YT: ENGL Savage vs ENGL E570 preamp comparisson.

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
Had nothing better to do today so I recorded a videoclip with 2 seperate takes of a song. One with my Savage and one with my ENGL 570/MB 2:50 combination. They're panned different so if you have a balance button on your audiogear you can turn from side to side to determine which sounds best. It's available in High definition if you click the HQ button.

Recorded with a SM57 straight into a Carvin 4x12 Legacy cabinet.

Enjoy! :headbang:

EDIT: saw now that the HD-version is not available yet, it needs to go through some conversion first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool riffage!
Which are the Savage settings?

I figured someone would ask so here it is:
savagesettings.jpg

I think the Savage slays the 570 in this clip, sounds way thicker (although it would need a touch of low-end compression).
The 570 is pretty defined tho, so, for a recording, I would quadtrack the rhythm recording 2 tracks using the 570, 2 using the Savage and pan the 570 tracks wider (100% L/R) than the Savage (80% L/R).
For a dual track, Savage all the way, fits better for this riffing...

If you're wondering about the Crunch channel that misses a knob I can just tell you that I never use that channel. Lead 4 = :kickass:

I know I know...I have a Savage 60 and I use lead channel all the time.
Wich switches are on? I use all my switches on.
For the last reamp I did, I use these settings:
Gain 4
Lead 7
Bass 8
Mids 3
Treb 5
Hi-s 4
Pres 5

It's a very tight amp but many times it ends up in a lack of "body". But I'll try your settings

Awesome tone dude ! Badass song too !

On this video if i try to listen to one side compared to another they both sound killer, and i can't tell one is better than the other.

Though when i check your "ENGL Savage riffing" vs your "ENGL E570 riffing" i have a slight preference for the E570.

Seems like they blend very well together.

Really liking both sides, especially the Savage. I will say though, that the mix you did with Revalver+Recabinet was a little more balanced - of course the tone was symmetrical in that clip I think though? Still I would be hard-pressed in a blindfold test to say which is the digital sound and which is the miked cab - you get a very consistently awesome tone either way!!

Really liking both sides, especially the Savage. I will say though, that the mix you did with Revalver+Recabinet was a little more balanced - of course the tone was symmetrical in that clip I think though? Still I would be hard-pressed in a blindfold test to say which is the digital sound and which is the miked cab - you get a very consistently awesome tone either way!!

THanks man, I agree about the REAL mix of the song is more balanced, mostly due to this was two seperate takes with no cutting whatsoever so you can hear part that are off and out of tune.

But I can tell you this that I would choose revalver/recabinet combo anyday to move all my recording gear into the rehearsalspace every time I need to record. The differences are to small for that amount of effort that I need to put in.

Missed the "Left ch 570/MB2:50 - Right ch - ENGL Savage" in the beginning and I was hoping that the right channel was the savage, it felt most apparent at 3:04. With that being said - I love the Savage!

Men seriöst, när släpper du/ni skiva? Jag taggar på att köpa en! :headbang: