Cab question for a complete tone. Current is JCM800 G12-T75s.. V30s?

GreyWolf

Fenrisulfr
May 2, 2009
Kentucky
Currently my rig is my Mesa Dual Rec 3ch into my older jcm 800 1983 lead cab.. the speakers in it are G12-75Ts.

These speakers sound really great.. never had a complaint.. they are a bit scoopy though.. and the speaker itself with this setup sounded REALLY good with my old stock hotgrinder pickups in my s5470tks.

I switched over to a 9v setup for my EMG 81/SA/85 combo in the guitar and the sound is a bit TOO scoopy for me at the moment.

I'm scared.. but I'm thinking I may have to move to v30s like the mesa oversized cab.

I know it's the standard in aggressive metal as of right now.. but I can't really just go out and afford one of those at the moment.

I was also weighing out my options as to the idea of.. Could I just pop v30 speakers in this cabinet that I have? or mix them?

2 v30s a la X formation.. 1 on the top left.. 1 bottom right and leave the others G12-75ts?

I'm just trying to obtain a really good mid rangey punch for a lot of my music because of my need/want to mix in really with a low tuning on a 6 string.

I love the tone of some of the more upscale epic/thrash bands like 3 Inches of blood who are getting a really crisp and good mix.. Of course they are in standard.. and using marshalls on some of their stuff..

I'm wanting to mix really well within a band mix and be heard as it is!

Any opinions?

Well I got my Recto cab for $480 on craigslist, and they go for ~$500 all the time, so you could probably get between $250-$350 for your Marshall to fund it! So that'd be my first choice without a doubt, but the X-pattern V30 idea would still rule as well; just make sure to get 16 ohm speakers to match the 75's!

The cab itself is a bit beat.. if I could get about 300 for it.. I would be happy and I could deal with the other 200 to get a cab like a mesa.

I was just hoping maybe the woodstyle of the marshall cab itself with some new v30s in an x formation or even fully loaded with v30s would be just as good tonewise?

Trying to stay away from BASS heaven as everyone has warned about some mesa cabs

Psshh, just a bunch of n00bs spoutin' they n00bness, pay them no mind :heh: Check out the clips in my speaker shootout, I don't think they're bass heaven at all (and there's no post-eq on there except for rolling off below ~80 Hz and above ~10k); just keep the bass knob at like 10:30 and use a Tube Screamer of some sort and you'll be fine! And the Marshall would sound good, but IMO not as good, cuz V30s I'm finding sound kinda dense and stuffy in a standard sized cab and need an oversized one to spread out the tone more evenly (at least that's been my experience with my Stiletto cab, and clips I've heard here of other people's standard-sized cabs with V30s, but still, some of them have sounded pretty damn good all the same!)

Also, check out clips by Mark (MetalJonesy), he uses a Marshall 1960 with 2 V30s in it and gets some great sounds with his little Krank Rev Jr. through it! (e.g. this one)

Hrm not too bad. I like the sound of where you were heading with yours a bit more.. I'm not digging the scoop sound too much.. especially since I'll be grabbing a PRS custom 24 down the road this year.. which ='s scoopy haha.

I love the punch he gets from his tone for some reason.

at 2:30 is the best way to distinguish it.. not really all my cup of tea on the music front.. but I like the tone

also just like. . the galloping crunch is awesome awesome at the beginning of this song.

All I could find is live haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Mark's is pretty scooped, though really that's just how he had the amp tweaked (I don't think anyone would accuse a Marshall w/ V30s of being more scooped than a Recto cab! :D) And WOW is that "The Secret" guitar tone raw; I dig it, but "punch" isn't the first word that comes to mind; as for the 3 Inches of Blood tone, from what I can tell it seems to be pretty upper-mid focused; honestly, I don't think any cab is gonna get a Rectifier sounding like either of 'em (with it's low-mid bark rather than high-mid crunch), and since you're planning on putting V30s in your Marshall, I think the best way to determine would be to check out this comparison I did between my old Mesa Stiletto cab (their standard-sized offering with V30s) and my Recto cab (and I've since drastically altered my amp settings, so apologies for the tones! :erk: ). To me the Stiletto sounds similar (same speakers after all) but "stuffier", whereas the Recto sounds clearer and less dense!

