YT: THD Hotplate - ENGL Savage test.

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
Ok so I hooked everything up today to record the difference if using a THD hotplate and not using a THD hotplate and record at low volume(since I live in a apartment).

When I had everything done recorded and every cable and microphone put back in the closet I realised I only recorded the Hot plate version of the test. FUUUUCK!

So I have to do the other recording some other day. Anyway here is the Hotplate recorded version.

The hotplate was set on -8dB with no deep or bright switch whatsoever.
One feet from the speaker my iphone measured 75 dB so the volume is pretty low. For Savage settings check out the clip in HD and you'll see everything detailed in the beginning of the clip.

EDIT: It was recorded with a SM57 on the edge of the midcone.

Check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I always hesitate to judge really low-tuned stuff cuz it usually makes everything sound awesome, but that said, I can tell that this tone would still be fearsome even if it was in E-standard! :headbang: Now we just gotta get some comparison clips ;)

First to comment on the actual vid :heh:

+1 to the comparison...before and after vid would kill. I'm actually amazed how different this one is EQed from the other HB clip :OMG:

Man, your ENGL tones are slaying! Great stuff as always.

I myself might very well be picking up a Fireball in the very near future, I jammed on one as late as this afternoon. Took me like two seconds to dial in a sweet tone, but it's hard to judge an amp in a music store anyway.

Man, your ENGL tones are slaying! Great stuff as always.

I myself might very well be picking up a Fireball in the very near future, I jammed on one as late as this afternoon. Took me like two seconds to dial in a sweet tone, but it's hard to judge an amp in a music store anyway.

Yes, the Fireball is totally easy to dial in, as it pretty much only has one (very nice) sound anyways.

Be aware that the Fireball can have problems cutting through in a band mix if other amps are present.
My buddy had to use my old Fireball when he had his Blackmore in for repair (some fuckwit broke of a knob at a show), and it was slain by my Invader. The Blackmore cuts much better in comparison.

Therefore you might want to wait for the Fireball V2 which has a midboost. Even I as a happy Invader user am somehow interested to try that one out. :D

As for the soundclip, great sound! Fucking mean!

Oh shit, Am I the only one not able to find a great tone out of an Engl amp? :D It's fuckin' irritating

Nah, you're not alone. I can dial in my blackmore fine for live use...but I just can't seem to get a tone I like when using impulses :puke:

Yeah, definitelly....live it's very cool, but it's a pain in the ass with a mic in front of the cab. Anyway I think Savage 120 (6l6) and Savage 60 (el34) are very different.
But when Lasse posted some samples of his Savage60 with an Engl 4x12 it sounded awesome so...probably is my fault, or my 2x12 cab :)

Dude, deadly! Now I am gassing for one!

I saw the setting on your Savage in the video....few questions:

are you running both the deep switch on the THD and the amp?

How do you like the Engl midi switcher? Is it reliable? What else are you controlling with it?

What software are you using for drums on your clips? Real or fake, they sound great!

Yeah, definitelly....live it's very cool, but it's a pain in the ass with a mic in front of the cab. Anyway I think Savage 120 (6l6) and Savage 60 (el34) are very different.
But when Lasse posted some samples of his Savage60 with an Engl 4x12 it sounded awesome so...probably is my fault, or my 2x12 cab :)

Actually, the Savage 120 is two KT88's/6550's, which are apparently some seriously deep sounding t00bz...

Sup?:)

Sweet sound,,,and the settings are not that far off from my own on my savage. is your contour switch in or out on the Engl? I have been debating on getting an attenuator,,,,this is not helping my GAS for one :) Do you find that it changes the core tone at all?

MOSHON
DAVE

Hey man,

I'm listening on unfamiliar monitors at the moment, but it sounds like a damned sweet tone for an attenuated Savage through a 2x12. Really impressive!

Would you recommend a 2x12 for day-to-day professional recording work? Also, does the Hotplate get the amp to a level you'd feel confident blasting all day in proximity of neighbours etc.?

Also, would you by chance be up for doing some trial reamping?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

First to comment on the actual vid :heh:

+1 to the comparison...before and after vid would kill. I'm actually amazed how different this one is EQed from the other HB clip

Yeah, since I can push the amp more now I'm using more normal settings.

Dude, deadly! Now I am gassing for one!
I saw the setting on your Savage in the video....few questions:
are you running both the deep switch on the THD and the amp?

How do you like the Engl midi switcher? Is it reliable? What else are you controlling with it?

What software are you using for drums on your clips? Real or fake, they sound great!

Thanks bro, The engl switcher works fine, the only thing I hate is that it isn't built into the amp itself, I have to carry around an external box just to be able to use the midi of the amp. In the newer amps they're are built in though. I'm also controlling my effect unit, at this point a podxt.

Dfh Superior for drums. 100% fake :lol:

Sup?:)
Sweet sound,,,and the settings are not that far off from my own on my savage. is your contour switch in or out on the Engl? I have been debating on getting an attenuator,,,,this is not helping my GAS for one :) Do you find that it changes the core tone at all?
MOSHON
DAVE

Countour is off I think. I'm using the setting that cuts the mids
The hotplate doesn't really damage the tone, maybe adds a bit of compression if you're using the hardcore settings like -16dB. Other than that I'm perfectly happy with it.

Hey man,
Would you recommend a 2x12 for day-to-day professional recording work? Also, does the Hotplate get the amp to a level you'd feel confident blasting all day in proximity of neighbours etc.?

Also, would you by chance be up for doing some trial reamping?
Absolutly! A 2x12 will do fine for close up recordings, I promise you wont hear to much difference between a miced 4x12 or a miced 2x12. This particular recording is done at 75 dB from source which is almost at the edge of what I can blast away without bothering my neighbours.

I don't know about reamping though, what do I need to do that? An inversed DI box?

Ola, which tubes has your savage?
There are 6550 tubes in my savage. They sound just as good as the kt88 and are much more reliable and resistant to shocks. That's what my amptech told me at least.

I always thought that with the Savage 120 there is no big difference in sound regarding the master volume (after raising it to 3/10 or so), so I'm really curious about the comparison!