The beast is back ...

smy1

Apr 8, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
www.faderhead.com
After 10 years (I bought it in 1996) of having it in the rehearsal room and on stages, I retired the amp and finally brought it over to my house. I'll be playing live with my POD XT (much more convenient in a band that is not guitar-driven) and will be using my Savage 120 for recording purposes.

Now I only have to get myself an SM57 ... haha! :)

engl_savage_120.jpg

Oh, the cab is my trusty old Marshall 6960A 30th Anniversary cabinet. It is equipped with Celestion G12T-75 speakers. I would really like to hear the difference to V30s sometime ...

RAD.

I'm officially awarding you the award for best gear reversal.. =)

ENGL beast at home..... for practice and recording.

POD for live shows. =)

yeah, a lot of people on the jackson forum seem to like using the pod for live shit as well, it's all flexibility, i'd still rather have tubes, but there you go.

cobhc said:
yeah, a lot of people on the jackson forum seem to like using the pod for live shit as well, it's all flexibility, i'd still rather have tubes, but there you go.

The ENGL is much more fun to play than the POD, but my band plays electro/ebm/industrial with very few guitars at all. And the guitars are usually not totally upfront, so it basically ends up a convenience issue till we get a constant roadcrew ... :)

Also: the guitar tone on my recordings will last forever, the guitar tone live only lasts till the note ends ... so I'd rather have the good thing at home for ze metal, ja!

smy1 said:
What's your live-setup like? Do you split the guitar signal?

Well, the 5150 is bad for a clean tone (just like every amp ive ever played) so i use all cleans straight to the power tubes of it directly powered by the Boss gt6. Then when i need bastardising crunch, as the gt6 is set up through the effects loop, it allows me to use the 5150 distortion as no pedals or boxes ive ever experienced come close to tube distortion etc live. Im going through setting up lead tones at the moment, and im actually finding the gt6 to provide a great lead tone without using 5150 distortion (the power tubes really enhance the gt6's sound). This week tho im going to try a blend of 5150 distortion channel with reverbs, chorus's and delays to see if it can be made better still :)