Introducing two new IR packs, massive IR shootout, AND a surprise!

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
With a new cabinet at my disposal and dialed in, it is time to make new IRs! The cabinet is a Splawn Straight 4x12, and following my previous IR pack trends, they are named after mythical beasts that I feel match the attitude of the pack. They are called the Fenris and Cerberus packs, more details below.

I have decided to put together a shootout of massive proportions, to show a little bit of what my IRs can do. All of these clips are using the brand new TSE x50 v1.0, and NONE of them have any sort of EQ or compression on them whatsoever, just a HP at 80Hz, and a LP at 12k, but these are not affecting the tone, just trimming. These are all completely raw responses loaded using KeFir, the most transparent third-party IR loader I've used, which gives the most honest results, and I recommend its use when using IRs to get the full effect. All IRs are just the tonal center of each IR pack, being the center of what I call the "color spectrum" so there are other suitable and different tones on either side of this tonal center that still carry the overall attitude of the pack. What exactly this color spectrum is, and how to use it, is described in greater detail in a word document that will be sent to you upon purchase of a pack.

All packs are available in 44k1, 48k, 88k2, and 96k sample rates, Axe FX1 and Axe FX2 versions also, other sample rates available by request. Every pack comes with 48IRs except for the Fredman pack which comes with 42.

Splawn Cab impulses:

Fenris - A giant wolf in Norse mythology whose home was the frozen norwegian mountains, and often ventured to the cities and villages below to feed on human flesh. The name was chosen because the attitude of this pack is cold and violent. It reminds me greatly of Norwegian black metal and snow covered tree husks.

Cerberus - The Greek guardian of the underworld, and Hades' personal watchdog. With its three heads, it allowed dead spirits into the underworld, while allowing none to get out. It is said that each of its heads sees either the Past, Present, or Future. It fits these IRs because ironically, I find this pack to have a certain 'barking' quality when playing chords.

Mesa Cab impulses:

Minotaur - The mythical creature from the Greek pantheon with the head of a bull and the body of a man. The Minotaur resided in the center of Daedalus' labyrinth and would devour children from nearby cities which were given to him as offerings, that he would not terrorize their homes. This pack reminds me of raw uncontrolled power, and so it is named the Minotaur.

Griffin
- A creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. The attitude of this pack is very clean and present, and works well to cleanup an otherwise muddy sounding chain. Rather than power, I believe that this pack gives off a sense of elegance, so I named it the Griffin.

Fredman - Eh, not much to say really. It's Fredman, you should know what this is :) The unique thing about this pack is that it allows you to tweak the mic balance between the on-axis and off-axis mic, so you can mic Fredman the way you like to, completely ITB, without having to do any white noise, phase flip tests blah blah all that. It's all here and already figured out for you.

Anyway, enough of that fun for now. IRs and a mythology lesson... don't look at me funny, what?

NOW. Let's compare them against some well known IRs that are out there.

Catharsis s-preshigh:

GuitarHack Edge 1 inch Sneap:

RedWirez Mesa V30 SM57 1 Inch:

And finally, with the express permission of Shane of Kazrog LLC, the Mesa OS 57 IR from Recabinet 3.1:

What's the surprise? Well, starting now, every Premium IR pack that I make will cost only $20. I will continue to make new and different IR packs as I find new and different tones to share with you, so it makes sense to try and make these tones a little more approachable for the average person. That is all, and take care!

Thanks,
-Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great tones, obviously YMMV when you're using the same amp settings into a bunch of different IRs. The Oversize 57 IR from Recabinet 3.1 you chose here sounds like it could be a great blend-in, but is a bit thin by itself.

Looking forward to trying out your IRs in the forthcoming Recabinet 3.5 release. :cool:

Jake, I have edited my post. Even though I was trying to be constructive, I think I sounded a bit like a dick. :oops: That wasn't my intention.

Feel free to delete my quote in your reply or leave it there. Your choice.

Cheers. :kickass:

I liked the minotaur and the guitar hack one the best. Not sure which of those two I liked better.

Jake, I have edited my post. Even though I was trying to be constructive, I think I sounded a bit like a dick. That wasn't my intention.

Feel free to delete my quote in your reply or leave it there. Your choice.

Cheers.

:)

If anyone wants to hear what my IRs would sound like using YOUR preamp or amp sim, then PM me a distorted track with no IR on it and tell me what you want to hear it through. This is how I have done it for a while, and it's the best way. A shootout is nice too though.

