High gain amp shootout \m/

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
High gain amp shootout \m/
Thanks to Lukas Jackowski on the Ultimate Stem Share FB group for the DI pack.
Chain is Little Labs Redeye 3D reamp box to TS808 to head to Marshall 30th Anniversary cab with Celestion Vintage 30s to SM57 and vintage MD421 U5 to Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt mic pres.
All levels matched on meters so any apparent level difference are due to the frequency balance of the amps.
Peavey 6505, Mesa Triple Rectifier, ENGL Fireball 60, EVH 5150 50wt, Marshall 8100, Mesa MK3 Blue Stripe.

Last edited:
All cool, but the 5150/6505 and the rectifier are my favorites. Those two amps have always worked for me and, apparently, still do.

• Mesa MK3 Blue Stripe slaughtered them all.
  • Mesa Triple Rec sounded like dog shit.
  • EVH 5150 sounded muffled.
  • 6505 sounded muffled, too.
  • ENGL Fireball was second best. Great amp.
  • Marshall 8100 had tight low-end, but too much fizz.

• Mesa MK3 Blue Stripe slaughtered them all.
  • Mesa Triple Rec sounded like dog shit.
  • EVH 5150 sounded muffled.
  • 6505 sounded muffled, too.
  • ENGL Fireball was second best. Great amp.
  • Marshall 8100 had tight low-end, but too much fizz.

Funny you say that, and it really demonstrates that it's all a question of personal taste! I think that "in general", they all sounded quite OK. Least favorite was the Marshall, and the other least favorite was the Mesa MK3 for me.

It would be difficult for me to say which was my favorite between the other 4s. I'd be very happy with any of those 4 tones on my album! :rofl:

Reactions: Delitzsch
Thanks for listening.
As already said, different tastes.
I have posted this in a fe places and at this stage every amp is somebody’s favourite.
Personally I think the 6505 wins, as usual.

Reactions: Delitzsch
I run an ultra-plus, it has more gain than I know what to do with , usually set gain at 3 1/2