Is the Savage 120 still the best Engl for Metal?

Couple of things, the Invader 100 is the one to get instead of the 150, I've heard that there's more difference between them than just wattage. Also, if it makes any difference, the guys over at rocksolidamps reckon the Invader is the worst sounding ENGL at low volumes, so it might not be great for bedroom recording. Not sure what you plan on using it for though.

Im definately aiming to use it for normal Studio Recording levels and might use it in my band.

I'm considering getting another Engl at another time since I will be getting a deal on them.

Was considering the Special Edition as my Second Purchase.

But first I am stuck between the Savage and Invader.

I was initially set on the Savage but now im really considering the Invader.

It is one of their newer products and you would think that they try to take the great elements of what they have done with the other amps and add improvements.

I still appreciate all the input.

More input? My buddy got the Invader 150 (because it was a demo model and cheaper than the 100) and is now looking at powersoaks... ;)
Two months ago I was over at their studio/rehearsal place and tried his 150 for one hour, and got some really great sounds out of it, as well as some real garbage. For example I couldn't really get a tone I liked out of channel 4, too nasally and just kind of odd. Liked channel 2 way better for leads, and channel 3 for me is THE rhythm channel to go to.
I've also heard the rumour about the 100 sounding better, and if I really get one in the future I know it'll be the 100... if only for the fact that it's two powertubes less to replace. ;)

FWIW, when I compared amps in the store I didn't spend much time on dialing in the Savage, and I know it takes some time dialing in with the two gain knobs and all... of course it is possible to get a great rhythm sound of it, we have heard enough proof. smy1 also posted some killer stuff I remember (the "Dawn Patrol" clip), and that was even using impulses.

One thing my buddy complained about his old Savage was that channel 4 was the only channel he liked for distortion, and that 2 and 3 were worthless to him. So he had problems live getting BOTH a great lead and rhythm tone, it was either one or the other... no problem when using it in the studio.

It is one of their newer products and you would think that they try to take the great elements of what they have done with the other amps and add improvements.

Not necessarily, as Marshall proved with the Mode Four. :lol:

Also you can never get all the great elements in one amp, if only for the powertube section... EL34 in the Invader, 6550 in the Savage.

Bottom line is, you probably won't be disappointed with any of the two, but only a side by side comparison could tell which YOU like better.

My last thought: If you want to get a SE as the second amp, which of the two (Invader or Savage) would be closer in tone to the SE? Try to cover as much ground as possible.

i thought the savage-SE & E670-SE were not the same amps
the savage & SE are voiced very differently to me

If you like crunchy tight rythm get a savage120 and a 808 tubescreamer. I have also tried the SE and PB and they are alot muddier, both of them....I don't like those at all. Never tried the invader but i'd take 6550 over EL34 any days.

Also, get the Standard engl cab, not the proffesional.....The V60 are more tight in the lows...

Also, get the Standard engl cab, not the proffesional.....The V60 are more tight in the lows...

Well, I don't think you'll find many people who agree with you on that one, blackcom, but I guess that's why it's always important to try everything out oneself before buying!