Gutting out a 5150 cab for celestions....

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
Ok.....I'm recording in a week or so, and still can't find a good straight cab around here to record with (v30 and/or g12-75) at a cheap price.

But, i got a friend that has a 5150 Straight Cab he's selling for $150.

And maybe I could get a set of Celestion speakers off ebay for $200-300, and install them in that cab ?

That would save me an easy $400-600 dollars!!!:OMG:

....But do yall think that cab is a good enough cab to put celestions in ?

....and what combination of speakers would be recommended ? All v30's or v30's & G12-75 X pattern ?

I like that cab stock. I haven't done any recording so I can't comment on that aspect. I like the Triple XXX through them.

I got one little problem.... v30's are now made in china.

Are they not as good as the old ones that are made in England ?

is so, should I get the eminence Governors ?

or what about the new Celestion Century Vintage speakers ?
it's a Vintage 30 but only 10 dollars more and 1/3 the weight!

go for vintage 30's. I had a long discussion with celestion about the "china" issue. They actually have brand new equipment and have sent their guys over there to train the chinese manufacturers. I was perfectly happy with the chinese ones they sent.

ok.....so v30's are still ok. Good deal !

But anyone tried the New Celestion Century Vintage ??

they have a better rating on Harmony-Central than the regular V30's......but I know that can mean nothing.

ApolloSpeed said:
.....Wait.....

What if I did 2 v30's and leave the 2 stock 5150 sheffields in an X pattern ?????

I'm in a similar situation; I've had a Peavey cab stocked with Sheffield 1200's for a few years, and today I found a 5150 used at a price I couldn't resist, and should probably put some better speakers in this thing. I'd rather not buy four V30's right now, and the X-Pattern sounds like a good idea... what's the consensus on this? Also, since I'll only be recording for the forseeable future, could I even just replace one, or is there some sort of electrical reason why that would be a horrible, horrible idea?

Nope; as long as you get the Ohm's matched up, and wire them all in phase, you're good to go! It's not uncommon for people to buy a 5150 combo and replace one of the speakers with a V30 for recording.

DSS3 said:
It's not uncommon for people to buy a 5150 combo and replace one of the speakers with a V30 for recording.

That's what I did, and I love the hell out of it. As I type this, I'm about to install a second V30 right now (since I disconnected the Sheffield once I heard how good the V30 sounded).

A while ago I replaced 2 of the speakers in my 5150 cab with v-30s. I installed them in X pattern with the originals. The cab sounds waaaay better now, and it's also much easier to record now. I could never get a good sound from the original speakers with a sm57...

nuclearass said:
A while ago I replaced 2 of the speakers in my 5150 cab with v-30s. I installed them in X pattern with the originals. The cab sounds waaaay better now, and it's also much easier to record now. I could never get a good sound from the original speakers with a sm57...

that's great....cause I just ordered the v30's and I will do exactly what you did!

So, good luck to me.