Another amp comparison thread... Engl vs VHT

Meisterjäger

Douchebag
Oct 19, 2007
www.myspace.com
Looking around at getting a high-end amp these days. In the past, and in my head, it's always been between the Engl Invader, Engl Powerball, Mesa Dual Rec and Krank Revolution. After trying all of these amps out, and even having my bandmate buy an Invader, I've whittled it down to 3 amps and 2 companies, none of which I've tried yet.

Engl Savage 120
VHT Pitbull Fifty/CL
VHT SIG:X

The Savage 120 was brought to my attention about a year ago when I saw a band using one live. Can't remember who, can't remember when, but it left a lasting impression. As for VHT as a whole, I've never heard one. Not even one. So I'm interested in the similarly priced Pitbull Fifty/CL and the SIG:X. Fifty/CL looks nice and straight forward, and the SIG:X looks the complete opposite. I can work with both :loco:

I'm hoping some of you guys will have pros and cons for each amp, and I'm hoping someone has at least tried the SIG:X, as it was new this previous winter NAMM.

The comparison on paper isn't too easy, either. I like to push amps harder live, so the VHT's appeal to me as the Pitbull is 50 watt, and the SIG:X is switchable to 40 watt, whereas The Savage has a lot more power (Although a European dude on the board is selling a Savage 60... hmmm). That being said, I've never had a problem gigging with a 5150. The main factor I have at the moment is that I love the Engl sound and am clueless about VHTs...

It's gonna take me a few months to get round to trying all 3 amps (The Savage 120 is 2 hours South, the VHT's are 5 hours North :erk:), so any comments or anything would be cool. I'm hoping you can guess what kind of bands I'm into... basically loving every guitar sound that comes out of Andy's studio, however, my 2 newest favourite albums, guitar sound wise are Kataklysm - Prevail and Mercenary - Architect of Lies. Track 8 on Architect of lies, "Execution Style", would be a PERFECT sound for me to achieve.

Jim