Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
here you go, the contestants are:

Mesa Rectifier (MesaCustomV30)
Bogner Übercab (V30 + g12-t75)
Marshall 1960DM (CustomV30)
Marshall 1960AV (CustomV30)
Marshall 1960 JCM900 (g12-t75)

This of course cannot be a 100% scientific test, every cab would need different amplifier settings...that again would make comparing really difficult, so I chose a settings that kinda works with every cab...to a degree.

also is the mic placing not 100% the same on all the cabs (close though) and some speakers are broken in quite nicely, some not at all (the 1960DM and Übercab for example)

I also think I should have placed the mic a bit different on the 1960DM, it doesn't really do the beaty of this cab justice.....

ANYWAYS, here are all the files:

Cab/Speaker Shootout

All Speakers mic'd with 3 Mics

Great comparison!

I voted for the 1960AV, Bogner would be second, Mesa third, 1960 ADM fourth, 1960 lead last.

Did the test blind and here's what I thought about each tone:

Mesa: Good but too boomy in the low end, lacks some core mids
1960 ADM: Nice, maybe a bit sharp / fizzy
1960 AV: Nice, controlled and powerful, maybe a bit too honky but that usually works well in a mix
Bogner: A bit too scooped for my taste but not bad
1960 lead: weirdest sound of all, a bit narrow, chemical, somewhat phasey(?) sound

It would be great if you could make an unbroken/broken in comparison cause it always sounded like audiophile bullshit to me tbh.
Imo, the difference between the ADM and the Mesa OS and the AV have more to do with the ipswitch/non ipswitch stuff... I could be totally wrong tho.

The Marshall 1960AV and the Mesa seem to have more unfocused lower mids that to me makes the tone almost sound "cheap". I thought the Bogner was nice and crisp and had a defined lower midrange.

I am really surprised I have been a Marshall guy forever.

The 900 cab just sounded like shit to me.

They all sound great. My favs being the Marshall ones (esp. the 1960Lead), that give that kinda scooped Deftones guitar tone feel. Mesa was cool also, very neutral though, Bogner is my least favourite.

I think something between 1960AV and MesaRecto will be perfect!

It's hard to pick one between these but I like it a little more the Mesa.

I hear the other cabs have a less defined sound.

:devil:

For v30:
Marshall 1960DM
Mesa rectifier
Bogner ubercab

For t75:D
Marshall 1960A

No love for Marshall 1960AV for me, but I don't close my choice on it because one clip isn't enough for create some hate again it.

1960AV is my choice, it has the least amount of sizzle/hiss. That's probably a tone you were going for, but it is offensive to my ears :p