The Ultimate v30 Cab Shootout 2010

Pick Your Fav

• Total voters
The only one I didn't care for was the 1960DM, it had some funky midrange sound to my ears. I thought the Bogner sounded pretty good, it had some nice crispyness going on, maybe back off the treble a little bit, but I thought it sounded good. The recitfier lived up to its reputation, but I was surprised at how good the 1960 AV sounded. Pretty wild how much difference there is on all these cabs!

I liked the Recto and 1960AV. They sound more dimensional in size to me.
Stiletto was good also, would work nicely in a mix where the guitars need to leave some more space on the bottom and top end.

Great comparison! Thanks for doing this. I honestly can't really pick a favorite. All are extremely usable...it would really depend on the music.

Great to hear all of these side by side. In the end it confirms what I've always thought: I like the 1960AV the best and the Mesa OS is not for me. Of the other one's I like the Stiletto best and the Uberkab least.

A mix of the AV and the Recto cab would sound amazing IMO, like let's say a 65%, Recto 40% Marshall tone. They all sound pretty good though, but those two are my favourite.

I think the special V30s Mesa and Marshall use sound better than typical V30s for whatever reason...

What Lasse was saying about running the presence higher on the Recto cab is one of the things I love about the Recto cab/the Mesa V30s. They are a lot less fizzy compared to some other V30 cabs I've had (like my old Bogner Standard v30 4x12)... This allows you to run the presence nice and high without getting buzz saw tone. I like a nice, bright cutting tone, and I can get there with the Mesa without hurting my ears.

1960AV -> bogner/Stiletto -> Recto -> 1960DM

Opinion based on the styles I usually play now. I can see why the Recto is the best one for many people, though. All of them are killer.

Thanks for the shootout.

Awesome comparison, thanks for taking the time!

1. Recto - most balanced raw sound and best lows; powerful palm mutes; slightly dark
2. Uber - very agressive; defined; a bit fizzy; mid spike
3. AV and Stiletto - cliassical British and US tones, respectively; slight boxyness
4. DM - tight; harsh highs

These are my thoughts based on the tones with these particular settings.

As far as the cab that sounds good with the 6505, the Recto cab was the only one I felt that really voices well with the head.
The rest just sound like they belong with other amp heads to me, so the Recto cab wins by a big margin for me.

my initial thoughts are recto, but then the 1960AV hits me and im like yeah, this sounds fuckin tough!
then i go back an listen to the recto and i initially think this sounds bland next the the AV but then my ears settle into it and i love it.
so im torn.

i think Recto and 1960AV are definitely my favourites, followed by stiletto, followed by bogner, followed by 1960DM :)