About getting a studio-only guitar cab .....while being broke!

Carrier Flux said:
speaking of breaking in speakers. I've been considering setting up my rig in a reamping situation so I can loop various guitar riffs through my power amp for a couple hours at a time while I go to a movie or something. think this is a good way to break in a speaker? I can't play all day because my hands are fucked up so I'm looking for a workaround to break in my newer speakers.

That's a fine way to break in speakers - what I do is actually run my iPod through the poweramp of my 5150, and run that on a clean channel at medium volumes for a while - works like a charm! You don't need to crank it to break them in, just get some steady signal through 'em, you know?

JBroll said:
I've been thinking about building a cab myself, what kind of resources did you guys use to help you out? And what does porting mean?

Jeff
porting means putting a hole in the cabinet to alter the airflow. it mostly affects low frequencies.

I just build rectangle cabs of arbitrary volume. and stuff them with foam. nothing too fancy. I just cut the wood, use woodglue and screws to assemble it, cut the baffle with a jigsaw, and cover the thing with marine vinyl. wire it up and good to go.

parts express has all the wiring hardware you'll need. jacks etc...

just be careful with wiring, research it so you're not sending an 8ohm output from your amplifier into a 4ohm wired cabinet etc....lest you blow your output transformer.

sorry I can't recommend any sites...I just fuck around with sizes etc...

DSS3 said:
That's a fine way to break in speakers - what I do is actually run my iPod through the poweramp of my 5150, and run that on a clean channel at medium volumes for a while - works like a charm! You don't need to crank it to break them in, just get some steady signal through 'em, you know?
cool thanks for the idea! so it doesn't even need to be a guitar? just run whatever program material through the amp?

Carrier Flux said:
cool thanks for the idea! so it doesn't even need to be a guitar? just run whatever program material through the amp?

How would you break in a home stereo system, car stereo system, or new monitors? ;).

Any music will work, I'd suggest something with some nice brick wall action going on, though, so you're getting all frequencies sent to the speakers.

I know a few people on here use Thomann.de to buy their gear - so I'm guessing you've seen the Harley Benton stuff right? They have a 4x12 cabs with V30's for stupid money - under £250. It's actually cheaper to buy the cab than just the 4 drivers (from Thomann that is, their V30 price is quite high).

Has anyone had any experience with them? My guess is that they wouldn't hold up to much punishment from playing gigs etc., but that seems to me a pretty good price for a new cab, whatever the cones are.

Steve

I know most of you guys are probably alergic to crate (as most are they suck for the most part) but I have a cab made by them and it came stock with v30's. Solid construction metal handles and it doesn't break the bank. Plus thier built like fucking bricks, I got into a car accident (flipping twice) and the thing still sounds great.

I can't figure out why people hate Crate with the sounds I get from my XT120 - and they are built like tanks made of tanks made of brick shithouses. I think it's the entry level stuff that throws a lot of people off - but very little 'entry-level' stuff sounds halfway decent, and the stuff thrown out by names like Peavey and Marshall for the lower end of the market is shit too, so that's not a good area to judge anything on.

Anyone have details on their Celestion speakers? Mine are very smooth and I'd like to know what other Celestions they compare to.

Jeff

JBroll said:
I can't figure out why people hate Crate with the sounds I get from my XT120

I have a bottom 4x12 Crate Blue Voodoo cab, it sounded really good live!

but, then I got a cheap ($150 dollar) 5150 bottom 4x12 cab and put two v30's in it (Xpattern with stock speakers)....and put a little foam in it.....and it way kicked ass!

only thing is that it has shitty wheels.....then I replaced with walmart cheapies wheels and now it is even worst! LOL!!

Simple solution - go back to Wal Mart, get a couple of hamster wheels and make a chassis for it powered by mice. Petsmart or any run-down looking warehouse should suit well.

Alternatively, you could just 'borrow' some small children found at Wal Mart and strap the amp onto a couple of them and have them carry it around. Give them back every week or so and get a new set, half the time nobody will even notice. Adoption may also present a new set of solutions, might want to give that a try.

Jeff

well...I got a chance to buy a 1993 Marshall 1960 bottom cab with 2 new vintage 30s ($110 a piece new) and 2 new Celestion Century G12 ($200 a piece new)....for under $500.
Think I should got for that?:saint: