Recto Cab v Orange v Marshall

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Hmm that Orange sounds strange. Even to me though I own two of those cabs..... Almost like there's something weird in the high-mid frequencies?

Here's how one of mine sounds:

Last edited by a moderator:
Recto and Marshall are slants. Orange is straight.
The Orange sounds a bit "scooped" to me but works great for non metal.
I wasn't super scientific on mic placement here. slightly off axis just outside the dust cap.
Oh yeah, no processing on these at all so you would be treating them differently in the mix.
I use all of them all the time depending on the band/sound.

Cool! I guess the Rectifier has that typical high end presence that fits that genre quite well. Marshall has an icepicky presence but also work well. The Orange sounds a bit "woolly"?

Exactly what I find.
The orange seems to soften the pick attack compared to the other 2. The Marshall throws the attack forward the most out of the 3.
For indie or grunge stuff the Orange is great because the guitar sits in the mix better, unlike metal where you want the guitar jumping through the mix. The Mesa sounds terrible for that stuff. Way too in your face.

Hm....Clark mine orange doesn't sound nothing like yours,
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13380653/Orange.mp3

Rockerverb 50 Treble 4 Mid 4 Bass 2 Gain 6.5
Bottom Right speaker SM57
No processing

Your is mid heavy,even when I turn the mid knob up it doesn't sound like that.What speaker did you mic?

Btw guitar strings are older than me ...sry

We're talking about guitar cabinets here but my clip was Rockerverb with the Orange slanted 4x12 cab. Here's a clip of my straight 4x12 Orange cab with Rockerverb: http://soundcloud.com/koalia/koalia-let-us-party

This is a video I made the day I got the Rockerverb and the straight cab. Settings were crazy since master was at 1 out of 10... still loud enough to get a warning from neighbors. :D Settings were like... treble 7, middle 1, bass 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know,I have orange cab ,sry didn't wrote it.Its rockerverb and ppc 4x12 v30 but mine sounds scooped compared to yours.no matter what mic position or amp settings

That is really weird. Hmm... Mine is Rockerverb 100 MKII ... it has EL34 tubes. Could it be the difference?

I have the 1960AV and immediately recognize it in your comparision... that icepicky highs are such a headache to treat in a mix. If I cut - guitars get dull with no attack, if i leave or go softly - harshness everywhere... same with mic positioning, just so hard to find the sweet spot!

The cab is little scooped,with 6505 its the same thing (different character of course).
What speaker do you mic?And is it on-axis off-axis or angled ?

Btw that clip is badass!

In that video it was the top left speaker but I usually go with the bottom right speaker. They all sound a bit different and on mine the bottom right speakers sound more hifi... or maybe even Mesa-like.

Mesa wins for me too. Marshall sounds good though. Agreed about the Orange. I'm not digging that for metal.

i dunno i've never been able to pull anything nice out of the Orange either. I think its the grill that does it.

the cab absolutely slays in the room but for close micing ..... ehhhh. I don't think SM57 is the right mic for this cab. I want to rent a C414 and see how that goes when I get some time