If it were me, I would stay away from a fully loaded V30 Marshall cab with a JCM800. I had a Lee Jackson modded JCM 800 and it sounded extremely shrill and high pitched with my 1960 V30 slant cab. It sounded a lot better with my standard 1960A with T75s and even better with my friend's Marshall cab with greenbacks. The X pattern may be nice though. That's what I currently utilize in my Marshall cab and I have no complaints, but then again I do all my recording direct now.

Yeah, Mark's is pretty scooped, though really that's just how he had the amp tweaked (I don't think anyone would accuse a Marshall w/ V30s of being more scooped than a Recto cab! :D) And WOW is that "The Secret" guitar tone raw; I dig it, but "punch" isn't the first word that comes to mind; as for the 3 Inches of Blood tone, from what I can tell it seems to be pretty upper-mid focused; honestly, I don't think any cab is gonna get a Rectifier sounding like either of 'em (with it's low-mid bark rather than high-mid crunch), and since you're planning on putting V30s in your Marshall, I think the best way to determine would be to check out this comparison I did between my old Mesa Stiletto cab (their standard-sized offering with V30s) and my Recto cab (and I've since drastically altered my amp settings, so apologies for the tones! :erk: ). To me the Stiletto sounds similar (same speakers after all) but "stuffier", whereas the Recto sounds clearer and less dense!

These are all tones to base off of you know.. focus more so on.. I know there are plenty of bends I enjoy that use recs and it sounds AWESOME.

I'm just trying to push for more of a raw tone.. yeah "The Secret" has a real good tone from what I can tell.. I think it's just crushing honestly.

I may just try out a mesa cab and see what's up.

Also, check out clips by Mark (MetalJonesy), he uses a Marshall 1960 with 2 V30s in it and gets some great sounds with his little Krank Rev Jr. through it! (e.g. this one)

cheers for posting that Marcus. I actually now have 3 V30s in the 1960A and its sounding wicked in the room, just need more time to capture it!:headbang: i wudnt say id want a mesa cab instead of my marshall, guess id have to try it out, but if i cud start over again id love a fully loaded V30 mesa 4x12

If it were me, I would stay away from a fully loaded V30 Marshall cab with a JCM800. I had a Lee Jackson modded JCM 800 and it sounded extremely shrill and high pitched with my 1960 V30 slant cab. It sounded a lot better with my standard 1960A with T75s and even better with my friend's Marshall cab with greenbacks. The X pattern may be nice though. That's what I currently utilize in my Marshall cab and I have no complaints, but then again I do all my recording direct now.

Actually, the Marshall cab is named "jcm 800 lead". He's using a triple recifier as an amp.
jcm800lead.jpg

I'd do an X-pattern with V30's and keep the Marshall cab.

Hrm not too bad. I like the sound of where you were heading with yours a bit more.. I'm not digging the scoop sound too much.. especially since I'll be grabbing a PRS custom 24 down the road this year.. which ='s scoopy haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSdnzR6RWR8

I love the punch he gets from his tone for some reason.

at 2:30 is the best way to distinguish it.. not really all my cup of tea on the music front.. but I like the tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvirfrgPQ4

also just like. . the galloping crunch is awesome awesome at the beginning of this song.

All I could find is live haha.

holy shit that first band sounds like a black metal converge or something
THAT SHIT IS GOOD

Actually, the Marshall cab is named "jcm 800 lead". He's using a triple recifier as an amp.
jcm800lead.jpg

I'd do an X-pattern with V30's and keep the Marshall cab.

Oh crap, thanks for the correction Jocke. In the case of the Triple Rec, in my experience it sounds awesome through either the V30 or T75 in a Marshall cab. The X-pattern would be nice as well.