Splawn ones sound great, nice a big.

So... how exactly do we buy said impulses? :p

Just send me a PM with what you want listed as well as any questions you may have, payment can be sent through Paypal, I will give you the address via PM.

Updated the clips with the new TSE x50 v1.0.2, and updated the information as for what you get when you buy a pack. Added a RedWirez IR to the shootout as well.

I'm a big Redwirez fan, but your Minotaur IR beats it here.

Hook me up! Do you take Pay Pal? I'll take all 3 mesa cabs. I'll need multiple sample rates along with Axe FX II. Does the $20.00 per cab include all the different sample rates?

I'm a big Redwirez fan, but your Minotaur IR beats it here.

Hook me up! Do you take Pay Pal? I'll take all 3 mesa cabs. I'll need multiple sample rates along with Axe FX II. Does the $20.00 per cab include all the different sample rates?

Thanks! The flat price includes all of the sample rates and formats, all are included in a single zip archive. Yes, I take payment only through paypal at this time, satisfaction guaranteed. You can shoot me a message on here or use the Contact link in my signature to send me an email and I will reply with the paypal address.

Take care!
Jake

Thanks! The flat price includes all of the sample rates and formats, all are included in a single zip archive. Yes, I take payment only through paypal at this time, satisfaction guaranteed. You can shoot me a message on here or use the Contact link in my signature to send me an email and I will reply with the paypal address.

Take care!
Jake

Sweet! Message sent.

Jake, Can you give me some more information on these packs.. Mics used, distances, etc. If you have already mentioned that somewhere, sorry I must have missed it...

Thanks
-Ken

Jake, Can you give me some more information on these packs.. Mics used, distances, etc. If you have already mentioned that somewhere, sorry I must have missed it...

Thanks
-Ken

Sure, I was going to keep it unknown for the sake of artistic freedom, but since you asked, I have no secrets. All of my IR packs are dual miked, and each pack contains a different miking combination with solo mics as well as preset blend levels. By doing it this way I hope to give people the quality and artistic freedom that one has when reamping, but the convenience of using IRs.

The Minotaur and Cerberus IR packs feature an SM57 and PR20. The PR20 is the "Alice in Chains" microphone, and is well liked in all of my tone shootouts featuring it. I find that the PR20 adds a distinct midrange character and a bit more of a vintage feel when blended. Although I use the word vintage, these packs are certainly very very metal, as seen by the popularity of my Minotaur IR pack, which is my best selling pack as of the moment.

The Griffin and Fenris packs feature an SM57 and i5. The i5 is a more modern sounding mic which I find does a great job at cleaning up a muddy chain or adding excitement to a dull tone. The SM57 and i5 combination is the same miking that was used on the Sylosis album "Edge of the Earth."

The Fredman pack features the two signature SM57s in the well known positioning of one on axis mic and one off axis mic. You can get some extreme tones from this pack at either ends of the spectrum, but the equal mic blends offers a very balanced and usable tone in this case.

Jake

Something for those of you who are tired of hearing that clip above, here is some original material. These are scratch recordings of a song I'm going to be putting out soon, guitars will be retracked and reamped later, but right now they are x50 into a Splawn IR.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Jan 2013 Mixtest.mp3

Thanks again everyone who has already purchased an IR pack, your support is greatly appreciated. I'm going to be rolling out a surprise very soon, just waiting for the right time, and I'll be making more IR packs too :)

EDIT: Let's have some fun with this, here's the same mixtest as above, but with a Mesa IR instead. Not as BM or Prog Rock sounding, but still sounds nice.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Jan 2013 Mixtest Mesa.mp3

Great news, I am going to be adding alternate versions of all of my IR packs to the list of things you get in each pack. If all of the IR packs listed above are "Modern" then the new generation of IR packs will be "Vintage" iterations of those same packs, included for the same price. Only difference is instead of that modern super open top end and modern mix clarity, the vintage packs will be the same in the lows and mids, but darker warmer highs.

Also, stay tuned because I am expecting a Cascade Fathead II to arrive in the next day or so, and I will be making IRs using it. So that's two more packs, one Mesa and one Splawn, and again will feature both Modern and Vintage colorations.

Speaking of which, do you have any idea of a release date for the update? Im looking forward to it :D

As am I.