JCM800 sounds from Marshall's high gain offerings?

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
The Marshall JCM800 might well be the most famous amp in the world of anything rock. So when Marshall started high gain channel switching amps, they often tried to incorporate that 800 sound into the modern amps as well. With varying degrees of success, I must admit. It seems to be close to impossible to get the same direct punch with a more complex channel switching head, but I gotta say I was quite surprised how close at least that JCM2000 DSL gets...and that with the option of having a killer sounding high gain channel on top...what an underrated amp. The 800 channel of the JVM sounds a bit more held back and less direct, but still does a decent job, especially considering the extreme versatility the JVM line offers.
But why not compare for yourself?

Reactions: ~BURNY~
Very surprised by the 2000, it's a touch brighter but is otherwise very similar. Considering how much cheaper you can get a 2000, that's a pretty interesting thought. The JVM has that characteristic but is a bit tighter and more compressed; for what it's worth I actually liked that tone the most out of the three, but considering the purpose of the video it's a bit moot. All three sound great.