Krank VS Mesa

Hey guys, I can tell that the Mesa pretty much kicks ass for recording but how is it live?
Also, what's the difference between the Revolution and Krankenstein?

Any amp that rules for recording will rule for live as far as tone goes, and the footswitchable loop and "loop-active" master make it incredibly useful as well! AND, here's a little digicam recording of some random riffing (the cut in the middle is where I deleted about a minute of senseless wanking - I got a little carried away with my new toy :D). It sounds thin only cuz of the camera mic, believe me, and the bass was only at like 10:30 in this for the sake of neighbors. And watch until the end, trust me ;)

And the diamond plate is off cuz I'm planning on painting it black and sticking it back on there (you'll notice the double stick tape put up a bit of a fight on the top layer of plywood on the baffle hehehehehe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I can tell that the Mesa pretty much kicks ass for recording but how is it live?
Also, what's the difference between the Revolution and Krankenstein?

The mesa is a good amp. Period. :)

The Krankenstein+ is voiced a little darker (i think) than the Revolution+, and it has a 3rd Master (besides those two masters in the "krank/dime" channel), which of course means that you don't have to play it loud to get a loud sound.

:OMG: Damn, that sounded good minus the camera mic giving it that thin tone. Great playing as well! Did you have a signal boost? I think my favorite part of the tone was the french accent. Very clear. What kind of tubes do you have in there?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see your TS7 on the head! BTW I think the silver face plate would look kickass with that silver toltex cab instead of black IMO. Well, I guess I'd have to see it in person. Thanks for the demo. You should have left the wanking in there!

Thanks for the praise dude! Yeah, the TS7 makes a MASSIVE difference in tightening up that sucker, highly recommended! And yeah, you make a good point about the chrome diamond plate matching the cab, but the main thing is there's like 4 dudes in hardcore bands here at my school, and they ALL have Dual Recs, so I feel...obligated to set myself apart, especially cuz once my band starts playing shows we'll probably be sharing the stage with 'em (though at least their's are all 3-channels :heh: ) And I have all Shuguang 9th gen. 12AX7's in the preamp, and Ruby EL34's in the power amp, which give it that crunch that I love so very very much. :)

Mesa make some of the most consistent, quality and versatile amps available in the world. If you know your way around dialing a Recto or Mark IV, then you're sorted.

My impressions of Krank have not ever been favorable. Mostly subjective factors like tone, which I'm not going to bother you by ranting on about.

If you're interested in something a little different, give the Randall V2 a whirl. Was a more modern spin on the old Sepultura rhythm tone when I tried (basically think modern Marshall). Sounded like it'd really fit the bill for thrash.

If I told you that a Krank is almost identical to a Crate BV, would you still want one?

Eh, probably not... Please, explain more... lol

Mesa make some of the most consistent, quality and versatile amps available in the world. If you know your way around dialing a Recto or Mark IV, then you're sorted.

My impressions of Krank have not ever been favorable. Mostly subjective factors like tone, which I'm not going to bother you by ranting on about.

If you're interested in something a little different, give the Randall V2 a whirl. Was a more modern spin on the old Sepultura rhythm tone when I tried (basically think modern Marshall). Sounded like it'd really fit the bill for thrash.

For some reason the V2 clips I've heard always remind me of my old Marshall Mode 4 head which didn't last very long in my house.

Yeah, my impression of the V2 is that it punches like hell in a live environment cuz of its MosFET power amp, but in a studio situation sounds kinda compressed and undynamic (I remember Mauri made some clips awhile ago, though maybe it was a T2...)

I think it would be interesting to try one out because I've never opportunity to try a higher end Randall out before. IDK I could be getting the wrong impression from clips/videos but they just seem very compressed and dark IMO. I was in love with Amott's tone until Rise of the Tyrant which I don't know if he used the Randall there or the mix just sucked cuz Sneap didn't do it. hehe Anyways he got a signature V2 and doesn't even use it. He uses one of the fully tubed Randall models... BUT I know it's all personal preference, so I'd have to give one a shot to further comment on what I think of them. Nice suggestion though. Thanks.

Yeah, my impression of the V2 is that it punches like hell in a live environment cuz of its MosFET power amp, but in a studio situation sounds kinda compressed and undynamic (I remember Mauri made some clips awhile ago, though maybe it was a T2...)

Hmm whaddya think about trying one with impulse-based recording then? Takes out the hybrid factor (or... well... at least shifts the hybridness to the DAW).

To be honest when I heard it the SS power section didn't seem like it was really killing the life of the tone. I'd need to do a proper A/B to verify, but on its own grounds, with the Randall V30 cab, it sounded quite ace if you're after a really old-school vibed tone, but with some gain to spare. The graphic EQ on the mid is really great too. More amps need this!