Ibanez Thermion and Peavey JSX

SickBoy, I tried it in the store. Had it pretty damn loud too. It sounded really close to a Recto in a lot of ways. In other words, all the fundamentals of the Recto tone are there, and then of course since it's not actually a Recto, it had it's own little things here and there. It sounds like a typical metal amp, nothing to "brag" about, but if you want Recto sound at a $600 off (or more) price tag, the Thermion is a great steal.

It's true though, for the same price (nearly), the JSX is basically a XXX...which was little spin-off of the 5150...and it sounds fucking amazing. A 6505/+ would be probably the best bet, but if you already have a 5150, like myself, then you don't need another one, heh. I really like the JSX because of the EL34's, it's got a different taste of tone to it, but the basics of the 5150 that I really have always died for are there. The smooth distortion, signature 5150 type tone, but with a little twist on it. Those EL34's are really great for cutting through with just that little extra "oomph" you need, especially if you switch over to the Ultra channel to do some leads and you guys have a loud drummer/2nd guitarist/whatever. If you thought you could cut through with a 5150...wait until you try the JSX, :).

It also seems to have a bit more range on the EQ section compared to a 5150. That might be because it is active, but who knows. Just that little adjustment from 3 to 3.5 on any of the EQ knobs makes a very noticeable difference. I would have to go from 3 to 5 on my 5150 to notice it as much as I do on the JSX. I like the sturdiness of this amp as well, even though I know my 5150 is a fucking tank, the JSX feels more like a tank. With the metal dome knobs instead of the plastic chicken head ones, and it being a bit heavier in weight compared to the 5150 head, it just makes you feel assured in a way. Don't get me wrong, I know it would take a head on hit from a speeding freight train to take out my 5150, but the JSX just has that extra "oomph" in this category as well.

In the end, I feel as though the JSX really is everything the 5150 is, with a few extra things here and there and a lot of nice touches. At the same price...I really don't see why someone shouldn't just get the JSX instead. Who cares who's name is on it? If it sounds good, then fuck it man. I've heard so many people gripe "I hate signature equipment", but when this head is just as good as the 5150 but has all the bells and whistles, I'll be glad to have my JSX when my friend is gleaming at me with jealousy, he can have his generic Marshall JCM that everyone and their dog uses.

~006

The cool thing about the XXX and the JSX is that the power amp tubes are swapable. The XXX comes with 6L6's and The JSX with EL34's. But both amps have the ability to run both. There's a little toggle inside the head that allows you to switch back and forth depending on the type of tube you're using. I put EL34's in my XXX and I bet it sounded just like the JSX. I have switched back to the 6L6's just because they aren't as mid sensitive as the 34's(sounded too Marshall for my liking.)

Yeah I know...I'm just saying I know people that won't use the 5150 just because it says "Eddie Van Halen" or "EVH" on the metal plate. I mean...come the fuck on already. They'll sit there and tell me they love the guitar tone on some album soooooo much, and I'm like "yeah double-tracked 5150, killer tone" and they still say "oh well that's VH's amp, I'm not buying that"....pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

~006

006 said:
It sounds like a typical metal amp, nothing to "brag" about, but if you want Recto sound at a $600 off (or more) price tag, the Thermion is a great steal.

I guess we'll have to wait for someone to get it and do a thorough sit-in-the-mix test... :D I guess it already has something to brag about - the first actually usable Ibanez amp ;)
I'm really interested in its behavior in recording situations.

Buying a 5150/JSX/Legacy/XXX/Krankenstein because you are the biggest EVH/Satch/Vai/Lynch/Dime fanboi in the world is close to lame. Buying one because you admire the tone that comes from that artist and you wish to have a similar tone is ok, IMO.

I had a friend who owned the same exact rig as Zakk Wylde, down to the home-made pedalboard. Did he buy it because he really, really admired Zakks tone? No. He bought it because he was the biggest Zakk Wylde Stooge I've ever met. $3500 for the ZW Les Paul...close to the same, if not more, for the signature Marshall head and cab....everything. Even had a big ass metal chain for the strap on the Les Paul, which you can imagine made it worth about nothing afterwards. I always asked him "so....when you gonna dial that up to sound like Zakk and learn how to play like Zakk?" and he'd be all like "oh...well...I'll never be that good". I never could quite get it.

Sure, I own a Triaxis/2:90 and I was originally interested in it on the premise that Petrucci used that setup...but so did Metallica and Nevermore and many others. I liked that amp because of the sounds that came out of it, not because I thought I was going to sound *exactly* like the artist who endorsed/signatured that rig.

lol... I remember why I bought my first explorer! I wanted to be like hetfield. I didn't even try the damn thing before I bought it. good thing it was such a great guitar!

Executioner213 said:
Buying a 5150/JSX/Legacy/XXX/Krankenstein because you are the biggest EVH/Satch/Vai/Lynch/Dime fanboi in the world is close to lame. Buying one because you admire the tone that comes from that artist and you wish to have a similar tone is ok, IMO.
George Lynch uses a XXX? I did not know that! Now I need to get one and a left handed tiger ESP! AND lift some weights! Where's the mirror!?

I picked up a Dimarzio EVO neck pickup for my new Ibanez the other day. I figured, hey, If it's good enough for Steve Vai, it's good enough for me! Turned out to be a real nice pickup! I'm totally gonna play like Vai now!:heh: A shitload of Lydian runs, while making goofy faces at the girls in the crowd! Thanx for the pickup, Steve!:p

Actually George Lynch now uses the Genz-Benz Diablo head. The XXX was under the premise of being Lynch's signature amp...not sure what happened down the line, but they still released the amp, Lynch's sig or not.

Executioner213 said:

I'm not quite sure where the hell you read on this thread that me, or anyone else, wanted the tone of Satch...or sorry, rather where your comment came from just in general. :lol:. I actually don't like Satch's tone. Never have. I like the amp that has his name on it, and I think he's a nice guitar player. But I would want the JSX to get tones for myself. I've never tried to emulate somebody's tone, well, I take that back, I have tried to copy a band's tone...Meshuggah's...but that was it. Anyway, still really confused as to where your comment came from, but whateva.

~006