Amp head & cab for studio (no money limit)

Proggm

Jun 24, 2008
Well, as the title goes, I’m looking for a new amp head and new cab for my studio. Money is not an issue (but, of course, I don’t want to throw it into the wrong can). What do you recommend me for mainly metal/hard rock recordings? I’ve thought about many options – from Hughes and Kettner to Randall and everything in between. Head and cab doesn’t need to be of the same brand.

Btw, I already own an old 5150 and a Dual Recto.

-Some stuff (principally heads) I had in mind:
Randall V2 Ninja (very interested in the graph eq)
VHT G100 Pitbull (only if it’s worth the price tag)
Soldano SLO100 (idem vht)
Hughes & Kettner MK2 (head some samples, rocks)
Engl Savage
Randall RM100 (loved the last AILD tone, the “mod” thing is cool too)
Krank Rev
Peavey 6505+ (old 5150 upgrading?)
Mesa Boogie Road King (dual recto upgrading?)

About the cab… there are so many choices. Mesas are the shit, but Randall and Krank cabs look promising too.

Thanks a lot guys!

The Mesa and Engl cabs are great, love my oversized Mesa 4x12. Both have a proven track record, however the Krank cabs are a quite a mixed bag when it comes to reviews, same with the Randall boxes. A Krank Rev will go great with the 5150 or Recto, it has a very raw sound that I want badly. A lot of people have gotten amazing results with Rev+5150. The Savage is coveted for it's overall versatility and great tone. Can't go wrong there. Pittbulls are great, I use to own one myself. Never got much use because 5150+Dual Recto combination got used every time, haha. The Soldano SLO100 I think you should not get, simply because it will be really similar to a 5150, almost like having two of the same amp.

Just my opinion.

~006

versatile amps for hardrock/metal with a good clean:

VHT pittbull (has got a nice raw marshally flavor to compliment the 5150/recto)
Bogner Exstacy (killer-head overall!)
Mesa Roadking (wouldn't go with that since you already own a recto)

Cab:
Mesa or Engl 4x12 with v30

Yeah get a Bogner Ecstasy and a Mesa Standard 4x12.

I really want to try one of those modular Randall heads though, the RM50 or RM100 would be killer if you had a ton of the modules. They are all designed by Bruce Egnater too so you know it's good shit. Look into even the Egnater MOD50 maybe? Same sort of concept, and I believe the modules are interchangeable with the Randall ones.

Buy an old single-channel Marshall JCM800. One of the best amps to record.
For cabinets I'm huge fan of ENGLs and Oranges.

I already own one of those (got it when I was a fan of Fear Factory and got crazy trying to get the Demanufacture guitar sound) :headbang:

Anyway... well, it seems that the ENGL XXL is the cab to go with.

And you want another head! Huh! :) Cool, dude!! :)
So go with ENGL Savage to have something with "European" tone, you could look for Diezel heads, but IMHO they don't sound good. Live the sounds strikes, but they do not record well. Check the www.myspace.com/rootwater their last album was recorded with Diezel Herbert and that's it typical sound. I don't like it, but you may :)

Ugghh, I REALLY did not like the Cobra the multiple times I played it; it was a couple of different models in different places through different cabs, and all the times I found it WAY too fizzy and just underwhelming (granted, this was with the notch switch off; with it on I thought it sounded like a Line 6 Spider, but maybe if I had tweaked with it on it would've been better). Still, there are so many other great amps out there...and Loren, I was perusing Craigslist, and actually saw a guy in Auburn selling a Madison. Maybe he's a friend of yours, but if not, thought I'd give you the FYI.

Thanks for the heads up! It's funny I know the kid selling the madison. Pretty large douchbag. :lol:

He swaps amps like 4 years olds swap candy. He sold me the bassman, he also has a bogner ubershall and a VHT. Not sure if I want it off of him or not after the shit that went down with the bassman ($300 repair :erk:).

I can't buy another amp for a couple of weeks so... the madison is out because Brian is always teching for some band. :lol:

He was in the middle of doing coheed and cambria the last time I saw him. He has also teched for Unearth. Actually when If Hope Dies existed Unearth and them were pretty close.

I guess we will see :D

Thanks for the feedback guys!

But I'm still kind of undecided with the amp head thing. Right now I'm between the Krank rev and Randall V2N. What do you think about Peavey 6505+? Is it... better than a 5150? I've got one of those, but it's pretty old and had some problems lately (nothing that I can't fix or can't be fixed, but maybe it's time to upgrade).

Thanks for the feedback guys!

But I'm still kind of undecided with the amp head thing. Right now I'm between the Krank rev and Randall V2N. What do you think about Peavey 6505+? Is it... better than a 5150? I've got one of those, but it's pretty old and had some problems lately (nothing that I can't fix or can't be fixed, but maybe it's time to upgrade).

the 5150 share the exact specs of the 6505. the 5150 just looks better. unless your going for the 6505+ for that designated eq clean channel. id go for the engl.

I'd go for something like the Savage or the SE. You want something tonally completely different to both the 5150 and Recto you already own, otherwise it's not worth the money. The Krank/6505+ will be similar to the 5150 , and the Road King again, similar to the Recto. Personally I've never really been a fan of Randall stuff, so I guess the only other option I'd suggest is the Pitbull.

Also I'd say get the oversized Mesa 4x12 instead of the ENGL, but that's just me.