Diezel Einstein / Mesa V30 / I5 E906 / Full Production

Whoa, nice. Nice song and nice production!
Are you telling me this is not mastered yet?! Not even a quick master?

Oh, and if the bass "has its own lines" I think they should be more heard :) Always cool to hear bass lines.

Anyway, sounds fucking great.

Whoa, nice. Nice song and nice production!
Are you telling me this is not mastered yet?! Not even a quick master?

naaah, no mastering yet. though i always mix through the uad buss compressor,
but only - 2 db of gain reduction, glues the mix together a little more,
and some 16 Khz boost.

But no maximizing / loudness limiting applied yet.

i will save that for my new uad 2 fatso tape saturator!!! :worship:

I thought I posted on this already! It sounds great. I think you found that niche where you get guitars too have great presence without destroying the rest of the mix-allowing space for drums and vocals. I think this may have a lot to do with dual-mic technique. Do you agree?

I thought I posted on this already! It sounds great. I think you found that niche where you get guitars too have great presence without destroying the rest of the mix-allowing space for drums and vocals. I think this may have a lot to do with dual-mic technique. Do you agree?

thanks man!
yeah, might be that its the dual-mic technique. i think it has a lot to do with the diezel, as it can sound pretty ugly on its own...
in the mix, it totally shines trough but leaves enough
space for vox.

i tend to leave the guitars on eq'd , as i feel they "gel" a lot better
with the rest. i think most people on this forum mix metal without vocals,
leading them to overeq the guitars, making them really up front.

with vocals, the guitar sound is not the most important thing about a mix any more, i've had worse guitar sounds that worked so well in a full band mix with vocals!

i might post a mix with just the i 5 or just the e 906 if your interested, we'll see how it affects the mix.

wow, this is overwhelming ! ;-)

thank you guys.

i will post an update of the mix and a final mastered version - hope to get my new uad 2 fatso for that !

Cool shit. I like it. Does the band have a myspace or something?

Ich bin auch in Hamm. Wichernsweg :)

hammhammhamm , wichernsweg kenn ich garnich. bei der wichernschule?
;-) dann is das 2 minuten von hier zu fuss, hehe.

the band is called retain
http://www. myspace.com/retainmusic

check 'em out, there 2 more songs on there myspaec player, that
i produced with them. more to come!

This is a fucking amazing track and a SICK mix. Love the guitar sound, can hear the diezel a mile away, goddamn i have EPIC gas for a diezel

This is a fucking amazing track and a SICK mix. Love the guitar sound, can hear the diezel a mile away, goddamn i have EPIC gas for a diezel

thanks mate!

its the einstein - im still not as satisfied with the tone as i could be.

i really wanna try the diezel 4*12 with tone tubys or the bogner 2*12 with 16 OHM V30s. all in all its pretty cool tone, but i know, the diezel cabs sound way better than my orange ppc 212.

is the mastering ok? like loudness wise?

This is the shit. Great song, and I love the mix. There's a lot of little production things going on with the vocals that really keep it interesting.

For this song, I think a slightly less clicky kick would have been a bit better, but I'm only saying that because it's a personal preference thing :) Of course, that could also be due to the PC speakers I'm listening on too.

re: loudness, I found I had to turn my speaker volume up just like, 1 notch, when I played this vs what I had just been listening to on iTunes, but that's certainly not a bad thing. Or it could be that I just dug it so much I wanted to crank it louder here at the office LOL!

This is the shit. Great song, and I love the mix. There's a lot of little production things going on with the vocals that really keep it interesting.

thx mate !

i know the kick is very very clicky, sure its up to personal preference ;-)

i might go louder on this one, but i feel that - 10 db is enough.
i want this to be competitive, but i think it is cool this way,
its "loud enough", hopefully ;)

havent heard any complaints by the band yet.

I really like this..........really awesome mix, not quite the norm but it works great. It works really well for the punchy sections and also great for the slower, spacier sections. Goddamn that sound....that song........it's very close to exactly what i'd like to be doing myself, as a musician and as an engineer.

The only complaint i might have is that the guitars sound a bit overly thin when they aren't actually chugging away down low

edit: on more listens, i start to feel the song could have been better.....it's like it had potential but didn't quite make it. The mix stays just as awesome though (Y)

The kick is a tiny bit clicky, but I think it works. The mix has a hi-fi sound like a professional studio mix would sound. You're a great engineer. I agree with skesis268 that sometimes the guitars can sound thin.