Peavey JSX opinions... to buy or not to buy?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Okay, so... I finally got a 5150 and I'm extremely happy with the 5150 + Recto cab combo. I think I'm going to be selling my Engl SE and VHT 2/50/2 poweramp soon and that will free up a lot of cash. I'd still like to have an alternative amp to the 5150 around, and I'm pretty interested in the JSX.

Here's my reasons why:

1. Like the 5150, it's pretty inexpensive. Can pick one up used for about the same price. The only other two amps I'm really interested in right now are the EVH 5150 III and maybe a Dual Recto of some sort... I can get a JSX for half the price of either of those used. The JSX gain character seems a little similar to the Recto anyways, only a bit brighter and with less lows...

2. It seems to sound pretty damn good paired up with the Recto cab. I really like some of the tones Andy's gotten out of the tubescreamer -> JSX -> Recto cab setup from what I've heard... Despised Icon and Chimaira... both sound awesome. Tight and bright (but not in a bad way!)

3. I've heard it has a nice clean channel, which the 5150 lacks... so, it'd be cool to have that option available (instead of Axe-FX or amp sims for cleans, like I do now...)

4. I know besides Andy, both Lasse and James Murphy also own the JSX... although I'm not sure if I've heard it used on anything specifically they've done. If either of you guys see this, I'd love to hear what you think.

What say you? Great inexpensive amp to own as an alternative to the 5150 for recording? I guess I'm just curious if any of you guys on here own them and overall how you'd rate them...

+1 for the cleans. From what ever samples i've heard they are amazing.

+1 for the price.You CAN get one very cheap.

I don't know how well can it blend with the 5150 in a mix(there are others here who can judge that better than me)

If i were you i'd do it:)

It´s an awesome amp... I would say: Go for it!

A buddy of mine owns on of these and it´s really the only 3 ch top I´ve ever played which was equally awesome on all three channels! Very versatile. The clean channel is by far the best one I´ve ever heard from a high gain head.

I have one. I changed the power tubes to JJ 6l6 (quad matched). Our other guitarist has a dual recto and they sound very similar since the tube change. Go for it! Personally i think they're better than the 5150, I like the active eq on the JSX and the cleans are great

I have one and I really do love the cleans, it was the main reason I was advised to get the amp and also why I ended up getting it. Not that I used cleans often, but at least I have the option of it!

Holy shit that sounds brilliant

Thnks man

BTW I must say that it blendes perfectly with 5150. It has less mids then the 5150 and has more balanced highs (not as sharp sounding as the 5150)

I've heard the Fender EVH 5150 on several recording at studio fredman and i cant say anything else then it is a great amp, but as you wrote much more expensive.

I would say if you already have a 5150 the JSX would be more of a replacement than an alternative. IME the JSX can sound more like a 5150 than a Recto, though is roughly somewhere in the middle of the two.
If you're looking for a Recto-esque tone, maybe a Triple XXX would get you closer.

I would say if you already have a 5150 the JSX would be more of a replacement than an alternative. IME the JSX can sound more like a 5150 than a Recto, though is roughly somewhere in the middle of the two.
If you're looking for a Recto-esque tone, maybe a Triple XXX would get you closer.

Well you are wrong my friend. The Triple X and JSX sounds almost the same. I can dial in almost the exact same tone with those 2 amps. The JSX has presence nobb that is great if you want to slave amps, but the difference is very small anyway.

As i said, the Triple X or the JSX compliments the 5150 great. That is my experience. I have recorded with 5150, EVH 5150, JSX, Triple X, Savage etc etc.. so this is based on experience

Cheers

+1

The XXX is peaveys attempt to steal some of the recto audience ;)

I think the lead channel on the JSX is the crunch channel on the XXX. The lead channel of the XXX is more extreme.

The crunch channel on the JSX is some kind of classic 50 hotrod, it's great but not for the most extreme metal, maybe a nickelback kind of tone.

I used to own one BTW ;)

+1

The XXX is peaveys attempt to steal some of the recto audience ;)

I think the lead channel on the JSX is the crunch channel on the XXX. The lead channel of the XXX is more extreme.

The crunch channel on the JSX is some kind of classic 50 hotrod, it's great but not for the most extreme metal, maybe a nickelback kind of tone.

I used to own one BTW ;)

Say what? The XXX and the JSX are almost identical circuit wise.

The 5150 and the recto are very similar circuit wise.

I don't understand what you mean.