OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Hey everybody,
Just wanted to give a heads up on what the next few OwnHammer IR releases are going to be. I don't have dates, just an order of the next releases:

412-GTR Mills 12K - great for, but not limited to, metal
112-GTR Boogafunk 12L - the true EVM thiele sound
412-GTR SLM H65 - gooey Marshall sound
412-GTR Krank TEX - anothter addition to, but not limited to, the metal player's palette

These on top of what has already been released should cover a lot of tonal ground for everyone! Open back IR's are also on the short list, and I'm hoping to release them in tandem with the first batch of 'Rooms and Spaces' IR's so users can get the 'cab in the room' feel. This is subject to change, but is the intention!

Kevin

Hello everyone!

Available today on OwnHammer.com is the "412-GTR Mills 12K" impulse response library, which is a combination of the Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B and the Celestion G12K-100. For anyone who may not be familiar with the cab and/or speaker, a quick and general description of them would be that:

When compared to the Mesa Rectifier 4x12, the Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B has a little more:
- cabinet resonance
- mids

When compared to the Vintage 30, the G12K-100 has a:
- more open high end
- bigger and deeper low end

Please do not fall victim to the preconceived notion that this combo is for metal only! Low gain and vintage vibe players may find the less compressed top and raunchy mids just as endearing as modern high gain players will find the added cavernous chunk to down-tuned staccato. Check out the sound clips for yourself at:

http://www.ownhammer.com/impulses/412-gtr/media/mills/12k/

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
OwnHammer.com

Did a quick sample with a prerecorded track - the track is something a friend of mine and i whipped up - sorry for the crappy played sections, they're all mine!

Guitar chain -> Schecter Blackjack C-7 tuned to drop Ab with stock JBs(need to swap these out for bareknuckles!) -> BSS AR133 DI -> Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Mic In -> Mokafix Cream Tube -> Peavey Revalver (modded 6505 sim on the left, and modded JSX on the right) -> Ownhammer Mesa 2 nebula (forgot which one!) blended with AE's Beta 91 mesa nebula on the left, and Ownhammer Mesa 1 nebula SM7b-4 on the right -> heavy EQ, master bus compression etc!

link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14629771/HydroGrey - PEAEY 6505 L and JSX R, ownhammer nebula impulses.mp3

edit: forgot to mention - drums are superior metal foundry with avatar 13" picolo snare. Bass is "fake bass" - one guitar track pitch shifted and delayed slightly with heavy processing! Lemme know if the mastering is excessive. Also, mix brickbats would be nice :)

Basically I wanted to see how these sounded in a mix, a friend of mine had sent me samples for the impulses and I was quite impressed by those and what was on the site.

I was not prepared for the nebula madness though! That cabinet resonance and ring that has never been there in impulses just made the tracks sound alive. I didn't even care how the mic positions sounded EQ wise for a moment, I was so blown away by how real it sounded!

HOWEVER - my 0.2cents -> Some of the impulses, at least the .wav stuff, is out of time. It needs time correction, typically about 0.1-0.15 ms but it does have comb filtering(??? - that glassy sound when 2 mics are slightly out of sync with each other) artifacts. Even recabinet had this problem, despite the claims. Redwirez however is spot on - ALL the impulses are time and phase corrected and can be combined in any permutation combination. These ownhammer ones are in phase, but not in time! An update with time corrected libraries would sound great!

I still went ahead and bought all 3 412 libraries. Most of the impulses sound awesome, and I love the quality over quantity approach, and the mixnmatch impulses are good enough for me to get a full tone! Drop in a time & phase corrected beta 91 or D6 impulse in there and we're ready to roll!

Nebula 2 + ownhammer has officially cured me of my axe fx gas :) At least for metal rhythm tones!

This forum owns \m/. Thank you AE for the deliciously detailed nebula n00b posts!

Did a quick sample with a prerecorded track - the track is something a friend of mine and i whipped up - sorry for the crappy played sections, they're all mine!

