71 Marshall vs Mesa Recto - Cab Shootout!

Which Cab / Mic Combo Do You Like Best

• A

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • C

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So here it is ladies and gentelmen the Vintage Marshall vs Modern Mesa Shootout!

Cabs:
1970 / 71 Transition Year Marshall 4x12 loaded with v30's front mounted

1998 Mesa Recto 4x12 locaded with v30's rear mounted

Process:
Each cabinet was mic'd with the exact same microphone setup. Single 57 or single Audix i5 (I also did a e609 but it sounded like dog shit so I left it out). Each mic was placed dead center on the cone to eliminate as many "mic position" factors as possible.

Amp: Peavey 5150 with only 2 6L6 power tubes (center sockets)

Amp Settings: Typical "Sneap Settings"
Pre: 4
Bass: 7
Mid: 2
High: 7
Reso: 9
Pres: 7

Boost:Ibanez Tube Screamer
Gain: 9:00
Tone: 12:00
Level: 12:00

Please place your vote and tell me WHY you liked each particular one. There is no post processing at all on any of the clips!

Audix i5
A - Marshall

C - Mesa

Sure SM57
B - Mesa

D - Marshall

I liked C the most, because it seemed to have the most growl, without sounding too bassy or losing clarity. I'm certainly no expert, though.

For me its definitely B ... now before you say NO FAIR YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!

No I dont. I had my GF rename them and put the key in a Text File on her PC :)

B for me just has this PUNCH that the others don't and there's a top end grit that's missing from the others. ... I am very curious to find out which one I picked :)

I liked b. Sounded the thicker and more full. Whats up with only running 2 power tubes?
Lets the power tubes work a little hotter and it give the tone a nice sheen imho, the 5150 is biased very cold so the power tubes don't work very hard in the amp. By running 2 tubes it allows a bit more "tone" to come out of the power section. Just personal preference.

For me its definitely B ... now before you say NO FAIR YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!

No I dont. I had my GF rename them and put the key in a Text File on her PC :)

B for me just has this PUNCH that the others don't and there's a top end grit that's missing from the others. ... I am very curious to find out which one I picked :)

Lets the power tubes work a little hotter and it give the tone a nice sheen imho, the 5150 is biased very cold so the power tubes don't work very hard in the amp. By running 2 tubes it allows a bit more "tone" to come out of the power section. Just personal preference.

Ok, so its basically like a half power switch. Should I change my impedance setting after doing this? No need to fool with the bias?

I honestly think if you turned D up more in the mix, it would have been the best sounding one. It leaves more space for the rest of the instruments, and it cuts nicely without as much junk.

Did not listen to i5 clips cause I hate this mic. But in case with 57 I am realy shure that B is marshall. D is Mesa. And Yes Marshall sounds better to my ears, A little EQ on the high freq's and it will kill everything. Fuck, I miss my Marshall cab more and more....

I'm betting that A and D are Mesa and B & C Marshall. We're recording guitars with a 6505+ & Marshall cab filled with V30s and there's this similar tone I hear.
Never had the pleasure of recording a Mesa cab, though. That said, I liked D first, then A in this context. Nice chunk and.. er.. clang.
B & C have mids going on that draw attention to them, whereas A & D just fill the mix nicely. B & C remind me of some old-school metal for some reason..?

Great tones anyways, would be great to mix any of these!

D for me, B has some annoying fizz/spikes going on.
but if you'd kill those it also would slay, and wouldnt be anymore about better or worse but just about taste :)
d sounds like mesa, b like marshall to me

I picked D. It's a bit honky at times, but it was the only clip that I thought sounded okay on every type of riff in that song. Some of the thicker clips kind of lost track of the notes on the lower mutey riffs and chords and only sounded good on the thinner strings / single notes.

AND THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!!

See OP for the reveal as to what was what!

Greg it really surprises me what you prefer the Marshall to the Mesa, actually all the love dor D and the Marshall in general it fairly shocking, and of course the ears of Greg dont lie, the 2nd D clip is pretty fucking epic.