Krank VS Mesa

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
OK so I'm now in the field of getting a new head and I'm highly considering either a Krank Krankenstein, Revolution 1 (+) or a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I've owned the Peavey XXL, XXX, JSX and 6505 and I'm looking for something with more clarity, attitude and balls. My Peavey XXX and JSX were pretty good but the 6505 I bought new (3 times) just proved to me that Peavey's current quality is shit. There not by any means bad sounding but I'm ready for something new. Now that I'm off my soapbox, let's get down to business.

• There is a used Krankenstein at my local GC in like-new condition for $999.99 but needs new tubes.
• I can get a used Mesa Dual Rectifier for about $1,200 on ebay and the only one I can try in my area has bad tubes.
• I’ve never seen/tried a Krank Revolution series head.

Anyone have experiences with recording/live situations with any of these heads?
I'm using a Marshall MF280 4x12 cabinet. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with JB/59 and soon I'll have a Gibson Explorer with EMG 81/60.

I would also like to know why so many artists left Krank (ex. Jeff Loomis, Michael Amott) and why so many people talk shit about them all over the net?

Thanks!

I have a Krank Rev1, and usually have my other guitarists triple rectifier stack at mine - have also recorded dual rectifiers quite a bit when bands have brought them in.

The Krank stuff is great, but I'd say go for the Mesa first just as its going to sound great for whatever you throw at it. I'd say the Krank is a more "unique" kind of sound. That said, I feel like a Krank is somewhere between a 6505 and a Mesa in terms of tone.

Theres quite a few clips of Kranks on this forum - see if you like the kind of flavour they have if you are considering buying one.

I have a Krank Rev1, and usually have my other guitarists triple rectifier stack at mine - have also recorded dual rectifiers quite a bit when bands have brought them in.

The Krank stuff is great, but I'd say go for the Mesa first just as its going to sound great for whatever you throw at it. I'd say the Krank is a more "unique" kind of sound. That said, I feel like a Krank is somewhere between a 6505 and a Mesa in terms of tone.

Theres quite a few clips of Kranks on this forum - see if you like the kind of flavour they have if you are considering buying one.

I tried looking up some Krank clips, I only found about 3. They sounded pretty sick. What do you mean it'll sound great for whatever you throw at it? If you're talking about styles of music then I'm mainly just looking for a metal machine :headbang:

I can't comment too much on Kranks having never played one, but Rectifiers have been on SO many albums with SO many different sounds, that I knew that's what I wanted to go for (and the footswitchable FX loop that I go on and on about :D) - for example, Nevermore's "Dead Heart in a Dead World," Opeth's "Ghost Reveries," and Decapitated's "Negation" are ALL Rectifier, and all sound awesome but also IMO totally different from one another (granted they were all different cabs, but still, god knows how many cabs I've heard a 5150 through and it still sounds like a 5150).

HOWEVER, I've loved what I've heard of Kranks, I just haven't heard much (and haven't played one). I would agree with Ed that the Rev is between the 5150 and the Recto - smoother than the Rec (less aggressive), but not as smooth as the 5150 (more midrange grind). Another big selling point of the Recto for me is being able to use EL34's, which I'm finding I prefer in general.

I can't comment too much on Kranks having never played one, but Rectifiers have been on SO many albums with SO many different sounds, that I knew that's what I wanted to go for (and the footswitchable FX loop that I go on and on about :D) - for example, Nevermore's "Dead Heart in a Dead World," Opeth's "Ghost Reveries," and Decapitated's "Negation" are ALL Rectifier, and all sound awesome but also IMO totally different from one another (granted they were all different cabs, but still, god knows how many cabs I've heard a 5150 through and it still sounds like a 5150).

HOWEVER, I've loved what I've heard of Kranks, I just haven't heard much (and haven't played one). I would agree with Ed that the Rev is between the 5150 and the Recto - smoother than the Rec (less aggressive), but not as smooth as the 5150 (more midrange grind). Another big selling point of the Recto for me is being able to use EL34's, which I'm finding I prefer in general.

Ya, after I read those forums you sent me yesterday I've been doing a lot of thinking and the recto is used on almost all my favorite albums. My personal favorite guitar mixes of all time being Doomsday Machine by Arch Enemy and Dead Heart by Nevermore. I want one of these amps so bad but can't really try any of them out here.. :erk:

I think Doomsday was Krankenstein and Mesa blended.

If i were you, i'll get the Krank Rev 1

get the dual

The only downside I'm seeing so far to the dual is the amount of tubes! o_O That's an expensive replacement.. but it might be worth it...?

I think Doomsday was Krankenstein and Mesa blended.

If i were you, i'll get the Krank Rev 1

Have you tried one out? I've heard a few clips on this forum but I want to get the most info possible before forking over lots of money! Thanks.

BTW Can anyone answer the last part of my first post?..

Not sure why they all left (probably offered better deals from other manufacturers), and the bashing is mostly from idiots who never played them. I'll say that the sweep knob can affect the tone massively and if you don't know whats going on there then you will get some funky sounds. Seriously, Kranks are good amplifiers and have been used on enough records to prove that they can sound great.

The only downside I'm seeing so far to the dual is the amount of tubes! o_O That's an expensive replacement.. but it might be worth it...?

Have you tried one out? I've heard a few clips on this forum but I want to get the most info possible before forking over lots of money! Thanks.

BTW Can anyone answer the last part of my first post?..
Probably because the company is shit (someone told me that was the case with Ammot), and that they are crap:lol:, I'm not one to talk, I've never tried them! Get the Dual Rec though (and a Maxon boost)!

Probably because the company is shit (someone told me that was the case with Ammot), and that they are crap:lol:, I'm not one to talk, I've never tried them! Get the Dual Rec though (and a Maxon boost)!

I think it's more likely that it's the guy that is doing the artist-relations/endorsements etc.

he went from Krank to Randall...so did many of the endorsees he worked with...co-incidence?

(not meant negative in any way, Jody seems to be a cool guy)

ghost reveries were many layers of different tracks and triple rec was one of them. there were other amps involved. but yea recto FTW as a sole amp. in other words the krank has good stuff but it is too genre specific. the recto is pretty well rounded and a great "only one" amp.

There's only two more tubes than in any other hi gain amp dude, and a pair of EH Rectifier tubes (AKA awesome) is only $30, and considering how crappy tube rectification sounds for hi gain IMO, you'll use them so rarely they'll probably last as long as the amp itself! Beyond those two, there's just the usual quad of power tubes and 5 preamp tubes (one of which is the Phase Inverter, so it has to be balanced, and another is for the FX loop, so it doesn't matter as much what you stick in there)

AND FINALLY, so many people jumped ship from Krank because that dude Lasse mentioned went nuts with giving people endorsements, so I'm sure it was a quantity over quality thing (as in, I'm sure many weren't treated too fantastically because there were so many others, so they didn't stick with it), and I've heard so many awesome clips of Krank that I'm convinced the only bashers are n00bs or those who listen to n00bs (to quote my man Obi Wan, "who's the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who follows him?" ;))

Hmm, never played one, but I can't think of a single album I've heard a VHT on, and they cost an absurd amount of money, so that's a pretty big pair of "passes" right there for me :)

I used to have a pittbull Classic (now known as CLX).

was a really great and very versatile amp..
I'd still go with krank, mesa. peavey for metal.

(it still makes me cry what I gave the VHT away for though....and no, I won't tell you :( )