Tried a JSX today

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Not really a huge review or anything, but...

I'm still drooling.

81 -> OD808 -> JSX -> Mesa 4x12 oversized.

I absolutely love my 5150, and I'm actually considering replacing it with the JSX.

It doesn't have quite the grind or edge, but it's much more responsive and warm, a real pleasure to play, and is much more versatile than the 5150. Great cleans, two great distortion channels... EL34 goodness.

Shiet - I'm torn. I've gotta sleep on this for a bit. :lol:

It's a good upgrade man. I also own a JSX and it rocks. It way more flexible then the 5150 and can get a mean of meaner. It actually sounds better on gain then the 5150 does.
It also has a great clean channel where the 5150 doesn't. Go for it man and don't look back.
Good luck with her.

Dan

Ok fine. I'll give you 2000 yen and an autographed picture of Lesley Nielson.

2000 yen won't even buy me a pack of Pokémon cards. :lol:

But seriously... thinking more about it.

My friend (who lives maybe a 3 minute drive from me, round trip) owns my old 5150, and he'd said be fine with me borrowing it for reamping. I've gotta start looking for someone to trade with! :lol:

I'm loving my JSX too. When I bought it I though the Ultra channel was too compressed and was a bit worried to try a clean boost, but doing so just takes the amp to a whole nother level! It's awsome! Though, i am thinking about dropping some 6L6's in for a change.

I'm loving my JSX too. When I bought it I though the Ultra channel was too compressed and was a bit worried to try a clean boost, but doing so just takes the amp to a whole nother level! It's awsome! Though, i am thinking about dropping some 6L6's in for a change.

When I get mine, I'm immediately going to layer 2 tracks of EL34 with 2 tracks of 6L6, as well as trying it with the previous 5150 tracks I have recorded. :headbang:

If that happens soon, I'd love to hear the diff between the EL34's and 6L6's if possible.

Will do - I'm guessing I'll do this in within a month, max.

I can tell you, between the two in an XXX and Recto, the differences are more subtle than you'd think.

From 6L6 to EL34, there's a reduction of lows which can be perceived as tighter lows. It seems to breakup easier and quicker, but it's a very pleasant, crunchy kind of breakup.

What is this XsR mod?

Flipping the logo upside down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

xsr2385b.jpg

LOL!!! Thats fucking sweet! However I thought it might be a big mod project to improve sound quality :p hehehe :)

PS: If you whacked down 6L6's in there wouldnt it basically be a XXX?

Kind of OT, but I've always wondered what the Mesa oversized cabinets are. I've never seen them for sale anywhere? What's the difference between a Mesa Standard and the oversized?

This is the Standard:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/mesa_boogie_rectifier_4x12_std_gitarrenbox.htm

They used to make the Rectifier Standard and Rectifier Traditional - the standard being the oversized one. It's just a bigger sized cabinet.

Now, they have the Rectifier Standard, and the Stiletto Standard, the latter being the old traditional cabinet.

But really, if anyone wants a 5150 w/Bias mod, footswitch, and probes/multimeter for testing bias, PM me.