just go with the original 5150.

Any recommendations? I know the 5150 complements the DR nicely, but I've never played one, so I don't really know how it compares tone-wise. Also, I've heard good things about the MkIV. (These are probably two very different amps, though.)

Thanks.

If you can afford it, ENGL Savage! Or even the ENGL Powerball.

The XXX and the JSX are the same but the JSX has some extra features, like noisegate and the tone shaping is different since the JSX has Presence and resonance, instead of the three fixed modes on the XXX.

Thanks, guys. I picked up the block letter 5150. Cool stuff. AudioPhile, I think I'll keep it, but I see in another thread that you got one too. ;)

Now I just gotta figure out which tubes to run in it. This thing has the original tubes in it still!