Is the Savage 120 still the best Engl for Metal?

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
Everyone from here to Christpher from Darkane has told me the Savage 120 is the best Metal Amp Engl makes.

Im wondering if that is still the case?

I am wondering how the Invader 150/100 compares or if it is good at all things but not best at metal.

Out of all the sound samples I have heard from the Special Edition, PowerBall, Blackmore and Savage 120, I choose the Savage.

I am planning to make a purchase on one and am 99% certain that I will get the Savage 120 but am keeping my mind open for the possibility of the Invader.

Anyone had a chance to compare the two?

Victor Smolski, Rage guitarist, uses the Invader, now, used a Triple X and what not in the years before and I think also a Savage a few times, they recorded their last album with one, don't like the sound but he used like 0.09-0.42 or something like that for D-Tuning so that could be the reason.
Didn't Bulb own the Invader and posted some clips here?
A friend of mine owns one, have to try it out soon.

I own an Invader 100 and a Triple Rectifier, and I have owned a 6505, and the Invader is my favourite of them all.

I have played a lot of different amps in my lifetime, but the Invader is by far my favourite.

Yes, it is a very expensive amp, but for me, founding the tone I have had in my head for all this time, is worth it. It has the ideal metal tone for me, mean and agressive, yet clear and punchy. I personally have never heard a better high gain tone. This is totally subjective though!

I like the fact that the amp is very versatile without being a compromise. What I mean is, it's not like a lot of amps with an awesome high gain channel, then an OK clean and an OK crunch etc. This amp delivers it all. Very responsive, no annoying fizz, amazing low end, VERY versatile.. I am actually starting to piss myself off, because I am starting to sound like a salesman.. :lol:

I have never had the change to try a Savage out though, but like I said, for me there is no better amp than the Invader 100. And the best part is, that it is very easy to use and you can instantly get awesome tones out of the amp, without months of tweaking.

However, this is just my opinion, which is of course biased because I own one, but I do stand behind my words!

the invader is a little on the dry side for me. I like the fatter more saturated sound of the SE... makes for some awesome lead tones.... SE has awesome jazzy cleans too

I've never heard better recorded clips from any other ENGL amp than the Savage 120. From what I gather it's not a versatile beast, and bought mainly for the mean rhythm sounds. Amps like the Invader and SE try to do it all, but I've yet to hear either match the Savage in pure high gain ownage.

I did compare the Invader 100 to the Savage 120 in a store last year.
I could get better lead tones out of the Savage, but for rhythm the Invader owned the Savage IMO.

A buddy of mine owned the Savage for a while and had the same problem, got lovely lead tones but was never really happy with the rhythm sound. He sold the Savage and got an Invader, now he's happy.

But none of us did compare them in the studio under a mic, so... ;)

Amps like the Invader and SE try to do it all, but I've yet to hear either match the Savage in pure high gain ownage.

That's the cool thing about the Invader, it really can do it all! Yeah, the insane rhythm tone was the reason I bought my Invader, but the fact that it can do more than just that, doesen't take away the fact that it owns in metal rhythm.

You guys are making it tough on me ;)

Sounds like there really is some consideration.

The guy at Engl recommended the Invader 100.

I've just heard so many positives about the Savage 120.

But it sounds like some of you think the Invader does the Rythm Job better.

I would only have to pay $250 more to get the Invader 100 or $300 more for the Invader 150 in place of the Savage 120.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test the amps so I wouldn't know whether the Invader 100 sounds better than the Invader 150 or vice versa. I just know that out of all the amps, Enlg recommended the Invader 100 and the Pro XXL 4x12.

Anyone heard the 100 VS 150?

I would only have to pay $250 more to get the Invader 100 or $300 more for the Invader 150 in place of the Savage 120.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test the amps so I wouldn't know whether the Invader 100 sounds better than the Invader 150 or vice versa. I just know that out of all the amps, Enlg recommended the Invader 100 and the Pro XXL 4x12.

Well, I would go with the 100 just because on the 150, the bright mode only works on channels one and two, whereas on the 100 it works on every channel. It really is a handy tool when you need some more brightness to your tone.

I am willing to bet that you will not be dissapointed :)

Couple of things, the Invader 100 is the one to get instead of the 150, I've heard that there's more difference between them than just wattage. Also, if it makes any difference, the guys over at rocksolidamps reckon the Invader is the worst sounding ENGL at low volumes, so it might not be great for bedroom recording. Not sure what you plan on using it for though.

I was never very fond on the savage 120. I could never get the brutality out of it the powerball has.

Wow, now there's something I never thought I'd hear.

I was at a gig just before where a friend was playing an Invader. I don't know whether he didn't have it dialed right or what, but all I really heard was a mess. It wasn't a fair environment to assess the amp in, but from what I did hear, it wasn't anything notable.

From what I gather so far:

Savage 120: Best ENGL metal rhythm channel. I've consistently heard this thing pull up magnificently during recording. It's like a cross between 5150, recto, and with a bit of JMC800 thrown into the mix. Reminds me a bit of the Ion Dissonance tone. Average solo and clean channels.

Invader: Lots of versatility. All channels apparently sound good (I've yet to hear that for myself though).

SE: ENGL's attempt to roll all tonal possibilities into one amp. The most versatile. I heard a recording of one that was alright, but nothing to write home about, especially compared to the Savage.

Dimmu's "In Sorte Diaboli" was all SE slaved through a Savage power section, and that's the standard setting recorded Engl tone as far as I'm concerned...still, I'm sure the Savage could pull it off just as well.