What is the quietest high-gain amp?

My blackmore sounded like a jet engine even with my EMGs and good cables. Have yet to test it live with my e530, but I suspect similar results. I need to get me an ISP.

the recto' isnt that noisy for me.. i only only have the gain at about 12:30-45ish with a tiny boost from a ts. no noise gate. I barely have noise problems unless i am right next to the amp.

I'd echo that sentiment. I play throught a JVM for a gig we did where my Laney was out of action; the JVM was only "okay" ... and for the money, I expected to be raped by sound and be begging for more by the end of it.

Argh, so many people have mentioned a curiousness about the relative noisyness
between the 6505 and the JVM. How do I really compare, I was just stating my
recollection, I haven't done any actual measurements. I would say that I am
dissapointed with the high gain performance of the JVM because I cannot get a "distinct"
high gain sound from the JVM, it is always muddy.

Honestly sounds more like user error than a problem with the amp to me because Endgame certainly had anything BUT an okay and muddy tone.
In fact, it sounds rather clear, articulate, defined and is a very good tone.

It must be user error then but I dont know what I am doing wrong.
When I plug my guitar straight in to the high gain channel and play
power chords or palm mutes it dosent sound good like the 6505 does.
If it is possible to get a great chugging metal sound from the JVM
then I sure would love to know how.

It must be user error then but I dont know what I am doing wrong.
When I plug my guitar straight in to the high gain channel and play
power chords or palm mutes it dosent sound good like the 6505 does.
If it is possible to get a great chugging metal sound from the JVM
then I sure would love to know how.

It could be down to the JVM being a really unforgiving amp, probably one of the most unforgiving amps I've ever tried certainly. They seem to want nothing but players with top of the line clean as fuck chops playing through them. Even the slightest errors in technique show up and are magnified, a lot more than many of the more compressed amps out there.
Probably explains why Mustaine sounds good through it, the guy is a fucking rhythm guitar robotic precision machine.

The JVM is noisy yes, but its mid-pronounced sound does also cut through like few other... It is very much unforgiving and the guitar and pickups will make a hell of a difference too.

... And also keep in mind that Andy didn't use the highest gain mode on the JVM for the new Megadeth.

I'll add the Orange Dual Terror to the list of quiet high-gain amps. Even with the gain on the fat channel up full, it's still very quiet. Lot quieter than the other guitarists Marshall, and a lot quieter than my soon to be sold Laney.

I can't really be one of the proper Decimator whores yet. I only got mine a few days ago, but I am deeply in love with it already.

After i passed the honey moon period with mine, i realized, its so fuckin great that you can even fart and it'll cut some threshold.

One of the guitarists in my band uses an Engl Fireball and used to get huge amounts of noise even with the Boss NS-1. Then he started running his fx chain through the amp fx loop rather than directly through the frontend and the difference was pretty drastic.

Rocktron Vendetta. No joke. I forget I'm even on the beastly distortion channel sometimes (even with a boost).

I used to play in rock band with a guy that had one and he played pretty distorted yet it was really quite in between notes now that I think of it. He didn't use a noise gate either. It was a great deal if I recall because he got an endorsment from rocktron so the amp was super cheap.

Probably because the noise was coming from the power section of the amp, not the preamp section - same with my Laney.
What? The guitar/stompbox/cable/preamp (basicly everything before the poweramp section) is most of the time the cause of noise/buzz/hiss. If there is noise being created by the poweramp section it can't be fixed with a noisegate (in the FX loop).

The poweramp section only amplifies your signal. If your signal only has a little bit of noise (created by lights/tv's/microwave) it will be worse if its being amplified. Noise is not being created by the poweramp section, it only amplifies the noise.