The Ultimate v30 Cab Shootout 2010

Pick Your Fav

• Total voters

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
...is here.
The mic position was as similar as I could get it...mic'd with a single sm57, no post processing.
Amp was a 6505 on the green channel.

here are the files as 24/44.1 Wavs in a zip folder

and here the mp3 for you lazy fucks:

Mesa Rectifier 4x12
Mesa Stiletto 4x12
Marshall 1960DM 4x12
Marshall 1960AV 4x12
Bogner Übercab 4x12

obviously a shootout like this can't be 100% scientific, cause a tiny mic movement can make a difference, also would I probably adjust the amp in a real recording situation to fit the used cab (like more presence for the Recto cab, less for the DM etc), but to keep it somewhat neutral I've used the same settings for all these clips

EDIT: you can vote multiple times

Kinda hard to say really. I think they'd all have their place in the right song and right mix. I actually like the Stiletto and the DM best on first listen. I guess I just like tones that other people think are "stuffy"

great comparison! thanks a lot!

hard to decide which one sounds "better". I like all these cabs!

but with this tuning and style of riffing, I like the 1960AV most.

I think my fav is still the Recto Cab...but I would use more presence for that one usually, makes it come to live. (I had it on 8 for this clip, usually with that cab I'm having pres on 9 or close to 9)
I'm also loving that AV...really open sounding, it kinda breathes.

What high/pres do you usually use on the DM to compensate the generally brighter cab?

on the DM I usually try to get the low mids up, an sm57 is not the perfect mic for that, unless you blend it with an m160...then it's awesome...
I think the m160 is the mic for that cab anyways.
the AT is also cool.

Recto cab of course wins, but I actually quite like the 1960AV as well, and am surprised at how much fizzier the 1960DM cab is in comparison; surely that's just due to the differences in the V30s, and not cab construction? (are there really any differences between them, besides grille and "tolex"?) Ubercab has too much fizz (though it's a higher frequency fizz than the 1960DM, so I don't mind it as much), and the Stiletto is way too furry/stuffy for me

Recto cab!!!! the über is also great. The Stiletto is close the the recto but doesnt have that perfect fitting sound....

I bought a recto straight 2 weeks ago, happy it won your shootout for me :)

Do you noticed the same fizz with Marshall DM and the AV?

With my AV I realy struggle with some annoying fizz with an 6505....

major recto cab GAS over here.....although the marshall kept up surprisingly well for that style of riffing, i think the recto will do most styles really really well.

TBH I liked them all in one way or another except the über cab. that had a horrible 2 kish spike that made jesus cry.
Really surprised by how nice the 1960av is!
Wasnt MASSIVELY keen on the recto cab (shock horroR) Found that a bit muddy
my votes for the 1960 av and stiletto cab.