High gain amp comparison

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Just how similar are modern high gain amps.
Pretty similar, I would say.
Here is Mesa Triple Rectifier then Peavey 6505 then EVH 5150 50wt.
All into Mesa Rectifier cab with 57 and 421 into API preamps to Apogee Ensemble thunderbolt.
See the full mix with EVH on my soundcloud page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol This is just another solid proof of how cab+mic make up the majority of the tone.
Really nice work nonetheless!

EVH and Peavey have a really similiar high mids thing going on, Mesa is a tad beefier. All would be cool depending on the context (vocals). And yeah, another proof it's wiser to invest in a good cab and acoustic treatment than blowing all your cash on amps. Great work!

As a follow on from my previous test with different heads into the same cab, here is a test with the same head (6505) into 2 different cabs with V30 speakers.
First is Mesa Rectifier oversize cab then second is Marshall 30th anniversary 4x12 cab with V30 speakers fitted by me.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 6505 slays, the 5150 is very close though!
as for the cab the marshall has a very weird sizzling hi end, the first one sounds absolutely amazing!

the 6505 slays, the 5150 is very close though!
as for the cab the marshall has a very weird sizzling hi end, the first one sounds absolutely amazing!

Thanks.
The Marshall is way brighter for sure.
If the Mesa isn't cutting through the mix, the Marshall will.
There is only a bit of low mid cut on the guitar bus. Same EQ for both cabs.
In a final mix, I would zone in on the mids and fine tune the EQ.
The Marshall may have a high mid spike, but the Mesa has a definite static resonance at about 2k that I usually cut in a mix.
Both have strengths and weaknesses.
I have completely gone off my Marshall Mode 4 cab and will probably put it up for sale very soon.

First off, thanks for this shootout. Super enlightening to really hear that the cabinet is the single biggest difference when your pulling high gain tones. I can definitely hear not so subtle differences in the distortion response but it really is small potatoes compared to the cab choice.

Second, you are amazing at recording and mixing high gain guitar tones. Consistently every time, awesome tone thats appropriate for the mix it lives in. I find it very inspiring, well done.

You really seem to be favoring the 57 421 combo. What is the blend between the mics like ratio wise? Do you eq the signals separately and then sum them into a mono buss or ? Like how do you treat them to achieve this result? Do you shoot to get the cut all from the 57 and more of the meat from the 421? Do you find yourself placing them where they might be a bit extreme on their own but work together well?

A couple other more general questions if you dont mind. Whats on your 2 Buss, and Mastering Chain? Do you set the amps tone stack slightly differently for the left and right side or do you Eq them a bit differently? This track seems pretty wide for being the same amp / cab setup.

I have completely gone off my Marshall Mode 4 cab and will probably put it up for sale very soon.

As noted in the past I have both models of this cab and love them, but I dont pull near these results micing them up. What is putting you off of it? I thought the tones you pulled from the 400 were pretty throaty and badass

First off, thanks for this shootout. Super enlightening to really hear that the cabinet is the single biggest difference when your pulling high gain tones. I can definitely hear not so subtle differences in the distortion response but it really is small potatoes compared to the cab choice.

Second, you are amazing at recording and mixing high gain guitar tones. Consistently every time, awesome tone thats appropriate for the mix it lives in. I find it very inspiring, well done.

You really seem to be favoring the 57 421 combo. What is the blend between the mics like ratio wise? Do you eq the signals separately and then sum them into a mono buss or ? Like how do you treat them to achieve this result? Do you shoot to get the cut all from the 57 and more of the meat from the 421? Do you find yourself placing them where they might be a bit extreme on their own but work together well?

A couple other more general questions if you dont mind. Whats on your 2 Buss, and Mastering Chain? Do you set the amps tone stack slightly differently for the left and right side or do you Eq them a bit differently? This track seems pretty wide for being the same amp / cab setup.

As noted in the past I have both models of this cab and love them, but I dont pull near these results micing them up. What is putting you off of it? I thought the tones you pulled from the 400 were pretty throaty and badass

Wow Thanks :)
For the different heads clip, it is 57 and 421. For the different cabs clip, it is a single 57 due to laziness of positioning the 2 mics :p
I never place the mics using a guitar. Always pink noise.
When using 2 mics I place them both where they capture the frequencies I want, either side of the dustcap of the cone, or sometimes, 2 different cones.
Once I am happy with how each mic sounds on their own, I invert phase of the 421 and adjust its distance from the speaker to get maximum phase which will be the lowest volume when phase inverted.
Once this is all done, I dial the amp into the mix with both mics the same volume.
I sum all the rhythm guitars to a stereo bus and EQ them all together and use multiband on the low end on the bus too to prevent centre shifting.
Balance between the mics is mix dependent so whatever sounds best. Most of the time 57 and 421 are equal volume.
I often use and 57 and m201 too.
If I want more width, I will use TS808 opposite MXR custom badass od or 6505 opposite 5153.
This track is identical everything for left/right.
Static resonances kill stereo width. If there is the same static sshhhh on left and right your brain will decode that as coming from the middle so kill them with notch EQ.
EQ used on the examples below. I took a screen shot in case anyone asked what settings were used.
test%20processing.png

To be honest, the Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt has been a revelation. The quality of the conversion and reamp outputs make it easy.
I set up logic with busses for drums, bass, guitars, vocals (and whatever else) going to separate outputs to my Allen and Heath console with Drawmer 1968me bus compressor (usually at 15ms attack, 100ms release).
No EQ on this master. I would normally sweep some cuts but my ears were not 100% after recording guitars. Just a couple of dB clipped with sonnox inflator into limiter with 3-4dB reduction.
I can get a v30 cab to sound the way I want it in no time but the MF400 is a lot of work. Maybe I'm just so used to recording V30s.
The MF400 also has very little excursion compared to my Mesa or V30 Marshall cab which makes it sound less lively, especially on muted stuff.

Thanks for the detailed response Michael, super appreciated.

Its kind of funny since Im a guitar player, but I personally think I can mix drums and bass awesome but when it comes to distorted guitars I still need alot of work. Nothing to do but keep working at it.

Wow mickrich thanks so much for your detailed responses this is killer. The bite of the 6505 seems most pleasing to me, and I'll agree with most people and say the 5150 III was very very close to that as well. Not so fond of the triple rec as usual.

Incredible to hear the difference in cabinets with the same speakers. The high end noise on the marshall is really apparent, wouldn't have ever guessed.

Now I have one question for you sir if I may! When using pink noise to place your mics, how do you listen to this? Do you do this real time or do you record certain position and then reference the monitors? I find it hard to do things like this without a control room. Sorry if my question is a little hard to follow.

In real time.
Keep the amp fairly low, put 57 in centre of cone and gain the mic pre.
Get down in front of the amp with hd25 cans on and sweep the mic.