Diezel Herbert vs ... ?

born_dead

Jan 22, 2009
Hi everyone!
I'm actually choosing an amp for my recording studio btw 5150, EVH5150, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Krank Revolution and Diezel Herbert. Extremely interested in the latter one since there's a chance of a direct exchange for my Axe-Fx 2. Things I've read about are quite controversial: some say Diezel is an incredible stuff and there's no way comparing it to the rest I mentioned, the others consider it to be overestimated and according to them 5150, Krank and Dual Rectifier sound much better.
I'm just eager to hear your opinion, hope someone here had an experience of working with those

I would get the 5153 and the dual rectifier...there you have a HUGE range of tones...
i own a 5153 and im very very happy with it >.<

Diezel's are fizzy overpriced crap. I remember going to guitar center when I was like 14 and seeing a amp that cost 4000$ and I was like holy shit, that thing must be the best amp evar! Plugged in with a USA Jackson and was shock, probably the worst amplifier I've ever plugged into. Ill take a 6505 or any Mesa over that shit any day.

Id stay away from Krank too unless your able to try it out, they get some really bad reviews over the internet.

THe 5150iii is suppose to be a more versatile 6505 right? I don't give a shit about versatility but 6505 brutal + fender cleans can only be win.

Friend of mine plays a VH4, another one a Herbert. We did a comparison once and my Triple Rectifier smoked them both

Diezel's are fizzy overpriced crap. I remember going to guitar center when I was like 14 and seeing a amp that cost 4000$ and I was like holy shit, that thing must be the best amp evar! Plugged in with a USA Jackson and was shock, probably the worst amplifier I've ever plugged into. Ill take a 6505 or any Mesa over that shit any day.

Yeah, uh... stop.

My experience though is hearing Scott from Cancer Bats across a number of shows, and he always played a VH4. His tone was godlike to say the least, but that dude can seriously play.

apples and oranges though

^ I beg to differ :D Guess the Herbert is worth a lot more than the Axe Fx, so if you don't like it you could still sell it and be better off.

This is wrong.

My Mesa Standard 4x12 says "Hey you, mthfkr! Put your mic in my face, i wanna show you a tube power!" :)
But seriously afx2 sounding good, very good, but IR be worse then miced tube head plug in to real cab. I have 6 years experience working with IR, and I know what I'm talking. Now it's time to throw out toys :)

Haha... sure. I'd rather go through the real process also. I'd probably be okay with just a proper tube power amp with my Axe-Fx though. :) I did just sell my last real amp a week ago though.

Personally for me the Herbert is one of the best amps out there, sound- and featurewise.
I don't think that there is any other brand out there that sounds close to what diezel does, so for me the price is fair.
But I'm in europe, so I dunno how much more it is overseas...can be that the price goes so much up it's not worth anymore, especially considering what a 5150/II/III and a Recto costs in the US.

And for studio use where you don't really need to have everything in one head it may be a bit of an overkill to go with the herbert...I guess that's the reason why you don't see one so often in studios.
So I'd guess, if it was for studio use only with no live session use, you'd be better of getting a 5150 (I'd go 5153) and a Recto for less the price of a Herbert.
Wouldn't contribute too much to a unique sound, especially with a Mesa OS, but you just know that it sounds too awesome to pass on that haha
And that even though I'm not too much a fan of the dual recto, at least with my experience so far. But I think I'd need way more time to learn how to dial them in, cause I like them in clips.

and inb4 diezel fanboi: I don't really like the VH4 or Hagen too much (really nice heads, just not what I like about the diezels), at least compared to the Herbert. Einstein is pretty awesome too imo

I'd also consider a Mark V btw. Also a real beast, easily as great as the Herbert, just sounds totally different.

I am much less experienced than others here but as I have played and/or owned most of the amps you mention I thought I'd chime in.

The Herbert is an awesome amp but definitely PRETTY different from a 5150 or Mesa. So I would say the most important thing is that you know what you want/need! What type of bands do you (intend to) record/produce? What tone are you going for?

I own a VH4, which I personally preferred to the Herbert, and it's got its signature sound which is just awesome. But you simply don't get that typical 5150 tone from it - and although the Herbert may be closer it's still different.

One thing you might really want to consider though is getting a 5150 as a "studio staple" and also get one of the more affordable Diezel heads if you are after the signature Diezel sound. The Einstein was already mentioned and the new the D-Moll is supposed to be more Herbert-influenced - maybe check that one out?

EDIT: One more thought - if you are in the US and if you want to get rid of the Axe, you might wanna do the trade as value-wise it sounds pretty decent. You can check out if the Herbert does what you need and if not you should be able to sell it again or trade it for something nice...

I sold my Diezel Herbert and bought a Axe-FX II, if that tells you anything.

The Herbert was my dream amp for several years but after I had it, I felt underwhelmed. It sounded great, don't get me wrong, but it didn't sound $2100 better than what I paid for my 5150 by any means (I got both used).

On pure values sake, its a better trade for you though. If you don't like it, you could sell or trade it and make a good bit on it.

LOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

If it makes anyone in this thread feel better that they are brainwashed fucks for thinking these amps are actually good because they probably cost more than the car they drive, I've only played the VH-4 not the Herbert. I saw one in a store 2 months ago and had absolutely no interest in playing it.

If it makes anyone in this thread feel better that they are brainwashed fucks for thinking these amps are actually good because they probably cost more than the car they drive, I've only played the VH-4 not the Herbert. I saw one in a store 2 months ago and had absolutely no interest in playing it.

fear leads to anger. anger leads to hate. hate leads to playing obscure grindcore

beware !

Can't believe anyone would say Diezel are loose... They are the tightest amps I have ever used (I'd include the Mark V though), much much better than any Rectifier in that regard. My personal preference in heavy tone goes to the 6505 but I still reckon this is a far inferior amp to the Diezels (it's a one and half trick poney while the Diezel has 4 totally different channels).
If you want to increase your guitar amp arsenal for your studio though, I think getting a 5150 and a Dual would be a very good choice anyway. Even if every other studio have these amps and they won't set you apart from the pack.
Also, the Herbert is the Diezel I like the least of their range, if you can try them and compare them then do it. I personally prefer the Einstein over the VH4 by a very tiny close margin and it's cheaper than a Dual Rectifier...