Blind amp shootout (Marshall, Peavey, Mesa, Bugera)

Which sound you like the best?

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • They all sound like ass :(

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Okay, tried out all my amps (Marshall Mode Four, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey Windsor, Bugera 333), dialed in similar sounding settings (clockface settings: gain 3-5, treble 2-5, mids 9-10, bass 12-2, resonance 3-5, presence 3-5; maybe "too bright" to some), played like shit and used same guitarchain (ec1000 - ns2 - ts9 - AMP - cabinet - sm57) and settings on the other stuff. Now I want you to tell me which one you like best and which one you think is which:

There might be some slight changes in the volume of the clips, but try to ignore that and focus on the character.

I'll tell the results when the poll closes.

edit: the poll is closed now, so as promised, the correct amps are...

1 Peavey Windsor (boost on)
2 Mesa Dual Rectifier, red (modern)
3 Bugera 333, orange (crunch)
4 Marshall Mode Four, od2 (amp2)
5 Bugera 333, red (lead)
6 Mesa Dual Rectifier, orange (vintage)
7 Marshall Mode Four, cruch (amp1)

So Windsor and the Mode Four got most votes here followed by Dual Recto and Bugera :)

I'm sorry but they all sound not that good too me. Very harsh high end on all the clips. 1 would be the best if I'd had to pick one, I'm guessing that's the recto because of the dominant low mids.

+1

I felt about the same about all the clips. I'd say try micing a different speaker or position the 57 differently to get rid of some of that harsh high end. Might even have to redial the amp accordingly. That said in the mix it might actually work but as raw clips they aren't doing it for me.

Agree with the above comments. Better off reamping something with all the amps so we can judge in context. Also, you need to some treatment on that guitar to stop the extra string noises during stops.

I did vote but... I can't see the point in dialing in similar settings. It's like asking whether some 4 books are equally exciting on the first page, then on the 20th, and on 66th. IMHO, you should get the best sound for you of all the amp - only then can you decide which is a keeper or whatever.

nº1 and nº2 are the best sounding. Nº1 es Peavey Windsor, Nº2 is Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Number 7 sounds the best to me. My guess is it's the 333 or Recto.

They are all kinda fizzy in the high end, which not a lot of people here like. I personally feel it works for a lot of music,and most of my clips sound the same way, but to each their own.

voted for 7, sounded most mic'ed cab alike. The rest sounds like a preamp direct into the interface without any speakerstuff

n3 (peavy) got some really nice character, but sounds too scooped and fizzy or smthng.

tarp-30198.jpg

They are all MetalZone.