SM57 / Engl Savage 120

smy1

Apr 8, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
www.faderhead.com
After playing for 16 years and recording for 10 I just got my first SM57. Hehe. It's not that I didn't use any, but all the studios I recorded at *had* them of course, so no use buying one of my own.

So, the SM57 arrived today and this is what I recorded:

http://www.faderhead.com/blogs/mp3/sm57_engl_savage_test.mp3

Gibson Les Paul -> Engl Savage 120 -> Marshall 4x12 with Celestion 75W -> SM57 -> Envoice Mindprint (shitpreamp) -> M-Audio Delta 66 -> Cubase SX3

I was too lazy to edit all the clicks and handnoises out of the track. Overall I am pretty happy, I just think I need to tune down to something like G for more heaviness (this is Drop C).

What do you think?

sounds good.....maybe put some multiband comp or limter.

I've had good luck with slamming some L3 on guitars sometimes (even though a few plp do not prefer L1,2, or 3)

Also, an OD pedal might help tighten it up too.:kickass:

but still.....sounds good. a little processing, and I think you got usable tone there!:headbang:

ApolloSpeed said:
sounds good.....maybe put some multiband comp or limter.

I've had good luck with slamming some L3 on guitars sometimes (even though a few plp do not prefer L1,2, or 3)

Also, an OD pedal might help tighten it up too.:kickass:

but still.....sounds good. a little processing, and I think you got usable tone there!:headbang:

Why would I tighten it up? Does it sound boomy on your setup? That is probably the bass guitar sound :)

zmetallica said:
sounds good. I'm surprised you get that big sound with that equipment. and the impedance issues with the SM57...

It's the best gear I have at home, but I have worked with Neve/SSL/Apogee in studios - and I just keep trying to get the sound that is in my head from the stuff that I have at my disposal 24/7. This is still quite far away from my ideal sound tho. I guess I need to mix in different amps :)

Phill-AreA13 said:
Wow!! i have a Engl Savage and sound is excelent but this is BRUTAL!!!
Waht channel and settings did you use?
ThankS!

I used the Lead channel with these settings:

Gain: 7
Lead Boost: Off
Lead: 4
Contour: On
Bass: 5
Middle: 1
Treble: 6
Hi Balance: 5,5 (never figured out what this does, haha)
Rough: Off
Lead Volume: 10
Presence: 7
Depth Boost: On

Sounds very boomy, so I had to cut the lows up to 93hz in the mix later.

The guitar sounds really nice, but in the gaps after the palm mutes the low-end swells a bit - you said it was boomy, I guess it's just what's left of that. Maybe you could gate it to clean the gaps up a bit? The actual tone is great, I just don't like the over-run.

Steve