Cheap guitar sound

fistula

Producer/Mixing Engineer
Jul 18, 2006
hi guys

i just dont have 1500$ for krank or 5150 or marshall heads
and i dont think that pod xt is my solution

so i think how to improve my guitar sound
all i have is Randall DX30D (w/ Celestion), ESP Viper Baritone (w/ EMG 81/85), Shure SM57 and 400$ (i mean all guitar stuff that i have)

my idea was to by some tube overdrive for boosting - but dont know will it adds anything to guitar sound

if someone could give any advices - your welcome:rolleyes:

dude, just save a little more and get either a used 5150 combo ($400-600) or get the head($550-750)

that shouldn't break ya too much:heh:

btw..... I've heard quite a few good Pod XT clips on this board. Don't rule that out so fast either.:kickass:

ApolloSpeed said:
dude, just save a little more and get either a used 5150 combo ($400-600) or get the head($550-750)
?????:OMG:
head for 550$?
it would be great... i'll try this - thanks a lot

I bought a 5150 combo about 4 years ago for $600....I'm sure it's cheaper now.

And I bought a 5150 block letter w/ new tubes for $650 last year.

And I bought a 6505+ Voodoo Deluxe modded head about 6 months ago for $950

You can find deals, you just gotta be patient and wait for 'em to pop up.:Smokin:

...and I've seen some POD XT Pros go for $300-400 now and then.

you know - theres just some problems with delievering (i live in russia)

1st problem with paypal (russia not supported) the second - deliver (will be up to 60%)

i'd say save some cash for a 5150 combo...the head and a cab would be better IMO, but the combo sounds really good in it's own right

fistula said:
you know - theres just some problems with delievering (i live in russia)

1st problem with paypal (russia not supported) the second - deliver (will be up to 60%)

1st choice would be an ENGL from Germany. 2nd is a 5150 from USA. The sellers who send worlwide usualy get a better price because there are guys like me (from Bucharest, Romania) who want one too :saint: So it will go around 650-700$ instead of 550-650$ the most common price. Shipping to Bucharest from the est coast is around 200$ and insurance for 700$ is 10$. Don't know the customs tax from USA to Russia...:heh:

Paypal is not allways a problem. I have bought a lot of pedals and a really nice Schecter C1 Classic and payd by Western Union (or MoneyGram if the seller is ok with that). WU tax is around 50$ for 700$ sent. And if you are not carefull enough in choosing the right seller you could end up without the money and the stuff. You can get your money back thou, but it's a pain in the ass. You have to officially press charges against him and there's a lot of paperwork :yuk: :yuk:

ok man ill try with western union
i think it could be an credit card...

i think that engl from germany is better solution - because of deliever hehe
germany is quite near from here

Fist.....Thomann in Germany are ok to deal with and tend to be cheaper than anywhere in Europe (online) for new stuff and their shipping is cheaper than anywhere else. Not sure if they have what you want for what you want to pay, but they maybe be useful for future reference.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them in recent months and the only problems I've had are with items that were listed as not in stock but available to be put on order. I've learnt that if they haven't got it in stock, not to bother as their order times are understated quite dramatically. However if the have it, I get it within 2-3 days of the order.

I wonder if some pro can assemble a 5150 for you. There are lots of schematics for it :rolleyes: but it would still cost at least 400$ I guess...and it won't look very cool ;)

fistula said:
i think that engl from germany is better solution - because of deliever hehe
germany is quite near from here
Have a look on their prices...it's not cheap, the cheapest a engl amp can go is 800 euro, and it's the screamer head, you'd need a cabinet for any head, so more money...
You could have a look on the peavey valveking series...never tried one, but they fit your price range.