OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

ownhammer

New Metal Member
Aug 5, 2010
www.ownhammer.com
********** edit **********
To prevent clutter on the board, below is a list of current releases.

January 15, 2011
- 412-GTR SLM V30-1

January 5, 2011
- 412-GTR SLM M75

December 22, 2010
- 412-GTR SLM H65

November 26, 2010
- 112-GTR Boogafunk 12L

November 5, 2010
- 412-GTR Mills 12K

October 15, 2010
- 112-GTR Boogafunk BLU
- 412-GTR Mesa V30 #1
- 412-GTR Mesa V30 #2

Hello,
My name is Kevin and I am the owner and operator of OwnHammer.com. Today marks the initial launch of the Speaker Cabinet portion of the OwnHammer Impulse Response Libraries. The OwnHammer Speaker Cabinet libraries are offered in commercial Nebula, Axe-Fx, and Convolution Reverb format and present you with not only the choice of cab make and model, but also different makes and models of speakers that have been placed and sampled within it.

Each Speaker Cabinet library contains 7 microphone choices where placement is based on the sweet spot area for that particular mic. There are 5 sampled placements per microphone, and an additional 5 placements of impulses dubbed Mix-n-Match, which are 50-50 level dual mic combinations. The approach of offering less positions is by concept of quality over quantity, allowing for increased work flow and less time spent searching and auditioning endless amounts of impulse choices, most of which you may never use. Pick the mic whose character works best for your desired sound, fine tune with placement, and you're off!

Audio samples using original music compositions are available on the site, demonstrating the impulses used in bare-bones setup configurations, of which equipment and setting are displayed to inform you how the sound was achieved. At the current time of this posting, there are 3 Speaker Cabinet Libraries available, with more than 50 immediately in the development queue. For much more information please visit the site:

http://www.ownhammer.com

Hope to see you there!

Best Wishes,
Kevin
www.ownhammer.com

I want them but I just need to have a better listening environment to make an informed decision. I haven't been too impressed the free nebula-programs cabinets. I have high hopes for this.

edit: Screw it. I went ahead and grabbed the #2 V30 for Nebula. It's only $20. I'll screw around with it this weekend and post up a clip.

I want them but I just need to have a better listening environment to make an informed decision. I haven't been too impressed the free nebula-programs cabinets. I have high hopes for this.

edit: Screw it. I went ahead and grabbed the #2 V30 for Nebula. It's only $20. I'll screw around with it this weekend and post up a clip.

Buy the .wav files as well and do a shootout! :D:D:worship:

I'll do Ryan's spreshigh vs. the neb cab with the Rose of Sharyn DI's that everyone loves so much! I also have that mesa cab impulse* that popped up here. Sorry but I can't remember who's it was? I'll throw that in as well.

Can you try things out with a real amp? I can't tell much with software amps - they all sound more or less the same in a mix.

I could but all I have access to at my place is a crappy little Roland Cube30. No one wants to hear that!
So see the next post for my super unscientific comparison...

First things first: I freely admit that I'm not an expert at guitar tone or mixing at all. This is all just good fun for me. I hope this helps someone.

I used the first minute or so of Jeff's famous Rose of Sharyn DI. Thanks Jeff! Nice tight playing. Wish my guys could do it like that.

I used The TSE808 boost and the Lecto Beta head into LeCab for the impulses and Nebula 3 Commercial for the Ownhammer programs. I had 2 EQ's running after all the cabs. All EQ settings stayed the same for each GTR each clip. None of the eq settings are optimal I'm sure. I used someone's "presets" that were posted in the rate my mix section for a Lecto "tact." Sorry fellow Sneapster. I looked for the thread to give proper credit but couldn't find it...:cry:

Exact same pseudo-mastering chain on each clip as well.

The 100% Panned GTR's were on the Vintage Red for the Lecto. The 80% GTR's are on the Modern Red channel.
I also used Reapers stock JS/Loser saturation plug at 50%.

