The "Official" Nevermore Gear Thread

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
People are always asking what gear Jeff Loomis used on all the albums, but it wasn't until recently that we finally got the info form guys like Neil and Andy. Here's a summary of all the info collected, and everything is 100% accurate so far. If you have anything to add, please chime in here:

Nevermore (Self Titled):

Solid State Head Unit (Exact Model Unknown - Owned by Jeff at the Time)
Solid State Preamp w/Peavey Power Amp
Unknown 4X12 Cab with Celestion Speakers (Exact Model Unkown)

This album was composed of two demos recorded sepeartely on the different rigs mentioned above.

In Memory EP:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV Head Unit
Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab (w/Celestion G12T-75 Speakers)

This EP was recorded during the same sessions as the "Politics of Ecstacy" album using the same rig. It was released 3 months prior to "Politics."

Politics of Ecstacy:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV Head Unit
Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab (w/Celestion G12T-75 Speakers)

Dreaming Neon Black:

Mesa Boogie Triaxis Preamp
Mesa Boogie 2:90 Simul-Class Power Amp
Mesa Recto 4X12 Cab (Armor Plated Model w/Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers)

On all the albums with Neil Kernon, there were 4 tracks of rhythm recorded, and primarily a Shure SM-57 or Sennheiser 421 was used.

DEAD HEART IN A DEAD WORLD:

Custom Built 7 String Guitar loaded with EMG 707 pickups. The guitars were routed into a Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer that was used as a signal boost. The settings on the TS-9 were:

Drive: 9 O'Clock
Tone: 10 O'Clock
Level: 12 O'Clock

This was fed into the amp that was used on all of the rhythm and leads. The amp used was a Mesa Boogie (2 Channel) Dual Rectifier that was straight from the box. The Mesa Recto was routed into a Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab with the stock 75 Celestions they have. Settings on the Mesa Recto were:

Silicon Diode Setting
Bold Setting
Red (Modern) Channel
Treble: 11.30
Mids: 10 O'Clock
Bass: 11.30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 12.30
Master: 10 O'Clock

There were 4 tracks of rhythm, with 2 tracks being panned 100% left and right, and the other set being panned 80% left and right. There was no compression, limiting, etc...only a slight touch of EQ used. Two Shure SM-57's were used for recording, one on the center of the cone about an inch away. This was the approximate's denoted by Andy Sneap previously.

ENEMIES OF REALITY:

7 String guitars loaded with EMG 707 pickups
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 (Se Similar to Above)
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

That's the best compilation I've seen so far. If anyone like Andy wants to make corrections, feel free, but I think it's all pretty accurate...:)

actually it wasn't an ESP on dead heart, can't remember the name of the gtr, but we used a guage 80 bass string on the low B. Enemies is actually 3 rhythm tracks.

Going to be trying a bunch of new gear on the new album, including Krank stuff if they get it to me in time.

Now I've found out how to post pics up here I'll keep you up to date with pics etc from the session.

Andy Sneap said:
actually it wasn't an ESP on dead heart, can't remember the name of the gtr, but we used a guage 80 bass string on the low B. Enemies is actually 3 rhythm tracks.

Going to be trying a bunch of new gear on the new album, including Krank stuff if they get it to me in time.

Now I've found out how to post pics up here I'll keep you up to date with pics etc from the session.
That's awesome, and thanks for the corrections. You'll have to keep us updated on the gear and how tracking on new album goes. If you get that Krank stuff in time, I'm curious to know how that sounds. I haven't gotten to try one yet, but I've heard good things.

Andy Sneap said:

Wow... guage .80 - that's insane. I am now rethinking my desire to tune my new ESP 7 string to B flat.
:OMG:

Kazrog said:
Wow... guage .80 - that's insane. I am now rethinking my desire to tune my new ESP 7 string to B flat.
:OMG:

I tune my neckthrough Dean 6 string to B flat using 13's. Works great. I bought a Schecter 7 string so I could get a low b "standard"... it just collects dust though because I would rather stick with a 6 string. I would consider an LP baritone for getting low tunings, but I played one at a local shop and it was horrible (the setup), so it's hard to say for sure. Boy, I really strayed off topic there huh? o_O

I actually think 80 is too thick, 56 is good if you can get away with the tuning, you lose too much attack with the really thick strings, anyway, we've strayed off topic here.

Andy Sneap said:
I actually think 80 is too thick, 56 is good if you can get away with the tuning, you lose too much attack with the really thick strings, anyway, we've strayed off topic here.

60 was the best that worked for us, for "drop-A". 70 was too much and 56 too weak, and flimsy. just to keep the offtopic offtopic :D

Hop,

What are you running the 52's on guitar-wise? This is a 6 string, right?... as I think you said you were chompin' at the bit for a 7. I plan on running a nicely downtuned 6 string at some point as well. Though I think B or A# will be the lowest I go on the low string. I had been thinking of using a 56 for that string, but if I could get good tension with a 52 that'd be even better.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
I can get down to Nile Tuning (Drop A#) with a set of 52's and they hold steady enough for me.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
I'm using an ESP viper 301 (the one that looks kinda like an SG but warped somewhat)

http://www.espguitars.com/ltd_viper.htm

Looks like they don't make the 301 anymore, but all the ESP's i've tried are ready and willing to drop and hold their tuning.

Edit: I use Ernie ball 10-52's btw.
I've been really impressed with the cost to quality ratio of LTD stuff.

I used an bass D and G string for a while, tuning A or Bb. :kickass:
It was a bit weird at the beginning, but worked fine. And so fucking hard to gallop.
Nowadays I use regular 7 strings when I downtune 6 strings axes, and save the poor fragile e string for emergencies. :p