~$1,200 budget, need new amp

Jan 10, 2005
So, dew it.

I've got these on the list right now:

5150/6505
5150II/6505+
Krank Rev.1 (used)

Have a Rev Jr. and Dual Recto. I need an amp mainly for live use. Something LOUD which all 3 of my choices are. I'm on the fence with the Rev1 or 5150. Or if there are any good options that I can't think of in that range please post them.

~006

Honestly dude, I've gone through this research myself, and you really can't be a 2-channel Dual Rec (mine should be arriving in the next couple of days! :heh: ) - isn't your current one a combo? Sell that and get a head - all the tone of a 5150 (and more IMO), with a useable clean channel and tons of awesome FX loop options!

If I were to get another Mesa it would be a Stiletto Deuce fo sho. Never getting rid of the Dual Recto combo! I only like it for recording, slaved into another head's power section, it has a slightly different sound than a regular DR head. Most have said just get a 6505+, which I'm not opposed to but I would like something with a master volume. Not *crucial* or anything, just preference. May just end up with the II/+.

The other guy in the band is using a Laney GH100 into a Marshall 4x12 with T75's so I need something that won't compete with the mids he's got going on. Ergo the Mesa would not be my first choice...

~006

5150II/6505+ don't have a master volume either duder, in case that's what you were implying. The Stiletto Duece would be HOT SHIT though, dayum...

Yeah I know they don't that's what I'm saying :( I prefer MV, but it's not a crucial thing for me to have. I may just look into the Deuce again, I forget what kind of prices they run for. However, this is for some grindcore shit so....

Quick check on eBay... wuuuut, even though it's a Trident that's a crazy deal. Found a Deuce currently at $202 with 6 days left, I may end up snagging it...but, again, I need teh br00tz. I think I will say for now the II/+ is the top choice until I can locate a Deuce locally and jam on it again. If it can pull off the heavier saturation then I'll get one :)

~006

If you're interested there's a used Krankenstein and a Marshall DSL JCM 2000 for 999.99 at the GC in Corpus Christi where I live. I almost got it but I still wanted the my 6505 replaced! Anywayz, it shouldn't be too far from ya if you're interested :)

Oh damn, I was actually curious where in TX you were, haha. Hmm, not really feelin' a Krankenstein TBH. Seriously though, if you see a Rev1, 5150/6505, 5150II/6505+ or even a Rev1+, let me know man!

@pouli: Not yet.

~006

Hmm, I dunno Mike, I heard a band around here using a Krankenstein through a freakin' Behringer 4x12 and it sounded amazing...much as I hate Dimebag's tone and fear that an amp with his name would be like a hideous buzzsaw, my impression of the 'stein is that it can do what the Rev can and then some.

I just feel, from the time I have spent personally with a Krankenstein and hearing clips around the net of just the 'stein being used through a multitude of cabs, that it can't get the same mids as a Rev1. The mids in the Rev1 are what I am loving about Krank. The Rev Jr. has it, and that little thing rocks. I'm a little like you, Marcus, where the mids are my thing, just love 'em if they sound a particular way, or at least that's the impression I get from your rants about hating Opeth's BWP tone :lol:

The 5150, as Jeff puts it, is an indispensable amp. IMO, that is 100% true. It can always be relied upon to deliver the goods no matter what the job calls for, sans maybe a need for pristine clean sounds. It may not be "perfect" for everything, but it will always sound good on tape, as well as live it cuts through really well. The Stiletto Deuce, so unfortunate :(, does not handle higher gain settings (such as the kind needed for grind, etc.) as well as a Recto, so that's out. As much as I'd love one... So far it's looking like a 5150/II or the 6505 equivalent, whatever is available come the time to make a decision. Unless I come across a good deal on a Rev1. Hell, something else that just popped into my mind...I could always build my own JCM800 2203. I owned a real 2203 at the old studio and that thing kicked ass, nobody ever used it because it said Marshall. Hmm....now there is an interesting idea, what do you guys think?

~006

Haha, well, to clarify Mike, I do indeed love my mids, but I don't feel BWP is lacking 'em - rather, it's the unpleasant "denseness" and yet lack of saturation of that tone that irks me (just to clarify which of my many rants that was about :lol: ) Now Nile, on the other hand :puke:

Building your own 2203 (or just buying one and modding it) would be cool, I suppose, but I dunno, it seems like one of those things that would just have costs arising left and right (like restoring an old car) - I'd rather just buy one and get it modded, or skip it altogether cuz that'd probably push you over $1200.

a local pawn shop here has a XXX for sale for $600 if you'd trust me to take your cash, pick it up, and ship to you

I'd go for a 6505, thats one amp that should be in everyones collection. Stuff like Krank's and ENGL's are cool, but are more for different flavours IMO, I'd get something that sounds good for more general usage. As you know, if you need the clean channel, go for the 6505+ (or a splitter pedal and pod or something) :).