Cab speaker choice - V30 or G12-H?

SickBoy

Croatian Panzer division
Apr 9, 2004
Split, Croatia, Europe
www.myspace.com
The thing is I have a 4x12 JCM800 cab loaded with G12-65 Celestions circa 1984. I'm not sure, but I think it says "bass" on the back panel, although it seems like a regular Marshall guitar amp cab.

I'm not most satisfied with the way cab sounds so I thought about replacing the G12-65's with 4 new Celestions, I'm just not sure which model to take, V30 or G12-H. I'm sure most of you are familiar with V30 and here are Celestion G12-H details. I suppose that would be the easiest way to improve a cab's sound...

This is what sparked my interest in 'H' in the first place:
Celestion Website said:
Loud and proud thanks to its heavy magnet structure, the G12H provides a fusion of the Vintage 30 and the Greenback characteristics, producing a thick, warm and syrupy sound while still retaining a tight and focused bottom end.

I know most people here are into heavy as fukk Mesa or 5150 tones ;) , but I find that GBack and V30 combination as very interesting, since I'm into heavy metal mostly and would appreciate a blend of modern and old.

What are your thoughts on these two models?
Thanks people! :wave:

Hey man, if I was you I would try mixing V30s and 75s in an X pattern. It's the speaker combo found in the Bogner Uberkab and I've heard from many that it's a very good combo. Sorry I don't have first hand experience, just thought I would mention it in case you have some spare speakers around.

-Joe

J.DavisNJ said:
just thought I would mention it in case you have some spare speakers around.

Wish I had... :cool:
I thought about mixing different speakers myself, but that would just add to the confusion, I'm afraid... :D
Maybe a combination of V30's and H's would be the key, eh? :err:

@Burny: yeah, that fat midrange is what I like with H's, I've previously owned a '76 cab with them inside.

The tone I'm aiming for is something similar to Mercyful Fate's "Into The Unknown" album guitar sound.
Does anyone have any info on these 65's I currently have, other than tech specs? Was it used by anyone tone-relevant?