Marshall and Mesa

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Marshalls product selection when compared to Mesa's ... Marshall just pale in comparison. All the Marshall amps look pretty much wank.

I raise this, because I find it slightly annoying that a Boogie MKV is over 2k GBP over here; jjeeeeezzzbbbuuzzzz!! :OMG:

That's a fat load of cash. The specs sure are impressive though. I looked at the Marshall stuff, because it is cheaper, and... meh. Nothing appeals to me.

Also... last night at our gig, I used a Marshall JVM that one of the other bands lent me. My Laney blew a tube and I didn't have time to replace it. The JVM tone was pretty decent, but:

1. On the OD2 channel, it was very noisy. Didn't affect the owner, because he had to use two gates! But I don't have a gate on my pedalboard, so when i wasn't playing it emanated this bloomin' loud hiss and suffered feedback very easily; even though my gain levels were pretty moderate (more of a heavy crunch in fact, than high-gain)

The hiss was louder than my Laney even, and that is saying something!

2. Switching channels - gap of silence between changing channels. This is the one that really irks me. They expect you to pay £900 odd on an amplifier, and they can't even get the switching of the channels right!!

Those are my two main beefs with the amp. Everything about the tone was pretty good; pisses all over the DSL and TSL, imo. But if you can't smoothly change channels, then it is useless - also imo.

Anyway... if I had 2 grand to just piss away, I'd certainly get a MKV. Seems like we get raped for American made amps over here; even Peaveys are more expensive.

How are the Marshall prices in the states, out of curiosity?

Hm, I'm looking at a JVM right now so this interesting. I don't mind the noise (either a gate or muting when not playing should fix that) but that silence gap...
Is there really total silence or is it more a 'delay' in the switching process? I mean you stepped on the pedal but the channel didn't change yet. I think the DSLs have that delay.

Total silence.

As far as I remember the DSL's don't have it. The TSL does when going from Clean to crunch, but not from crunch to lead.

If you're looking at the JVM, seriously consider: Laney VH100R, Orange Rockerverb 100. Sure, they're only two channel, but sound just as good and don't suffer from any delays. Rockerverb is quieter than the Laney though.

I haven't played a JVM in a few months now, but I really can't remember any REALLY significant (silent) gap between switching... At least not to the extent that it was even remotely bothersome to me.

As for the noise: Wasn't much more than with most other high-gain amps I've had experience with. Def. more noise than with my Krank but considerably less than my Engl Fireball.

A good buddy of mine plays his JVM in a prog-metal band and he switches channels several times throughout their songs but he never complained about gaps.

I'm not saying they're not there, just that they didn't bother me at all, to such an extent that I can't even remember them being there.

I think ITE the SOUND of the JVMs speaks for itself and that's (for me) the most important thing.

Scour eBay for an 800. Can't say any of the new Marshalls do much for me. and I had a dsl for ever

Gotta say, I really do dig JVM's - and price-wise Marshalls are pretty good here, though I'd imagine you're never gonna beat UK prices for those anyway!

Yeah I love the JVM's and the 800s no matter which model. Actually I love Marshall in general.....shit I love Mesa too. Hell, now I am having an inner dialogue with myself, but typing it out. You know I am gonna say what Jonas from Scar Symmetry said to me, "All amps rule. theres a use for everyone you just gotta find it." I am addicted to buying amp heads. I have been through a ton this year. The JVM, Roadster, and EVH 5150 III are the next on my list.

IME, Marshall prices are pretty even around the globe. At least in comparison to some other company... ;)

Probably going to order from the UK though, when I'm getting a new Marshall.

Total silence.

As far as I remember the DSL's don't have it. The TSL does when going from Clean to crunch, but not from crunch to lead.

If you're looking at the JVM, seriously consider: Laney VH100R, Orange Rockerverb 100. Sure, they're only two channel, but sound just as good and don't suffer from any delays. Rockerverb is quieter than the Laney though.
Hm, I just got an email from the guy who's selling the JVM and he claims that there is no Delay/Silence whatsoever when switching between channels...
Maybe there are differences between all the individual heads?
Scour eBay for an 800. Can't say any of the new Marshalls do much for me. and I had a dsl for ever
I do but whenever a seller had claimed that his head didn't have the channel bleed problem I didn't win the auction. :ill: Also these guys never seem to know the Serial number and/or build year of their amps... Sent you a PM about the 800 btw.

I used one just last night; there is indeed delay/silence. Whether it is enough to bother you.. that is the question. It bothers me enough to not want to buy one.

Maybe I should post a clip of me switching channels on my new toy. Pretty sure theres no gap of silence but its 4 am so I cant really check at the moment.

To be honest comparing Marshall's to Mesa's is a bit daft, very very different amps. Mesa prices are just silly over here though, and as has been said Peavey are pretty expensive too (£700 for a 6505) We basically get raped for any amp that isn't made in the UK because of shipping costs.

I have tried a JVM and while it sounded much better then my DSL it was nothing on the 800 I A/B'd it with.

I've used a Laney GH and I have to admit the sound was awesome for rock stuff, not enough gain for metal though (please note I am not a gain freak) I would really like to have a try of a VH100R though.

Oh well, I'm not that bothered about Marshall anyway, I'm getting a Windsor soon :D

I can't record it at the moment but there is definitely a small gap. Its probably something in the realm of an eighth second. I don't feel that it discourages me from the amp at all.

I can't record it at the moment but there is definitely a small gap. Its probably something in the realm of an eighth second. I don't feel that it discourages me from the amp at all.

Like I said... Whether it is enough to bother you.. that is the question. It bothers me enough to not want to buy one.