Guitar chain -> Schecter Blackjack C-7 tuned to drop Ab with stock JBs(need to swap these out for bareknuckles!) -> BSS AR133 DI -> Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Mic In -> Mokafix Cream Tube -> Peavey Revalver (modded 6505 sim on the left, and modded JSX on the right) -> Ownhammer Mesa 2 nebula (forgot which one!) blended with AE's Beta 91 mesa nebula on the left, and Ownhammer Mesa 1 nebula SM7b-4 on the right -> heavy EQ, master bus compression etc!

link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14629771/HydroGrey - PEAEY 6505 L and JSX R, ownhammer nebula impulses.mp3

edit: forgot to mention - drums are superior metal foundry with avatar 13" picolo snare. Bass is "fake bass" - one guitar track pitch shifted and delayed slightly with heavy processing! Lemme know if the mastering is excessive. Also, mix brickbats would be nice :)

Basically I wanted to see how these sounded in a mix, a friend of mine had sent me samples for the impulses and I was quite impressed by those and what was on the site.

I was not prepared for the nebula madness though! That cabinet resonance and ring that has never been there in impulses just made the tracks sound alive. I didn't even care how the mic positions sounded EQ wise for a moment, I was so blown away by how real it sounded!

HOWEVER - my 0.2cents -> Some of the impulses, at least the .wav stuff, is out of time. It needs time correction, typically about 0.1-0.15 ms but it does have comb filtering(??? - that glassy sound when 2 mics are slightly out of sync with each other) artifacts. Even recabinet had this problem, despite the claims. Redwirez however is spot on - ALL the impulses are time and phase corrected and can be combined in any permutation combination. These ownhammer ones are in phase, but not in time! An update with time corrected libraries would sound great!

I still went ahead and bought all 3 412 libraries. Most of the impulses sound awesome, and I love the quality over quantity approach, and the mixnmatch impulses are good enough for me to get a full tone! Drop in a time & phase corrected beta 91 or D6 impulse in there and we're ready to roll!

Nebula 2 + ownhammer has officially cured me of my axe fx gas :) At least for metal rhythm tones!

This forum owns m/. Thank you AE for the deliciously detailed nebula n00b posts!

Fuck dude...that's a crushing guitar tone right there! :yow::yow:

Edit: Just bought Nebula and am about to buy the impulses...can't take the G.A.S. anymore!

hey, i bought nebula 2 but not nebula 3 would i be able to use these nebula responses with Nebula 2 Full version?

Picked these up too...just some initial fuckery thus far but the Nebula impulses sound damn fine! About time we get more impulses using this tech.

I had the same first impression last night. Too bad the Nebula interface is clunky as fuckall. Sometimes it retains your in/out settings when changing impulses, sometimes not.

So what do yous lot think of these impulses so far? Are they worth spending some dough on? I wouldn't mind spending a lil bit if it means getting some good impulses!

So what do yous lot think of these impulses so far? Are they worth spending some dough on? I wouldn't mind spending a lil bit if it means getting some good impulses!

I don't know if any of us are using the actual impulses. Seems everyone in this thread is using the Nebula Cab sim program. To my ears at least the Nebual program sound much more authentic than any impulse I've had experience with.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144930/10-16 CLC PANNER OWNHAMMER ROSE.mp3

Just bought the V30#2 and the Mills set... Best 24 Euros I ever spent! Dynamic response... It feels really good compared to everything I tried (impulses, cab simulators etc)

Hmm. Demos to me are sounding pretty poor. Really lacking low end and mid-range definition. Sounds kind of mushy. I'm hoping it's just the skill of the demo maker, as opposed to the technology :S

Could someone possibly post some clips with some downtuned riffs? Anything in B standard or lower would be great.

Hmm. Demos to me are sounding pretty poor. Really lacking low end and mid-range definition. Sounds kind of mushy. I'm hoping it's just the skill of the demo maker, as opposed to the technology :S

That's preatty much why I bought the V30#2 pack in the first place... Since most of people cannot get a decent tone out of a real mesa and 4x12, I just thought that 12 euros were a fair price to spend and test the stuff immediately...

For me, it's really the next step in gear simulation... When you palm mute heavy stuff you can really "feel" the lack of energy with old impulses.. like if there is a bass boost but the tone fall apart... Not with those impulses, you can palm mute like hell, and you still feel the energy..

Sorry it's quite a hard thing to explain, and english it's not my first language.. But I'll promise I post some clips as soon as I got a good demo.