Engl Blackmore clip: Carcass - This Mortal Coil

Funky Animal said:
Sounds sweet man! Great stuff..
What settings are you using there?
Or in general? Got any newer clips of it?

Thanks dude. I made that clip last summer, but I think the settings were something like...

Gain - 7.5
Bass - 7
Mid - 4
Treble - 5
Presence - 2
Lead Volume - 10
Master Volume - 1
Contour Switch out

I don't have any more recent clips of it because I sold the amp. :(

Mark_Palangio said:
Thanks dude. I made that clip last summer, but I think the settings were something like...

Gain - 7.5
Bass - 7
Mid - 4
Treble - 5
Presence - 2
Lead Volume - 10
Master Volume - 1
Contour Switch out

I don't have any more recent clips of it because I sold the amp. :(

Nice, sounds really sweet, sort of what we're looking for for our band (tone wise)....
I guess with Gain you mean the Lead

I'm not the guitar player so I gotta just write alll this down, tho..i've got the amp standing next to me :)?

ain't no wonder that loved the blackmore so much. it surely is a great low volume amp. i'm curious if you ever turned it up past like 10:00 on the master? frankly, i doubt it, cause if you did you would have noticed the incredibly shitty high volume sound any engl amp has.
it's a 100w all tube bedroom amp, really....

Funky Animal said:
Nice, sounds really sweet, sort of what we're looking for for our band (tone wise)....
I guess with Gain you mean the Lead

I'm not the guitar player so I gotta just write alll this down, tho..i've got the amp standing next to me :)?

Yeah, I meant Lead when I typed Gain. You will need to turn the master volume up if you're playing with a drummer though, so the EQ settings might need to be slightly changed.

Fragle said:
ain't no wonder that loved the blackmore so much. it surely is a great low volume amp. i'm curious if you ever turned it up past like 10:00 on the master? frankly, i doubt it, cause if you did you would have noticed the incredibly shitty high volume sound any engl amp has.
it's a 100w all tube bedroom amp, really....

I've had the volume up to about 5 or 6 on the master volume, with the lead volume at 10. I didn't think it sounded shitty at all.

SickBoy said:
No kidding? Our resident Engl freak sold his Engl... :lol:
What do you have now or shall I rephrase it - what Engl do you have now? :D

Haha, well I only sold the Blackmore because I just had to pick up a Custom Caparison I saw on Ebay. Right now I have 2 Caparisons, a Fender Strat, a 5150, a Madison Divinity, a Bogner cab, and a Marshall cab. I will get another Blackmore someday, maybe even a Savage 120. I had a Powerball a few months ago, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Blackmore.

Mark_Palangio said:
Haha, well I only sold the Blackmore because I just had to pick up a Custom Caparison I saw on Ebay.

Well, lucky for you that you live somewhere where you can actually sell such stuff in reasonable time... ;)

Right now I have 2 Caparisons, a Fender Strat, a 5150, a Madison Divinity, a Bogner cab, and a Marshall cab.

Wow, nice collection!

I will get another Blackmore someday, maybe even a Savage 120. I had a Powerball a few months ago, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Blackmore.

That's an interesting thing to hear, since Blackmore is a less expensive head... Anyways, do it asap or you'll be cast out of the Church-of-ENGL! :saint:

well i just figured you're a bedroom only player because like every clip you posted so far had the amp volume way down.

anyways, i stand by my opinion, the engl is an OUTSTANDING low volume amp - the blackmore i had friggin NAILED the iced earth alive in athens tone, which alone almost justified keeping it - but sounds like crap at high volumes. i noticed that you gotta run the gain quite high to get any thickness whatsoever when playing loud, and i'm just not a gain whore. i used to use it with the contour engaged (=boosted mids), the mids around noon to 3:00, the presence off, treble around 10:00, bass almost cranked, gain slightly before noon, and it was really thin (scooped) and bright even with these settings. a pity, i really loved that amp for bedroom use