Marshall and Mesa

No, I was looking at one on eBay, hence my question for the street prize. Didn't get an answer here so I was bidding € 855,-. Didn't win the auction and thought I'd share since you were interested in the prize as well.

Well... plot thickens. From Marshall:

The JVM 410 does have an instantaneaous channel change so it could have been faulty, if you would like us to check it over for you then please contact the returns department

Well that's good news then. If one comes across a Head that has some Delay when switching it seems like it could be easily fixed by a tech.

Oh and drew: Thou shall never post again since you've just reached the magic number. ;)

Well... plot thickens. From Marshall:

That's bull. One of the music shops here is a Marshall dealer, they had the full range of JVMs when they first came out and every single one had the switching gap - when I heard the first one, I asked to try another, and when that did it too I made a point of trying them all.

I think they sound really good (I'm not a Marshall fan either), but the gap is bad enough that it rules them out for me - I'm the lone guitarist in my band, so having a gap when I switch channels (which I do a lot) would just be ridiculous.

I know a couple of people that bought them and when they play live it really stands out, even with two guitars, because it does go totally silent.

Steve

Interesting, I was almost getting paranoid about the (non-)existence of that gap.

If it's been faulty, that may also explain the noise issues.

That's bull. One of the music shops here is a Marshall dealer, they had the full range of JVMs when they first came out and every single one had the switching gap - when I heard the first one, I asked to try another, and when that did it too I made a point of trying them all.

I think they sound really good (I'm not a Marshall fan either), but the gap is bad enough that it rules them out for me - I'm the lone guitarist in my band, so having a gap when I switch channels (which I do a lot) would just be ridiculous.

I know a couple of people that bought them and when they play live it really stands out, even with two guitars, because it does go totally silent.

Steve
Yeah, but I don't see the problem if it can be fixed. :err:

Steve

Interesting. I can only tell you what they said; whether they were lying to me or not, I couldn't say.

Check this clip:

The dude switches through the OD modes rather than channels but you can hear a little gap.

But on the other hand, there's this dude and when he switches I hear absolutely nothing:

:loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, here we go guys, some dude (not the same I quoted above) just sent me this. it's been recorded with a JVM 205 Head.

Beware: There's just about every cliché-riff you can imagine in there. :loco: But it's about the sound anyway...

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1461588/Andy-Sneap-Forum/Marshall_JVM_205_H_Footswitch_Test

Marshall_JVM_205_H_Footswitch_Test.jpg

Imo you can clearly hear/see the gaps in here. Now we still don't know if all of them have that gap or if it's specific to certain models/builds.

Clip:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8134430

there's a gap of approx 30 ms on average when switching between channels and modes. So that's 3/100ths of a second. A lot shorter than the 1/8th of a second I had guessed. Here's a waveform:

Picture1.png
Sounds and looks pretty much like my clip above...

Although I wouldn't say, that every amp of a certain brand has the same problem. I played a JCM 900 that didn't have any Delay. Also the DC 5 I have currently at my place doesn't pop or drop out either. My Hughes & Kettner doesn't do any of that either (at least when it decides to switch channels at all :lol: ).

Marshalls drop out, Mesas pop! Channel switching properly seems difficult to implement...my ENGLs and other guitarist' Bogner seem to do it well though.

Orange amps seem to have their channel switching sorted too. These other companies... I think it's most likely to do with the amount of technology (read: crap) they put in the signal path.