There's a few other small things going on. Gate etc that are just in my stock GTR chain. Screehshots are available if anyone wants them.

Let's get to it already!

First Render is lolzgreg's ASEM Recto V30 L2 impulse:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144930/ASEM ROSE.mp3

No explanation necessary except thanks to lolzgreg for making this demo available to us for free!

Next is Ryan's SPRESHIGH impulse:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144930/SPRESHIGH ROSE.mp3

Again no explanation needed. Is this the world's most popular guitar cab impulse? I think it may be. Thanks Ryan!

Last is the Ownhammer program. It's the Mesa 412 v30 #2 pack:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144930/OWNHAMMER ROSE.mp3

A few words about this Ownhammer thing... it seems so much LOUDER than the other 2 right? I tried to keep the RMS levels roughly the same for all clips but looking at all the waveforms in the DAW the Nebula program is much more steadystate making for more perceived loudness I imagine. Of course I'm no scientist or whatever but it sure is louder at close to the same RMS. Mids mids mids.

Now I've only spent about 30 minutes with these new Nebula programs so there's no tailored eq or saturation. There's like 30 different programs in the package. I used mnm_3 (which is I think the Mojave MA-200 mic) on the 100% GTR's and sm57_3 on the 80% GTR's. I'm sure with some time and a better ear than mine these programs will work out pretty well. The fathead mic programs sounded pretty promising.

I think a mixture of the SPRESHIGH/ASEM impulse in LeCab and The Nebula programs all together would work out pretty well with some tweaking. I may try that tomorrow and post up what I get if anyone's interested. Try to get the steadystate feel of the Nebula cab and some of the peaky chunk from the impulses... with a dash of multi-band comp thrown in of course.

I did note some phasing in the Nebula programs and a strange "scrunchy" noise at times. The phasing might be helped by printing the fx and dragging the track. I didn't do any of that stuff. Nebula programs are not phase accurate to my ears.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Hi HDWR,
First of all thanks very much for the business and for posting this up for everyone, sounds great! I just wanted to chime in on a couple of indirect questions I see in your post and hope that I can help shed some light on a few things.

The impulses were sampled across a large dynamic range and there was no compression or loudness maximization used to boost RMS values in the deconvolution phase, so I'm wondering are the waveforms you're looking at pre or post EQ (and for that matter, other processing) and if that may play a part in the other waveforms not looking quite as steady state? In either case, the perceived loudness at the same RMS value may help in clearing some headroom for other instruments/sounds in the inevitable "loudness war" of boosting the mix up, so to many this may be quite a plus!

To anyone who may be reading, each package contains 40 unique impulses, 5 impulses for each of the 7 mics, and 5 of the Mix-n-Match impulses. The MnM_3 impulse you mentioned is actually Mix-n-Match 3, which is an sm57 and e906 blended together 50/50. The list of what each Mix-n-Match is can be found at Question/Answer #3 on the Impulses F.A.Q. page:

http://www.ownhammer.com/support/impulsesfaq/

There is a 16 character limit on what I am able to smash into the impulse titles in Nebula, so I did my best to make the title contain as much useful information as possible. However if you click on PROG, you can see a longer description underneath the 16 character title.

All of the impulses (in all 3 formats) were tested for phase consistency when combining multiple impulses from any of the OwnHammer speaker cabinet libraries. I am unsure if this is in reference to phase issues when mixing these with other, non-OwnHammer impulses in which more than likely yes, the OwnHammer impulses will probably be out of phase when combined with other 3rd party impulses. In this case you may need to enlist the use of a phase alignment tool in order to combine the OwnHammer impulses with non-OwnHammer impulses. If you are experiencing this when combining impulses from the OwnHammer library, I can only surmise that some form of playback latency is at hand.

