Cab/speaker comparison: Mesa OS w/ v30/75s, Marshall 1960a

photo-3.jpg

Here is the part where I ask you what you payed for it (spent $450 for mine). Yours looks slightly more used, but not by much.

o.o That new cab is definitely much more pleasing to the ears IMO. It's kinda in between the old Marshall and the Mesa.

It's the keeper.

I'll do more proper reamp cab tests in the future with the other 1960a my guitarist has. In the room with this setup 1960b > recto

With this setup :lol:

I've been saying that straight front cabs sound better... congrats on the NCD, sounds great!

But the internal volume can't be that much different :guh:

It's not so much the volume difference. The shape of the front of the cab affects how the cab disperses, which causes a difference in what frequencies become standing waves, which in turn cancel different frequencies in the output waves. Basically it's like starting with one sound, and then cutting and boosting different frequencies. That's basically why cabs sound different even with the same speakers across the board. Plus straight front cabs are more directional, which is great for close mic recording because it limits the amount of sideways interference you have to account for (though not completely).

Angled cabs sound a little different but not that much.....sometimes speakers mounted on a same cab sound much more different than a angled/straight.
People recorded Mesa OS for years when they were only angled and the sound was awesome

It's not so much the volume difference. The shape of the front of the cab affects how the cab disperses, which causes a difference in what frequencies become standing waves, which in turn cancel different frequencies in the output waves. Basically it's like starting with one sound, and then cutting and boosting different frequencies. That's basically why cabs sound different even with the same speakers across the board. Plus straight front cabs are more directional, which is great for close mic recording because it limits the amount of sideways interference you have to account for (though not completely).

Didn't even think about this. Great insight, thanks