Mills Acoustics Cabinets- Diving Deeper

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
First off, as you guys know, I'm open to new things and do a lot of research. I have not been paid by Mills Acoustics to write about their cabinets, but I have to share some more information for anyone who is interested:

If you play live, and you want to really hear what's going on with your guitar, the Mills Acoustics cabinets are the way to go. They legitimately sound "bigger" than any cabinet I have ever tried. The reason why, is because Mills is doing something different. Most speaker manufacturers are copying "tried-and-true" methods, while Mills tried something innovative.

For examples, Matt Bellamy from Muse is endorsed by Diezel. A lot of hype surrounds the Diezel cabinets, SOME people claim them to be "the best of the best," (I can honestly say I've never played one) yet Muse bought four Mills Afterburner 412's to run with their Diezel VH4's live. We all know that a lot of artists get paid by manufacturers to use their stuff. When they go out and PURCHASE a product from another manufacturer, it's generally a big deal.

For recording, you will be hard pressed to find such a resposive cabinet. They are NOT THAT PICKY when it comes to microphone placement; IMHO this is an engineer's dream. Sometimes it can take me several tries, usually too long, to find the real sweet spot on my Mesa cabinet. Every time I have put a microphone on the Mills, it has sounded good. Here's a quote from the owner of Mills Acoustics, Dave, when I asked him:

"The cab just has a "huge sweet spot" for mic placement. Since a typical guitar speaker (and guitar for that matter) is by design a "mid range" instrument (60hz-6khz) a cab that is doing it's job will naturally bring this out. Since the Afterburner baffle disrupts the timing of the reflected waves coming out of the BACK of the cone, fewer are "bounced back" into the speaker which results in the speaker cone not having to suffer from the phasing issues which are what standing waves do to the cone. And since we don't have to add batting or padding, the cab is extremely responsive and "lively" without adversely affecting speaker performance. This translates into "the big sweet spot" and that room-filling projection." - Dave

The thing that really seals the deal is that they are the lowest priced premium custom cabinet available AND if you don't like your cabinet, you will get a 100% refund, including your original shipping costs. No other cabinet maker offers this kind of guarantee.

Try 'em out guys, you won't be sorry.

It must be said I'm intrigued. Just to throw in my 2 cent's about the Diezel cab's btw, played through one at a gig once and I loved my guitar tone that night, really need to get my Blackstar out and give that a test run though.

Fedex just delivered mine to me today. I'm the dude who messaged you earlier on AIM, Greg. I wasn't there when you replied back though, sorry. I haven't tried it out yet because the rest of my equipment is at a friend's house right now, but I probably will be able to try it out tomorrow... I'm expecting greatness here from the Engl SE head + Mills cab :D

Thanks bro i just shot him an email.

Hey, broseph. We're not super close or anything, but both in the middle section of FL. Probably a few hours away. Maybe we could chill sometime and you could check it out. I think I remember hearing a clip you posted before and you were a pretty badass guitar player too, eh?

Hey, broseph. We're not super close or anything, but both in the middle section of FL. Probably a few hours away. Maybe we could chill sometime and you could check it out. I think I remember hearing a clip you posted before and you were a pretty badass guitar player too, eh?

i'm an ok player nothing special but hit me up on aim sometime bro and we can chat. demisephil

About the Muse and Diezel endorsement thing. Diezel does not pay any artist to play their products nor do any of their "artists" receive any type of discount whatsoever. Not James Hetfield, not Billy Corgan, not anyone. While Mills does indeed sponsor artists. A Diezel cab costs a staggering $1700. While a Mills cab after endorsement likely only costs around $800 (my guess only). The savings would be nearly $4,000 after buying four Mills cabs vs. four Diezel cabs.

I have heard great things about the Mills cabs but I believe that I read that you have 2 GK100 speakers in this Mills cab while you do not have those speakers in any other of your cabs? (i could be completely wrong on this detail since I read the thread a bit ago). This would likely be the largest difference and possible improvement in tone that you are hearing and not necessarily as large of an improvement by the cab design itself. Also the two biggest standout differences between Mills vs. other premium cab brands as far as affecting the tone are the dimensions and the Mills baffle. The baffle is shown here: http://millsacoustics.com/quality.html
I believe that these cabs are an exceptional value and if I were to buy a brand new cab right now, I would likely go with Mills. (well as long as I didn't have to move them :p)

£1,299 (roughly $2000) over here. Wow, and I thought a Recto 4x12 was expensive at £939 (roughly $1500).

Indeed, not cheap :( Could Pick up a Mesa OS AND a Marshall/Orange to go with it for that kinda money.

Though the whole concept of the baffle to create a larger sweet spot is tempting me to put one together myself and screw it into my Blackstar, I doubt my effort would work anywhere near as well though!