Blended with:
lolzgreg's ASEM RECTO V30 L2
Catharsis' s-preshigh
Redwire's MesaRectifierV30s-i5-CapEdge-12in
Guitarhack's (?) EDGE -1 I Inch ala Sneap pic

Yeah, all 6 impulses at once per track, quadtracked. :lol:

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do blend 6 Impulses ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been having troubles with Lecab 2 when it comes to panning. since I have my tracks being sent to a bus with x50 and lecab 2 and have everything setup in it like the pan select buttons and then pan each individual cab, sometimes it doesn't even pan some tracks or one track will be panned right and the left doesn't pan, or I can't do the traditional 100% and 80% panning because it just throws the signal all over the place. Just weird shit like that, and it's really annoying, anyone else have troubles similar to this?

From God's Cab:
U87_grill_edge_pres_3
NT5_stereo_live_room_pres_3

Blended with:
lolzgreg's ASEM RECTO V30 L2
Catharsis' s-preshigh
Redwire's MesaRectifierV30s-i5-CapEdge-12in
Guitarhack's (?) EDGE -1 I Inch ala Sneap pic

Yeah, all 6 impulses at once per track, quadtracked. :lol:

Mind sharing what you used for drums and some eq stuff on the guitars?
Because im blown away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so here it is the explanation.

As everybody knows, impulses sound flat and sterile. I hate to admit it, but that's a fact. I'd love to be able to record using real amps and cabs, but that's just not possible to me right now.

So, I've always tried my best to improve the quality and realism of my guitars.

I came to the conclusion that one of the worst disadvantages of using impulses is that they can't capture the cab's weight and they are totally flat: they're an equalizer, or a filter, whatever you prefer to call it.

In a real cab, the flat sound coming from the amp is shaped dynamically so, the closest I can get to some of the amp's dynamic with the actual available audio technology is using compressors. But compressors don't actually add dynamics, they flatten they out, so I thought that maybe it was a good idea to "uncompress" the midrange and lowend to give more "thump" to the sound.

So, take a look at my chain:

No tubescreamer, instead, a high boost. I'm getting tired of TS. I have started thinking that using a software TS contributes to the overall "ampsim sound" that you can recognize miles away.
1.png

Then the amp, I really liked LeGion while testing this new system.
2.png

LeCab, with the 6 impulses listed in my post above.
3.png

And now here comes the new stuff. I want to feel a mic'd cab, I want that massive lowend that has to be filtered later, leaving some traces of massive bass response:
4.png

And now I want the frequencies to be more dynamic, I want the feeling of the air pressure on the mic. Obviously this is nothing like the real deal, but sounded awesome compared to the regular way:
5.png

Note that the settings are specific to my chain, you will have to tweak them to fit your own chains.

Here it is an example of it working:
1.gif

The whole frequency spectrum gets modified and responds dynamically to my playing.
It actually acts quicker, but the gif framerate doesn't let you see the real thing.

And finally, the post EQ for all the guitars together:
6.png

If you have any questions, just ask them here ;)

Cheers!:kickass:

You are my god at this point. I am mixing my solo album at the moment and get stuck everytime not being satisfied to get a good mix + guitar tone. It's not that I can't do it, i'm not saying im an expert but i do know i've put some good mixes here in the past.
Mind us skyping or whatsapping or whatever sometime? PM? At this moment i think you can be a very, very great help to finish my damn record with some tips or anything haha!

Cheers and a big thx.

Wow that's a lot of boosting for guitars, I think the 400 boost might've killed your snare punch a bit. But yeah those are some pretty thick guitars, interesting use of multiband comp...

Edit: So I tried that myself on guitars today, I just took an old mix and changed around some stuff, so it's by no means perfect for the tone, but I think it turned out pretty cool. Also I don't have RBass so I used the bass enhancer in BootEQ MK2, and I used reaeq and reaxcomp (obviously different settings). http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13494639/punkbitch.mp3(only dual tracked) Oh and I used another Redwirez instead of the GuitarHack impulse. There's a part where there are no guitars but they come back in again.

Fukin Erik, shitting on the face of convention making life better for the rest of us.

Very creative thinking on your part, with pretty obvious (desirable) effects. :worship:

Must try this

Thanks!

Actually if you see the C4 settings, I'm also regulating the character of the frequency bands with the att/rel settings. Slow attack and release in the lower bands for lowend punch; fast settings on the higher bands for smoother high end response.

Really nice and innovative idea, as noted already. I have a question and it may be too obvious of an answer: The post EQ for the guitars, are you applying that on each guitar track or is it one instance on a guitar bus?

FYI guys :

We are planning on doing some Off Axis SM57 IR's, and maybe the Fredman method too.

Also, we just started recording our bands' EP today, the drummer has an exquisite kit, and it sounds glorious.
We will be releasing a 'GODS DRUMS' pack as well.
Cymbals, two toms, kick and a snare, and a bunch of hits and velocities.

May not be the best, but we are certainly stoked!

Thanks for all of the support!