5150 Clip: Opeth - The Amen Corner

Mark_Palangio

On The Fields Of Life
Jul 12, 2005
Greensburg, PA
I was going for something similar to their tone on My Arms, Your Hearse. Nothing super heavy, since they don't use too much gain. Even if I'm not close, what do you guys think of the tone?

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=21820

Guitar was a Fender Iron Maiden Strat with a Duncan JB Jr. in the bridge. Cab was a Bogner 412 with V30's. I also used an OD808 to boost the 5150.

Sounds good, although for the hammer-on/pull-off part of the main theme riff, the tone they have on the album is much more defined and so that part is more clear, with yours it's a little muffled or just blended in so it's not as defined.

Like I said though, you have a good tone there regardless of that one little thing. :)

~e.a

elephant-audio said:
Sounds good, although for the hammer-on/pull-off part of the main theme riff, the tone they have on the album is much more defined and so that part is more clear, with yours it's a little muffled or just blended in so it's not as defined.

Like I said though, you have a good tone there regardless of that one little thing. :)

~e.a

Thanks man! I know I'm not going to nail any studio tones just messing around at home, but it's fun to try! :)

Going with the little experience I have, I'd guess that hitting the strings harder with less gain would help a bit; the tone just sounds a little saturated and (possibly because the synchronization with the drums helps a lot) there's a bit less 'punch' - I don't think you need a studio for that, based on other clips.

Jeff

JBroll said:
Going with the little experience I have, I'd guess that hitting the strings harder with less gain would help a bit; the tone just sounds a little saturated and (possibly because the synchronization with the drums helps a lot) there's a bit less 'punch' - I don't think you need a studio for that, based on other clips.

Jeff

I only had the gain on 3 using the normal gain input. I don't pick super hard though, you're right.

I didn't always pay attention to picking strength, but when I listen to the thrash metal records and watch the bootlegs I've found here and there, that's the vast majority of the distinctive thrash sound - sure, they'll typically scoop to one degree or another (exceptions being Mustaine and Slayer) but the reason it sounded so... murderous was the way they were playing. I found this also to a great degree with Opeth - just watching Lamentations and being at a concert on their latest tour, the difference in *character* between the strummed intro to The Drapery Falls and Deliverance goes beyond gain and EQ right into picking dynamics.

Listening again, during the part where you hit five chugs and then those three acoustic/clean notes, it sounds like you're playing five low E chords... and I'm 99.9% certain it's two low Es and then three Bbs (at the sixth fret, the tritone). Any seconds?

Jeff

JBroll said:
I didn't always pay attention to picking strength, but when I listen to the thrash metal records and watch the bootlegs I've found here and there, that's the vast majority of the distinctive thrash sound - sure, they'll typically scoop to one degree or another (exceptions being Mustaine and Slayer) but the reason it sounded so... murderous was the way they were playing. I found this also to a great degree with Opeth - just watching Lamentations and being at a concert on their latest tour, the difference in *character* between the strummed intro to The Drapery Falls and Deliverance goes beyond gain and EQ right into picking dynamics.

Listening again, during the part where you hit five chugs and then those three acoustic/clean notes, it sounds like you're playing five low E chords... and I'm 99.9% certain it's two low Es and then three Bbs (at the sixth fret, the tritone). Any seconds?

Jeff

I was just going off of the Power Tab file I had, it could be wrong though.