YT: THD Hotplate - ENGL Savage test.

Absolutly! A 2x12 will do fine for close up recordings, I promise you wont hear to much difference between a miced 4x12 or a miced 2x12. This particular recording is done at 75 dB from source which is almost at the edge of what I can blast away without bothering my neighbours.

I don't know about reamping though, what do I need to do that? An inversed DI box?

Nice, that's great to hear.

For reamping a DI in reverse doesn't really work. You need a dedicated reamp box like the LittleLabs Red Eye, Cunniberti Reamp or (cheap and nasty) Radial ProRMP. I was just curious really.. I can imagine you don't really need to use such an approach, but for me it's essential! I would love to get some of my stuff reamped by you!

Anyway, thanks.

Nice, that's great to hear.

For reamping a DI in reverse doesn't really work. You need a dedicated reamp box like the LittleLabs Red Eye, Cunniberti Reamp or (cheap and nasty) Radial ProRMP. I was just curious really.. I can imagine you don't really need to use such an approach, but for me it's essential! I would love to get some of my stuff reamped by you!

Anyway, thanks.

I rather learn the parts and rerecord them :lol: and be part of your record as guestapperance

So, any chance there will be a THD vs normal test...? Also, is there any chance there will be a Harley Benton vs whatever other cab you use test? :D

I see bright things in your future, bright things!

fortune.jpg

Well..maybe not bright...but brutal (I'd like those clips too).

...or 20 minutes

Don't make your buying decisions just yet though, this was just a fast recording switching between the -12 dB on hotplate against no load. All I changed was the master on the amp. The change isn't to apparent but standing in front of the amp you can totally hear it. And this is the raw deal so bring up all your curveEQs or MatchEQ :D

Here it is:

With hotplate: http://www.feared.se/crap/withhotplate.mp3
Without hotplate: http://www.feared.se/crap/withooothotplate.mp3

And dudes if anyone wants to know how to play sloppy I give away free lessons right here.

...or 20 minutes

Don't make your buying decisions just yet though, this was just a fast recording switching between the -12 dB on hotplate against no load. All I changed was the master on the amp. The change isn't to apparent but standing in front of the amp you can totally hear it. And this is the raw deal so bring up all your curveEQs or MatchEQ :D

Here it is:

With hotplate: http://www.feared.se/crap/withhotplate.mp3
Without hotplate: http://www.feared.se/crap/withooothotplate.mp3

And dudes if anyone wants to know how to play sloppy I give away free lessons right here.

We can hear your string picking on the "with hotplate" one :)

Wow, that came quicker than expected. Thanks!

FWIW the string picking is audible in both clips.

I don't know what to think... the hotplate clip is more scooped, seemingly tighter in some way, but lacking a lot of the 'open-ness' of the raw amp. The hotplate definitely seems to subdue the tone more... I'm not sure if that's such a good thing for seating the guitars in a mix.

Hmm, not really a fan of either of the tones, they both sound kinda plasticky and fizzy to me - that said, the one with the hotplate does sound slightly fuller and ballsier to me! And how did you manage to pick up your string noise; were you sitting right next to the cab like in the vid? :lol: Gotta get yourself a long speaker and mic cable and put the cab in a different room!

Hmm, not really a fan of either of the tones, they both sound kinda plasticky and fizzy to me - that said, the one with the hotplate does sound slightly fuller and ballsier to me! And how did you manage to pick up your string noise; were you sitting right next to the cab like in the vid? :lol: Gotta get yourself a long speaker and mic cable and put the cab in a different room!

Yeah haha, well I just put the mic infront of the cab really hasty, no tonesearching on these clips. This was just to mark the difference between using and not using hotplate. Yeah I'm probably recording around 80dB and sitting in front of the amp. That's why you hear the strings.

The hotplate sounds slightly more compressed in a good way. The signal seems steadier and fuller. Thanks for making the this test.

Yes, thank you for the test! I'm not sure which I like better yet...the raw one sounds more open to me, but the THD one delivers moar br00tz.