Switching out the speakers on my Marshall Cab - before & after clips (G12 to V30)

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Been meaning to switch out one of the g12-75's for a v30 in my Marshall 2x12 for some time so I finally did it last night. Turned out to be a bit of a soldering mare, not the lovely quick connect stuff on the newer ones. I know it's been done time and time again on here, but hey, the more clips the better :D

So just got back from work and thought i'd chuck a mic in front of it to see how it turned out, and it seems to be pretty nice.

Here are some stock settings on the 5150 going into each speaker, sorry about the crap riff. We're talking 5150 on post gain 1 here too, so no ball crunching tone today. :cry:

This is what left and right speakers sounded like before I did the job. I elected to take out the right speaker, as it appears to sound like shit (which i'm sure you'll agree on!).

Left Speaker G12

Old Right Speaker G12

And now here is how it sounds since the change (with the same left speaker):

Left Speaker G12

Right Speaker V30

I'm actually wondering whether it's worth replacing the left G12 with a fresh one now to complement it... ?

I like the smoothness of the old marshall speaker so it will get used for rock stuff. V30 for the more metally stuff I think.

you'll hate me for saying this... but from, these clips im prefering the sound of the left g12!!
but you probably need more of a play with positioning the mic etc.

Yep defo mate. I swang a mic pretty much bang in front of the speaker cone for each clip with little to no adjustment- im knackered :lol:. I prefer the g12 too, but I always have been a fan unlike 75% of the forum here. I can see the v30 being handy though!

Do you reckon that old right speaker sounds broken, worn out, or just different?

Thought the G12s sounded better myself.

The v30 speaker sounded too "scratchy", IMO. The G12, by contrast, had a much smoother distorted tone.

I guess it depends on what style of music you're looking to play though.

I thought the old right speaker sounded the best, personally. Although I'm wondering what that and one of the V30's sounds like together... Could be tasty.

Give the Vintage 30 time to break in (if it's new) and it will sound better no doubt. I prefer the graininess and cut of the V30, as I think it would be more suited to faster, heavier playing in a metal context, just like how the smoothness of the T75 may work in rock contexts.