5150 Clip: How close am I to Arch Enemy's tone?

KeithRT99 said:
i listened to both
i think the second one is alittle too scooped, but they both sound pretty close.

Thanks man. I used an OD808 to boost the lead channel in the new clip, and used settings close to Andy's. The mids were on 2.

Mark_Palangio said:
Thanks man. I used an OD808 to boost the lead channel in the new clip, and used settings close to Andy's. The mids were on 2.

Don't be afraid to crank your mids....Like others said it still sounds to scooped...

How close are you to sounding like Arch Enemy?

*Amott <-----------------------------------------------------------> you

*Legend:
Each "-" represents 5,000 miles.

Hey Palangio... When you go through your C.C. Deville phase, are you going to buy a hot pink BC Rich and a Crate full stack? AOLOL.

EtherForBreakfast said:

*Legend:

Hey Palangio... When you go through your C.C. Deville phase, are you going to buy a hot pink BC Rich and a Crate full stack? AOLOL.

Uh, alright. I know Amott is way better than I ever will be, you don't need to be an asshole about it. I never said I was a great guitar player, I'm just looking for opinions on how to improve my recordings.

EtherForBreakfast said:

*Legend:

Damn I don't know what's up with you two but keep it up! Ether, you're fucking hysterical LOL

Mark_Palangio said:
Uh, alright. I know Amott is way better than I ever will be, you don't need to be an asshole about it. I never said I was a great guitar player, I'm just looking for opinions on how to improve my recordings.

Oh relax, Nancy Dru... Just having some fun.

I'm digging the new tone better, but yeah, it is a bit scooped... Might want to try upping those or adjusting the mic placement - where was it this time?

It's sounding way smoother - loving that top end!

DSS3 said:
I'm digging the new tone better, but yeah, it is a bit scooped... Might want to try upping those or adjusting the mic placement - where was it this time?

It's sounding way smoother - loving that top end!

I had the mic where you suggested. I agree it sounds better there, just have to mess with it some more.

Good tone - but you have one note wrong in the top harmony. The second to last note should be the same as the last note of the phrase. It's very distinctive on the record, it really has to be played that way to feel right. One of their best riffs for sure.

Kazrog said:
Good tone - but you have one note wrong in the top harmony. The second to last note should be the same as the last note of the phrase. It's very distinctive on the record, it really has to be played that way to feel right. One of their best riffs for sure.

Yeah, I know that's how they play it, I recorded it like that at first and I just didn't think it sounded right. :loco:

Mark_Palangio said:
Yeah, I know that's how they play it, I recorded it like that at first and I just didn't think it sounded right. :loco:

Technically Arch Enemy is right, because the low part is going from the minor 7th of the scale to the major seventh. That means that if you're harmonizing in strict 3rds above in the melodic minor scale, you should play the major 2nd on the top note both times. By going up to the minor third, you are creating a 4th suspension off the major 7th of the scale, which sounds wrong to me, especially in context, since the suspension is never resolved. o_O

Kazrog said:
Technically Arch Enemy is right, because the low part is going from the minor 7th of the scale to the major seventh. That means that if you're harmonizing in strict 3rds above in the melodic minor scale, you should play the major 2nd on the top note both times. By going up to the minor third, you are creating a 4th suspension off the major 7th of the scale, which sounds wrong to me, especially in context, since the suspension is never resolved. o_O

Haha! Man, I know very litle about theory, I just went by what I thought sounded better. That is a crazy explanation though!