The 'Which Guitar Gear on Which Album?' Compendium

For the In Flames - Soundtrack to your Escape album, how would they use the Big Muff as a boost? Whenever I try it, it thickens it up, but it sounds too "fuzzy".

Really? Sneap used Livewires and 707s? I always thought he hated 707s and Seymour Duncan livewires, I figured he made Jeff Loomis use the 81-7 and Dave use EMGs.

Yeah, I knew that's what was in their signature guitars, but artists don't always use their signature equipment on the record. I've always found livewires to be kinda weak, and I've heard bad things about 707s from my seven string buddies.

Nothing about Fredrik Nordstrom?? I dig his way of recording guitars.
I know he's a fanboy of Engl Savage and double micing, sm57 (Marshall/Engl cab???) but no details about boost. I never saw a TS on photos/vids...
I think he uses 5150 pretty often (maybe to blend with Engl), right?

Trivium - In Waves (All for rhythm guitars)

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Custom

Pickups: EMG 81

Boost: Maxon OD808

Amp: Peavey 5150 Blockletter

Cab: Mesa Recto & Mesa Oversized

Mics: SM57 & MD421

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

Guitars: ESP

Pickups: EMG 81

Boost: n/a

Amp: ENGL Special Edition & ENGL Savage 120

Cab: ENGL & Marshall

Mics: SM57 Straight to the grill; SM57 45 degree angle

I'll fill in my band's setup for interested parties!

Benevolent - Divided EP
Guitars: Schecter C-7 Diamond Series, Ibanez AJD Artcore 6 string, Ibanez RG 7 String
Bass: Yamaha RBX 4 string
Amps/Cabs: Line6 POD Farm, and Avid Eleven Plugin
Pedals: POD X3 Live (For wah models)

Hadi

In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading, info directly from Roberto Laghi!

Rhythm guitars were a mix of EVH 5153 and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier into Mesa cabs.
Leads were a Marshall JMP 2203, he didn't mention what cab, but I believe it's same as the rhythm guitars!

He said nothing about any boosts, but that doesn't exclude the possibility.

Exodus - Exhibit B: The Human Condition

Amp: ENGL Savage 120
Guitars: Some Schecter Hellraiser V-FR with passive PUs (looks like SD Custom(bridge) and SD JB(neck))
ESP Eclipse II QM STBC fors Lee's solos

Unfortunately no cabs or mics known but due to gary's and andy's preferences an educated guess would be SM57 and some sort of V30 4x12.

documents:

Last edited by a moderator:
After years of ambiguity surrounding this one, I've finally found info right from the horse's mouth about the tone on this album

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caL4E0Ix38U&ob=av2e[/ame]

I found a forum post from like 2005, including one from Mark Hunter himself on the old old old Chimaira forum.

It's just 2 tracks of guitar, one left one right, Matt was going into his 5150II and Rob into his 5150, both into Mesa OS, no boosts.

Settings were: pre-10, low-5-6, mid-2, high-9, post-3, res-10, pres-7-8 for the 5150II, and for the 5150 apparently everything on 10 :lol:

After years of ambiguity surrounding this one, I've finally found info right from the horse's mouth about the tone on this album

I found a forum post from like 2005, including one from Mark Hunter himself on the old old old Chimaira forum.

It's just 2 tracks of guitar, one left one right, Matt was going into his 5150II and Rob into his 5150, both into Mesa OS, no boosts.

Settings were: pre-10, low-5-6, mid-2, high-9, post-3, res-10, pres-7-8 for the 5150II, and for the 5150 apparently everything on 10 :lol:

Wouldn't Andy have reamped this??

Nice Thread! Thx!
But one Question: Does anybody know, which Cab + Amp combination Jason and Eyal used on Job for Cowboy's Demonocracy?The tone is soo tight! I think it could have been a Mesa Rectifier with a Rectifier 4x12 and a Maxon OD 808 captured with a c414 or a sm57 or both. But you never know for sure...The tone is so tight it could have been a 2x12 or so. The bass-response seems to be ridiculous tight so i thought, maybe it's a c414! Did i mention the tightness? Sooo sick!
Cheers

Nice Thread! Thx!
But one Question: Does anybody know, which Cab + Amp combination Jason and Eyal used on Job for Cowboy's Demonocracy?The tone is soo tight! I think it could have been a Mesa Rectifier with a Rectifier 4x12 and a Maxon OD 808 captured with a c414 or a sm57 or both. But you never know for sure...The tone is so tight it could have been a 2x12 or so. The bass-response seems to be ridiculous tight so i thought, maybe it's a c414! Did i mention the tightness? Sooo sick!
Cheers

Tony wasn't sure (he posts here/is a good bud) what they used aside from a Marshall on leads. He was pretty positive that it ended up being a KPA. Knowing Jason it was probably Recto 4x12, Odelya custom OD pedal, 57 + 201 into Chandler or Neve pres, and something like a 5150, 5150III (what they use live), or Überschall. Passive DiMarzios and a wicked right hand help a lot, too.