Krank VS Mesa

Well all of them made after 1994/serial # 3000 are the same technically (there were no more revisions to the circuitry), so I'd say just look for the usual ebay things: good feedback and good price! Those both seem a bit expensive, but that's cuz they're in such great condition cosmetically (and the top one includes a footswitch and cover, which are both essential IMO) - still, the convenience of buy-it-now can't be overstated, though you could probably get a better deal (~$1100) if you searched around and played the bidding game on some others (but GOD do I hate doing that...)

Nice choice man! :headbang: I'm gonna post some clips comparing 6L6's and EL34's in mine, so that might help you out as well! ;)

Well all of them made after 1994/serial # 3000 are the same technically (there were no more revisions to the circuitry), so I'd say just look for the usual ebay things: good feedback and good price! Those both seem a bit expensive, but that's cuz they're in such great condition cosmetically (and the top one includes a footswitch and cover, which are both essential IMO) - still, the convenience of buy-it-now can't be overstated, though you could probably get a better deal (~$1100) if you searched around and played the bidding game on some others (but GOD do I hate doing that...)

Nice choice man! :headbang: I'm gonna post some clips comparing 6L6's and EL34's in mine, so that might help you out as well! ;)

Yeah, I'm gonna shoot for the top link. I'm waiting for a response to see if he'll let me pay after it closes because I'm waiting for my refund from GC and then the paypal transfer. +1 on the bidding game... I'm a buy it now guy as seller/buyer. Yeah man, a comparison of different tubes would be awesome. I'll look out for it :kickass:

Christian Olde Wolbers said he used a randall (assuming V2) for Manntis's new album (they posted one new song on their myspace). Don't know how much of that is true, because they always use Triple rec's live as far as I know.

If I told you that a Krank is almost identical to a Crate BV, would you still want one?

Yes.

Not quite sure how that would even matter.... they don't sound the same so even if they use the same layout, etc. the sound is what matters. I could honestly care less about what other amps are identical to it...shit, it could be identical to a fucking Marshall MicroStack for all I care...Point is, it doesn't sound like a Marshall MicroStack. And, honestly, if somebody didn't buy an amp because it was designed almost identical to another one and not because they didn't like how it sounded...they have no business buying an amp or playing guitar in the first place.

~006

my dual recto (dual channel) has this serial number R- 009491 it should be from 94 and it rocks, it's just smoother than a three channel recto!

Well even if yours is from '94 Mauri (which seems unlikely given the number), it's the still a Revision G like mine - all the 2-channel Rectos after serial # 3000 or so is a Revision G (introduced in '94 ;)) Here's my source. Not like it matters though, cuz I love mine, and TOTALLY agree on it being smoother than the 3-channels! (and this is smoother in a good way, cuz I find the 3-channels to be too harsh, but it's not too smooth like a 5150)

I haven't gotten a chance to try out the Dual Rec (which seems to be quite as versatile) but with my experience with the Rev 1 is that with the sweep knob it makes it easy to adapt to almost any kind of guitar, from the thin to the fatter sounding. Having the ability to adjust a little bit more than your standard amp EQ you can compensate if your guitar lacks something or if there is an abundance.

Not only with body types but also with Active and Passive pickups. There was a post made quite a while ago that had a picture of Amotts Krank setting which also baffled a lot of people into thinking it would sound waay to sharp/harsh. I boldly assumed they might have forgotten that Amott uses SD Passives which into a standard amp sounds quite bassy and boomy hence the high EQ adjustment and sweep setting for compensation. :)

There was a post made quite a while ago that had a picture of Amotts Krank setting which also baffled a lot of people into thinking it would sound waay to sharp/harsh. I boldly assumed they might have forgotten that Amott uses SD Passives which into a standard amp sounds quite bassy and boomy hence the high EQ adjustment and sweep setting for compensation. :)
That would explain why my ESP Eclipse (with 81's and 60's) sounded really high endy when I plugged it into my dual rec today, the difference is very noticable. The Schecter that I've been playing through has passive duncan design PU's.

yea, i have to drastically change the EQ/sweep settings on my krank when going between my jackson w/ duncan blackouts and the ESP w/ SD passives

Guitarist i'm in a band with has the V2 and loves it....although he curses the build: all the little slider buttons on the graphic have fell off LOL!

I think it would be interesting to try one out because I've never opportunity to try a higher end Randall out before. IDK I could be getting the wrong impression from clips/videos but they just seem very compressed and dark IMO. I was in love with Amott's tone until Rise of the Tyrant which I don't know if he used the Randall there or the mix just sucked cuz Sneap didn't do it. hehe Anyways he got a signature V2 and doesn't even use it. He uses one of the fully tubed Randall models... BUT I know it's all personal preference, so I'd have to give one a shot to further comment on what I think of them. Nice suggestion though. Thanks.
He did not use the V2 in there. As far as I know, that album is a mix between 5150 and Randall MTS (the tube ones) or ENGL Savage, I'm not completely sure.

The tone does sound Randall-ish to an extent, tho. Only it sounds like a poorly produced Randall. :loco:

I haven't really heard a recording from those Randalls that impressed me, to be honest, but live I've got to say the V2 is one of the best amps I've heard.

Yeah, it's not often you hear about Randall's being used for recording. Right now I'm learning more on the Mesa Dual Rec, so hopefully that gets the trick done for my taste with live/recording situations! :)

BTW I have a brand new and unused 7-string set of satin black Sperzel Tuners for sale if anyone is interested! (Need money for a new head)

Yeah, my impression of the V2 is that it punches like hell in a live environment cuz of its MosFET power amp, but in a studio situation sounds kinda compressed and undynamic (I remember Mauri made some clips awhile ago, though maybe it was a T2...)

Yeah it was my T2... well that clip sucked so badly because at randall made an amp with too much 3khz shit going on and really few top end sizzle, an amp needs a little bit of sizzle.
Now I've put a boss eq pedal in the loop and cut the 3khz mud and boosted some of the top end (6Khz) it's a pretty solid tone now ;)
The amp itself doesn't need a screamer, and yes it's like a hot rodded marshall