So far as the "scrunchy" noise, I would check to make sure you are not peaking any compressors or limiters placed after the Nebula instance (be it on the track or on any bus following it) which may be presenting artifacts, and also check your computers resource utilization. If you are peaking CPU or disk i/o, you may be experiencing dropouts or similar ill natured issues. When switching between Nebula impulses, there is a static noise if you are doing so during live playback, but this is natural for the plugin and not inherent to the OwnHammer impulses.

Hope this may answer any questions within your post or that may arise from it. Glad to have you on board and I wish you the best of luck in your use of the OwnHammer Impulses!

Best Regards,
Kevin

Hard to say by those clips (Nebula is a LOT louder and way middier.. I'd have tried to make them more similar EQ-wise, and level-wise), but it sounds pretty good. Whats the CPU consumption like, in comparison to an impulse?

just purchased 412-GTR Mesa V30-1 (SYX) and 112-GTR Boogafunk BLU (SYX)...curious about how these are, testing tomorrow.

cheers
S.

Hard to say by those clips (Nebula is a LOT louder and way middier.. I'd have tried to make them more similar EQ-wise, and level-wise), but it sounds pretty good. Whats the CPU consumption like, in comparison to an impulse?

I used the same exact settings for all the renders to show the difference between them all. Seemed the right thing to do for a generic shootout.

Nebula is FAR FAR more resouce hungry than an impulse. That said I have an i7-950 cpu and I can run probably 70 instances of nebula before crapping out.

About the phase issues: I was speaking to only ownhammer being combined with ownhammer. When I combined the mix and match and an sm57 program I can hear phasing. I'm not an expert or anything but it's hard for me to see how a 2 mic program when combined with a 1 mic program can be phase accurate. I'll check into the scrunchy noises. It could def be some post fx issue.

I really like nebula for saturation and eq. Maybe after I'll like it for cab simulation too with the ownhammer stuff. AlexB's console programs are good too. Sadly Nebula's ability to mimic compressors is not so good.

I'm hoping Ermz will get in on this as I know he's a big proponent of Nebula and, like me, has been wating for some Nebula cab sims. Plus he's far better at this shit than me!

I'm going to fool around with it today more and post up results. So more on all this later. I'd like to hear a Mesa program with a good ribbon mic at some point for the rock type stuff.

Curious to hear what soultrash thinks of the axefx cab sims he bought. Post up your findings when you get a chance soultrash.

How interesting.. sounds like someone may have been listening to our complaints against the current crop of retail impulse libraries. Must have been years now we've asked for Nebula programs and quality over quantity.

Keen to give this a shot, but after wasting my money on the Redwires I think I'll hang back and just see what you guys come up with first. Going to go and listen to the site clips now!

I think a mixture of the SPRESHIGH/ASEM impulse in LeCab and The Nebula programs all together would work out pretty well with some tweaking. I may try that tomorrow and post up what I get if anyone's interested. Try to get the steadystate feel of the Nebula cab and some of the peaky chunk from the impulses... with a dash of multi-band comp thrown in of course.

Quick side note, you (and it sounds like a few others) may be quite interested in the 412 Mesa 12K, as it has more of the scooped mids, peaky highs, and big lows. This is also the next product in queue for development, and should hopefully be out in a few weeks.

Analogueinthebox said in the Nebula forums some time ago that they were working on some cab sims for Nebula. I emailed and asked what the roll out date was but received no reply.
I have high hopes for this stuff. Nebula being brilliant at most things. I hope it can bring the world of virtual cabs to a new level.

The Nebula clip is pretty middy, but definitely has a 3d quality that sounds really promising. I think with some eq tweaks it would definitely kick ass...

It all depends on how well it takes EQ.

I can throw my 6505 into Ryan's Pres8 impulse and beat the raw sound of 98% of raw amp tracks I've ever heard, but once you start to EQ, it falls apart very quickly. It's easy to be deceived by the potential, but the only way to know is to go there and do it. It's why I spent the whole day toying with those Fortin Natas tracks.